• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

help please, new ar-10 cycling problem

fastford

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
  • Sep 10, 2008
    Central, Texas
    finally put together another ar-10. it has a 21" complete noveske upper, and I assembled the lower. Took it out sunday. It shot sub 1/2 moa 5 shot groups, but it would not cycle. It would not load the next round into the chamber without pulling the charging handle back. I used 168 BH ammo. Any ideas?
    Chris

Re: help please, new ar-10 cycling problem

Was the carrier properly lubed?

Try different ammo?

Short strokin' maybe, put 1 round in a known reliable magazine pull the CH all the way and release. Pull the CH again to eject the round the bolt should be locked to the rear. Otherwise it could be the gas system or ammo...check the gas key and gas rings also.

First, try lubing the hell out of it.

Then, put 1 round in a mag and fire it and see if the bolt locks back.

If it does not lock back, it is probably short-cycling.

Next, try putting a suppressor on and repeating the above.

If it is short cycling, check to make sure you have the correct buffer and spring. AR-10's with carbine stocks need a special buffer and spring.

If that stuff is correct, chances are you need more gas.

Where is the brass going when it is ejected, using a clock system. i.e., I'm guessing your brass is probably going between 3 and 5 oclock if your muzzle is pointing toward 12.
    J

Not long ago, a buddy of mine was having an issue with his AR-10T and we narrowed it down to his gastube leaking at the gasblock because it was undersized.

Check that too.

Still if this is a complete Noveske upper, I would venture to guess that it's a problem with your lower. Buffer/tube/spring specifically.

One thing that wasn't mentioned or at least wasn't clear is that the standard Armalite Carbine buffer and tube are both longer than an AR-15's. If you want to use an AR-15 carbine buffer tube, you'll need to use one of Slash's AR-10 carbine buffers. Ultimately, I think that the AR-10 tends to work better with the longer Armalite tube and buffer. If you try and use an AR-10 buffer in an AR-15 tube, you won't have enough space for the carrier to properly cycle.

The absolute best way to diagnose your problem is to find someone else who owns an working AR-10 and swap parts around.

First try some of his mags on your rifle. Then try your upper on his lower. If that works, you'll know it's your lower. If it doesn't than the issue is in the upper. Then try his carrier with your bolt in your upper on his lower. And so on.

id definately start by changing ammo, then check to see if trigger group assembled properly...seen both of these create that situation.

Did it come with the adjustable gas block? If so did you shoot it with the valve on both settings? If it was set for the suppressor and fired without one it would probably not cycle properly.

no adj gas block. the buffer is a heavy ar10 rifle buffer from slash over on ar15.com, with the armalite spring. I did NOT lube the hell out of it, actually I wiped it down with alittle oil and ran it.

What trigger group? i had to take a little off the back of my RR2stage for my DPMS 308. little tight and didn't let the bolt slide back over it smoothly.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: fastford</div><div class="ubbcode-body">the buffer is a heavy ar10 rifle buffer from slash over on ar15.com, with the armalite spring.</div></div>

I'd start by putting in a standard buffer.

Make sure the key is properly seated and staked that and the gas manifold are not uncommon problems.The Slash buffers usally work well.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dmg308</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Make sure the key is properly seated and staked that and the gas manifold are not uncommon problems.The Slash buffers usally work well. </div></div>

I have two buddies who have AR-10's setup as carbines and run the Slash buffer. Both had loads of issues and didn't seem to want to blame the slash buffer. One thing was that both were running shorter than 20" barrels on a rifle length gas system. When one switched to a 20" factory armalite barrel, his issues were reduced. Ultimately I think the slash buffer works, when everything else is standard, but is a bitch to get working right if you change stuff up. (Like adding a can, shortening the barrel a bit, or changing your load.) There HAS to be a reason that Armalite went for the longer carbine length buffer tube and different size buffer.

The AR-10 is finicky. I'm sure Armalites buffer and buffer tube were designed to achieve the maximum amount of reliability in the system.

I went with the Armalite buffer and had no issues. I even put my entire AR-10 carbine together myself.

What about this. I decided to clean it, cant shoot until sunday. I sprayed KG3 down the gas tube. Where the gas tube meets the gas block, I got a slight dribble of kg3 coming out of it. Is that normal?

Also, the BCG was Very dry....

Chris

What about this. I decided to clean it, cant shoot until sunday. I sprayed KG3 down the gas tube. Where the gas tube meets the gas block, I got a slight dribble of kg3 coming out of it. Is that normal?

Also, the BCG was Very dry....

Chris

My DPMS TAC20 had a simular issue - send it back to DMPS and they traced it down to an out of spec bolt head. The only ammo it would cycle sorta was BH 168

Did the different ammo, oiling, buffer, - no change.

Replaced bolt head, rifle runs like a champ, on any ammo. (no surplus)

I'd send it back to Noveske, but contact them 1st. You might not be the only one with this issue. Could be the same bolt head issue.

I've had several different models of AR's come to the shop with the same problem. What I ended up doing after trying everything that everyone else said was wrong,was cut 4 coils of the buffer spring. Found out it was coil binding. After doing this I've not had any trouble from these weapons. The owners say they run Flawlessly now.

oiling the piss out of it, made it cycle perfect except one time today. 100 rounds

I would start out by single loading a round and see if the bolt locks back. If it does not then replace the Slash buffer with the standard AR10 rifle buffer and see if it locks back shooting a single round.

FastFord, I've had my A10 carbine for yrs. Although, mine is dead stock, when I first ran it, it did that shit as well. Mine was the mags. Sent them back, got now ones from Armalite that werent modified 14 mags and its never missed a beat since.

3/out