• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Help Please -- M1A

1943m1garand

Private
Minuteman
Oct 24, 2007
Virginia, USA
I keep reading that everyone seems to regret every weapon they sold. But I would really like to sell my Springfield M1A (Loaded) to finance the new LaRue OBR/OSR (I think the offical name is now the OBR). I'm torn becuase the LaRue is a better rifle, but I love the walnut and steel of the M1A. Thoughts? I know keep the M1A and buy the La Rue anyway, but money is not unlimited.
frown.gif

Re: Help Please -- M1A

id keep the M1A. im sure the Larue is a good gun, but im just not sold on the 308 ar platforms. if they were all standardized like the ar15 platform with complete interchangeability of parts then i would change my mind.

If you have a garand, keep that for the nostalgia purposes and sell the M1A. The LaRue is a better gun in almost every way.

I share turbosa's views; I want to wait until the dust settles some, before I would pick out a .308 AR. With everyone making their own lower that uses a different mag, it would be nice if the company was either still around to offer support in ten years, or still making the gun. Does anybody remember the Bushmaster .308? I didn't think so.

I feel much the same way about gas piston ARs, but that's a different story.

You shouldn't have any trouble selling the M1A if you decide to, depending on price and condition. I say it's your gun and your decision; we all have different tastes. The M1A is a relatively maintenance-intensive platform, and parts aren't getting any cheaper. I set up my M1A to be 'accurate enough,' and am satisfied with the groups it will shoot. It is what it is, and if I need better accuracy I'll use a bolt gun.

I have both an Armalite AR10 and a Springfield Armory M1A.I have the M1A unscoped and the AR10 scoped. Different platforms with different uses. Keep the M1A if you like it and can afford to.

Thanks for the help guys. I've been really torn over this because I do love the look and feel of the M1A. I do have a Garand which is more or less the same thing when it comes to the aesthetic pleasures.

I know that the La Rue or LWRC are better shooting platforms, but I am concerned about the standardization issues. I know that the La Rue carrier and bolt are proprietary designs.

Perhaps I'll wait another year.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: nicholst55</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Does anybody remember the Bushmaster .308? </div></div>

In fact I don't have any idea what you are talking about. No joke.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 1943m1garand</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: nicholst55</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Does anybody remember the Bushmaster .308? </div></div>

In fact I don't have any idea what you are talking about. No joke. </div></div>

Yes, I do, it took FAL magazines and is now manufactured by RRA as the LAR-8.

I love the M1A, but the AR-10 types are more practical as a precision platform -- provided you can only have one and it's a precision rifle you're looking for. But in my opinion the M1A is a better battle rifle.

I don't have any 308 ARs but I have two M1A's. I installed my standard into an EBR chassis and left the Loaded more or less as is for my wife. I can't see myself parting with either of the two. No they're not bolt gun accurate but they're a blast to shoot and are great fun. The Loaded is my wife's favorite of hers to shoot. She would kill me if I sold it.