• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Help please: Vortex Fury HD 5000 AB doesn't update data from Kestrel Elite when Fury wakes up

sonchik

Private
Minuteman
Dec 28, 2022
Memphis, TN
I have brand new Vortex Fury HD 5000 AB and I paired it with my Kestrel Elite Ballistics 5700. I wanted Kestrel to provide all the data so I set 'Kestrel Solution in Fury' to ON. Fury ranges everything fine the first time but after it goes to sleep (say after the set 30 seconds) and I try to range again Fury just displays the dope for the last ranging I did. So, let's say I ranged 150 yards and it told me to go up 1.5 MOA. If I let Fury go to sleep and then reconnect to range, it will correctly display the new range (lets say 275 yards) but it will just stick to 1.5 MOA up. I tried everything - swapped batteries, 'removed' Fury from Kestrel, cleared all devices in Fury app and even found this article on Kestrel's website https://kestrelballistics.com/faqs/question/view/id/4921/

Why doesn't my Vortex Fury HD 5000 Range Finder send data when it falls asleep and reconnects to the Kestrel 5700?​

If you are having trouble with the Kestrel 5700 receiving data after reconnecting to the Vortex Fury after the Fury powers down, please try these troubleshooting steps:
  1. Disconnect Rangefinder from Kestrel
  2. Connect the Rangefinder to the Vortex Fury mobile app
  3. Go to Settings and select "Clear Paired Devices"
  4. Reconnect to the app one more time and then disconnect
  5. Pair the Vortex Fury to the Kestrel and the issue should be cleared
I followed these steps two or three times. Same result. Fury doesn't want to range anything correctly after it wakes up. Additionally, Kestrel screen doesn't update with new range, elevation and windage... it is frozen to the last ranging data before Fury went into sleep. To get Fury to read off Kestrel again I have to wipe out device in Fury app, remove it from Devices in Kestrel... reconnect, pair everything again only to get range and data off Kestrel into Fury one time... go to sleep... froze again. I thought maybe something wrong with my Kestrel. Well, I paired it with my Bushnell Nitro rangefinder and that one works like a charm; ranges just fine, obtains data from Kestrel and displays it in both the rangefinder and Kestrel.

Any idea what I'm doing wrong in/with the Fury HD AB?

Last edited:
I have brand new Vortex Fury HD 5000 AB and I paired it with my Kestrel Elite Ballistics 5700. I wanted Kestrel to provide all the data so I set 'Kestrel Solution in Fury' to ON. Fury ranges everything fine the first time but after it goes to sleep (say after the set 30 seconds) and I try to range again Fury just displays the dope for the last ranging I did. So, let's say I ranged 150 yards and it told me to go up 1.5 MOA. If I let Fury go to sleep and then reconnect to range, it will correctly display the new range (lets say 275 yards) but it will just stick to 1.5 MOA up. I tried everything - swapped batteries, 'removed' Fury from Kestrel, cleared all devices in Fury app and even found this article on Kestrel's website https://kestrelballistics.com/faqs/question/view/id/4921/

Why doesn't my Vortex Fury HD 5000 Range Finder send data when it falls asleep and reconnects to the Kestrel 5700?​

If you are having trouble with the Kestrel 5700 receiving data after reconnecting to the Vortex Fury after the Fury powers down, please try these troubleshooting steps:
  1. Disconnect Rangefinder from Kestrel
  2. Connect the Rangefinder to the Vortex Fury mobile app
  3. Go to Settings and select "Clear Paired Devices"
  4. Reconnect to the app one more time and then disconnect
  5. Pair the Vortex Fury to the Kestrel and the issue should be cleared
I followed these steps two or three times. Same result. Fury doesn't want to range anything correctly after it wakes up. Additionally, Kestrel screen doesn't update with new range, elevation and windage... it is frozen to the last ranging data before Fury went into sleep. To get Fury to read off Kestrel again I have to wipe out device in Fury app, remove it from Devices in Kestrel... reconnect, pair everything again only to get range and data off Kestrel into Fury one time... go to sleep... froze again. I thought maybe something wrong with my Kestrel. Well, I paired it with my Bushnell Nitro rangefinder and that one works like a charm; ranges just fine, obtains data from Kestrel and displays it in both the rangefinder and Kestrel.

Any idea what I'm doing wrong in/with the Fury HD AB?
Good day sonchik
I had the exact same issue. Long story is Kestral is working on update 1.51. It has not been released to the public yet. After updating the Kestral software the connection between the Fury and Kestrel will reconnect after 5 seconds (I have done some limited testing i.e. Check it about 10 times) and work as expected. I have no indication when Kestral will release the update. There is hope on the horizon and nothing is wrong with your product as I feared when I got my Fury. I was in the process of sending my Vortex back to have it tested when I received the update for Kestral and could test the software update. It was not a great experience receiving such a great product and it did not work as indicated on the manual, YouTube reviews or any data I could find. Now that the software issues on Kestral is resolved I am so pleased whith the combination of the Fury and Kestrel. I now need to get in the field for testing.

Good day sonchik
I had the exact same issue. Long story is Kestral is working on update 1.51. It has not been released to the public yet. After updating the Kestral software the connection between the Fury and Kestrel will reconnect after 5 seconds (I have done some limited testing i.e. Check it about 10 times) and work as expected. I have no indication when Kestral will release the update. There is hope on the horizon and nothing is wrong with your product as I feared when I got my Fury. I was in the process of sending my Vortex back to have it tested when I received the update for Kestral and could test the software update. It was not a great experience receiving such a great product and it did not work as indicated on the manual, YouTube reviews or any data I could find. Now that the software issues on Kestral is resolved I am so pleased whith the combination of the Fury and Kestrel. I now need to get in the field for testing.
Do you know if Kestrel published this update. I am searching but can’t find anything. Can I call someone or somewhere they helped you?

Do you know if Kestrel published this update. I am searching but can’t find anything. Can I call someone or somewhere they helped you?

Based on the release notes that one would appear to be a contact Kestrel support so they can verify you have the hardware version that is affected.

Reactions: sonchik
Having the same issue. Works great, until the fury goes to sleep. Each time it does I have to go into the kestrel and reconnect the fury.