• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Help picking scope for MR762A1

Which scope should I buy

• S&B 3-20 Ultra Short w/ MSR 2

Votes: 15 65.2%
  • ZCO 4-20 w/ MPCT3X

Votes: 6 26.1%
  • TT 3-15M w/ Gen 3xr

Votes: 1 4.3%
  • Vortex 1-10

Votes: 1 4.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

TacosGigante

Sergeant
Supporter
Minuteman
Oct 29, 2013
VA
I know there are other recent threads on this very topic but we are all unique snowflakes and I wanted to get into insight given my unique(?) needs.

I came across a HK MR762A1 that I couldn't resist. I now need glass. I have narrowed it down to four options discussed below. The use case will be a mix of 100-1000 yard shooting, groups and steel. I can afford any of the options but am not looking to spend more than I have to. I would like to minimize weight but understand that this thing is going to be heavy no matter how you slice it, so if the better option is a little heavier no biggie.

The four options are:

1. S&B 3-20 Ultrashort - Never had S&B but am familiar with their reputation. I like the mag range and the MSR reticle seems very useful, though I generally prefer tree reticles. Downsides are the limited mounting options and wonky illumination knob. I am left-handed but on a gas gun this is not the deal-breaker it would be on a bolt.

2. ZCO 4-20 - I have a ZCO 5-27 and the glass is great. It is heavy and I find the scope tube itself garish, and the relevant mounting option is heavy, but I already have it in hand so I will save some money.

3. TT 3-15M - I have a TT 3-15P and it is great. I figure that because this gun is not multicaliber the toolless re-zero is less valuable and the lower weight is attractive. It is the most expensive option however and has significantly less magnification than the options above.

4. Vortex 1-10 - The dark horse candidate. It would be cheaper and lighter but a good bit. Downside is the topping out at 10x and narrow eyebox. I don't think I am going to be doing any running and gunning with this, so the 1x is probably not that valuable, but I figured I would throw it in as a alternative path.

Thanks for the insight.

Reactions: Huskydriver
I just put a tract toric 4-20 on my ar10 and love the mag range. I had a 4.5x30 on it but never really used 20 to 30x other than zeroing. Out to 1k 20x is more than enough.

Reactions: TacosGigante
90D76B9E-79A7-40B2-9819-1A872B8A4EF2.jpeg
I built a G28 clone back in 2015 and went out of my way to get the new 3-20x Ultra Short H59 at the time. It cost a pretty penny but is a fantastic scope and suits the rifle well with its overall length and magnification range. That said, they’re pretty damned expensive. The other scopes on your list are similarly expensive, so I would chalk it up to personal preference in your case. You might also consider the Steiner 2.9-20x if you can get a good deal (I have one on my other .308 gas gun and really like it).

I would skip the 1-10x Razor unless you only plan to shoot inside of 400m. I had one for about a year and while it’s a great scope and good value, I always found the high end of its magnification a bit of a pain. In general I find that LPVOs are better suited to shorter range engagements, instead opting for something with a mid-power range with a canted RDS because I shoot longer range mostly.
D931F89C-46E5-4FE2-A21A-69281E255065.jpeg

I know there are other recent threads on this very topic but we are all unique snowflakes and I wanted to get into insight given my unique(?) needs.

I came across a HK MR762A1 that I couldn't resist. I now need glass. I have narrowed it down to four options discussed below. The use case will be a mix of 100-1000 yard shooting, groups and steel. I can afford any of the options but am not looking to spend more than I have to. I would like to minimize weight but understand that this thing is going to be heavy no matter how you slice it, so if the better option is a little heavier no biggie.

The four options are:

1. S&B 3-20 Ultrashort - Never had S&B but am familiar with their reputation. I like the mag range and the MSR reticle seems very useful, though I generally prefer tree reticles. Downsides are the limited mounting options and wonky illumination knob. I am left-handed but on a gas gun this is not the deal-breaker it would be on a bolt.

2. ZCO 4-20 - I have a ZCO 5-27 and the glass is great. It is heavy and I find the scope tube itself garish, and the relevant mounting option is heavy, but I already have it in hand so I will save some money.

3. TT 3-15M - I have a TT 3-15P and it is great. I figure that because this gun is not multicaliber the toolless re-zero is less valuable and the lower weight is attractive. It is the most expensive option however and has significantly less magnification than the options above.

4. Vortex 1-10 - The dark horse candidate. It would be cheaper and lighter but a good bit. Downside is the topping out at 10x and narrow eyebox. I don't think I am going to be doing any running and gunning with this, so the 1x is probably not that valuable, but I figured I would throw it in as a alternative path.

Thanks for the insight.

Feel free to give me a call at 916-670-1103x2 and I can go over the pros and cons to help you pick the correct scope :)

Also we have 3 out of 4 in stock as of this post o_O

The 3-20 Ultrashort is an amazing optic, It does not have limited mounting options. Plenty of tube space for any one piece mount. The 5-20US is the one with limited mounting options. I have a 5-20 on my 308 gasser, little shorter than the 3-20. Can't go wrong with the TT or ZCO either, pic the one with your favorite reticle. Vortex gets a meh... from me, not alpha glass.
LarueOBR.jpg

If I had to choose, it would be between the Vortex and the ZCO. This is dependent on what type of shooting you will primarily do.

I look at a Semi Auto .308 as a 800 yards and in platform. If its going to live on a bench or shooting prone on a mat, I would go for the ZCO. Its an incredible optic as you already know. The FOV will come in very handy along with a great tree reticle for holdover corrections.

If there is more movement, you care about weight and heads up shooting, the vortex is hard to beat. You can still make hits out to 1K with it, but it will not be as easy.

You really need to realistic about your expected range. I wouldn’t set up that particular barrel length in 308 for 1000 yard shooting. Sounds good in theory but almost never works out.
800 yards with a 20” 5-600 with 16”.
Not saying you can’t do it, but I never had any luck with consistency at that range.
A 1-10 to 3-15 is about perfect for the platform’s capability.
Just my opinion.

I have an MR762 in a G28 configuration. ERA-TAC mount and an S&B 3-20 US scope. Ringing steel all day long out to 900+ yrds. I’m sure it’d do 1000 yrds, but the range doesn’t go out that far. The S&B is perfect on it.

Nightforce ATACR 4-16 or Leupold Mk5HD 3.6-18 would be great on that gun. But if you want TT or ZCO glass, then you want TT or ZCO glass.
I agree but I find the eyebox on the Leupy to be really tight and I don't like the NF rotating ocular. Truly I am a princess with a pea.

I must be easy. I've got a Bushnell LRTS 3-12 on my large frame AR, and a Vortex Razor 3-18 on my precision bolt gun. Love them both, but I haven't been behind anything nicer than a Minox ZP5 or a Vortex AMG.

I must be easy. I've got a Bushnell LRTS 3-12 on my large frame AR, and a Vortex Razor 3-18 on my precision bolt gun. Love them both, but I haven't been behind anything nicer than a Minox ZP5 or a Vortex AMG.
It is truly a lucky man who is content with what he has and does not succumb to the sirens’ song of alpha glass.