• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Help please! changed stocks binding up NOT FIXED!

Seekers

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 8, 2009
Newman Lake WA
I have a new 5R, that hasn't been shot yet. I got a used Bell & Carson stock from a member off the hide here for it but just got a torque wrench and tipton vise to put it on right.

After I torqued it to 65 Inch pounds the bolt wouldn't operate or the safety. Needless to say I've gone over everything I can thing of including removing it from stock, trying it with and without safety on, fired and unfired. I've also tried backing it down from 65 inch pounds to see how low it goes and have gotten down to 35. (and it still locks up)

This operated fine in the original stock for dry firing.

It seems to primarily be the front bolt/screw, if that helps.

any and all suggestions are appreciated, except ones that call for money... ;-)

THIS ABOVE WAS FIXED BY TORQUING WITH BOLT OUT UNTIL TODAY!

<span style="font-weight: bold">NEW PROBLEM OR CONTINUATION!!!

OK, took to the range for break in, loaded and took careful aim only to get a "click" when I pulled the trigger! After trying again 2-3 more times I notice that the bolt is going forward all the way but not locking down all the way. Shells do not have firing pin mark.

Thanks Again
</span>

Seekers

BTW: I've already sold original stock I need to make this work if possible I can't afford another one.

Re: Help please! changed stocks binding up

When you say bolt wouldn't operate what do you mean? Could your front action bolt be coming up through the receiver into the bolt area and causing problems?

Loosen the front action bolt and see if it opens.

should I try to torque it with the bolt open and see if I can feel the bolt?

Just make sure that neither action bolt is coming up and messing with the bolt.

took bolt out and torqued, put bolt back it and it seems to work fine...

go figure

thanks for help

Seekers

make sure that the stock is letting the bolt handle cam all the way down. Or it could be that something is binding up the lugs. Is the stock bedded?

The stock is not stopping the bolt handle, this is not bedded.

If I back off the front screw just a little it will close completely.

But then it won't be to the 65 inch pounds

thanks,

Seekers

65 inch pounds is not the end all be all to torque settings. try backing it down to 60,55,50,45 and so on until you get to the highest torque setting that allows the bolt to close right. 65 is again not the "universal torque setting" try that and come back and tell us what you got the torque down to where the bolt operates normally. Also you might look into bedding the stock

It does seem like the front screw is the problem, as it still does the first problem also. If you torque it with bolt in bolt is frozen or unable to be moved.

What is the cure if front screw is interfering with the bolt?

shorten bolt or is it more serious?

Seekers

how far down have you backed it out? Back it out 5 inch pounds at a time until the bolt has no interference and works as it should. If it doesnt i am not sure about cutting the action screw down, you might pm HateCA or WNRoscoe and ask about that one

The front bolt is too long, this is a common problem when switching stocks, just use a bench grider or dremel tool to cut 2 to 3 threads off the bolt, deburr the edges and try it again. Make sure that when you trim the bolt that you can thread it into the action by hand before trying it thru the stock. You shouldn't have to force the screw into the action, trim a few threads at a time till your problem is solved. Torque to 55 INCH pounds

Backed it all the way down to 40 and still wouldn't open

going to try to shorten the screw,

thanks

Seekers

obvious question but ill ask, are you sure that you have the right action screw in the right hole? The longer one should be in the back and the shorter one in front

Used dremel and cut 2 threads off and buffed it up. Installed and torqued to 65 inch pounds.

everything works GREAT!

THANK YOU, GUYS!

I have to wait another WEEK for break in... :-(

but it'll work this time ;-)

Seekers