• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Help poke holes in this "Build"

celtics10

Private
Minuteman
Jul 4, 2017
I say "build" because I'm not the putting the upper together

My brother is going to join my father and me on our annual prairie dog shoot in South Dakota this year. He's selling one of his old trap guns to help fund this build I've helped him think through, so the budget is kinda tight, around 1200 or so. I was thinking of putting together

Stag varminter/model 6 upper, no BCG, no charging handle ~370
inexpensive coated bolt ~130
charging handle with extended latch ~25
inexpensive lower, rock river, PSA, etc ~60
generic lower parts kit with grip, no trigger ~40
a2 buffer assembly ~50
DPMS a2 stock extender if I can find one ~15
a2 stock and 4.5 lb 2 stage no name trigger ~free, I have them
SWFA fixed 12x42 ~300
SWFA Salt mount ~60
Harris 6-9" with podloc ~115

Just rifle total to ~795, with scope and mount ~1155

My rationale

I have a stag 6l with about 2500 rounds through it that can shoot a 0.7 moa 5x5 with the 50 gr v max load we shoot for prairie dogs. I would never claim that it'll outshoot your WOA, etc, but that is plenty accurate for our purposes. I can make hits on pdogs out to 500 consistently if the wind is reasonable with my gun, and that's about all I expect with this build. The rifle will also pull some duty as a bench gun and we'll shoot some steel out to around 700 from time to time. The barrel is a 1/8 twist so we could toss some 69-77 gr stuff in it if we wanted to go further. My brother is about 6'4, which is why i'd like to find one of the old DPMS extenders. The rifle has to be an AR, we just prefer it for clusters of dogs and quick follow up shots. I own a fixed 12x SWFA that my brother has used on my AR and he likes the reticle, turrets, etc. A variable would be nice, but I can't think of any mil/mil FFP scopes I'd trust under a used 3-15 SWFA for about 520 in the PX. Can you guys help critique the parts list and tell me if any of the parts are going to bite me or if I can save anywhere else?

Thanks

I'd go with a Nordic Upper receiver, Bergara barrel, and a Nordic XL handguard ($305 and better than what you listed)

https://nordiccomp.com/categories/ar-15-a3-forged-upper/

http://shop.bergarausa.com/pc_product_detail.asp?key=60417F6E452249D4B3F41CDB8D168752

https://nordiccomp.com/categories/nc-1-free-float-hand-gaurds/

Brownells melonited BCG for $100

You should be able to save a few bucks on the LPK and the Buffer as well. Although I would consider an adjustable LOP stock and you need an adjustable cheek riser to get it fit to him. That is important and, other that a better barrel, probably the biggest hole I see in your parts list.

The $100 I saved you getting better parts, put it into a good drop in cartridge trigger. 2nd hole I see in your parts list.

I should have clarified, I was going with a complete upper/no bcg/no charging handle because I don't have the tools or know how to put an upper together. I know it's a bit ridiculous, but it's not my rifle and I'd rather not mess that part up. Also the barrel has to be a heavy varmint/straight profile, anything else gets crazy hot really fast. We aren't shooting three gun speed or anything, but the barrels do heat up very quickly. I appreciate the bcg and lpk tip, and I'll start looking at other triggers. For reference, I have a geissele national match, but I'll search for a slightly less expensive 2 stage for him. Thanks a bunch.

I have a pair of the Stag Model 6 Super Varminters, the second one built from the Kit using the Stag Stripped Lower. The kit Upper is complete, Includes the BCG, and also comes with the Magpul Fixed stock and A2 buffer/spring setup. About the only difference between the two mechanically is that the stripped Upper says "Any" while the factory rifle lower reads "Rifle". I especially like the idea that the rifles are built to a factory spec, which reflects that all the components were developed as a system, and whatever bugs might arise from building a rifle piecemeal have been dealt with by factory professionals.

These days, the factory offers the Stag 15 Varminter Kit for $809.99, and the Stripped Lower Receiver for $84.99, which results in a rifle that matches the factory spec and is a very well integrated setup which also includes a very nice Stag 2 Stage Trigger. I think that resulting integration is the key feature, producing a factory spec rifle for about $895, as opposed to the factory rifle purchased complete for $1084.99; and that's not a bad deal.

A piece of advice when assembling those pins and springs, etc.; get a large clear plastic bag, put everything inside it, and do the work in there. Flying bits don't get very far.

I would add the BAD lever, a pair of Nikon P-Series 30mm Mounts holding a Mueller 8-32x44 scope and a Caldwell Rail Mounted Brass Catcher. for an all-up total of about $1260, fully featured. I am assuming you already own the bipod to mount on the float tube's sling stud and a variety of AR magazines. I use the Ohuhu, etc., Harris Clones, and AR Stoner Mags.

I have two Stag 6's configured this way (except for the 6-24x40 Weaver Classic on the first one), and have been shooting Stag 6's in competition for 300yd and 600yd F T/R over nearly a decade with the first one, and getting up to speed with the second one. I gifted the first one to our 21 Y/O Granddaughter, and I built the second one for myself, precisely as closely identical as possible to the first one, since I just like every single thing about it. She shot hers in the 2017 Berger SW LR Nationals 600yd MR F T/R Stages just about a year ago. I shot a Savage 11VT 223 alongside her, then built the Stag 6 kit for myself.

I am currently doing load development for these rifles, with some emphasis on developing a goto load for both the Stag 6's and the Savage 11VT. I've found a 50gr Nosler BT load using 26.0gr-26.6gr of Varget (Hot!), and an MR/600yd Target load using the HDY 75gr HPBT-Match and 23.5gr-23.7gr of Varget. I load to magazine length. Rifle function appears normal.

While I advise to start with lower charges, I have been finding that the primers are not fully there to completely flat/sharp yet; you will have to use serious judgement about handloading for peak velocity performance from this (or any other) rifle.

I am 6" 5+", and added a Limbsaver 1" slip-on for added LOP, then got a Luth AR MBA-1 for the other rifle. If I mounted one on mine, I would remove the adjustable cheek piece, it tends to be a tad high for me but the adjustable LOP is just the ticket for folks my size.

Greg

PS Since this build is intended for a P-Dog rifle, I'll simply add that the Stag 15 Varminter Kit is accompanied by Stag's infinite shot barrel warrantee.

Last edited:
Thanks for the advice greg. I think I may just go with the kit and sell the extra stock and trigger, and the bag tip is a good idea. I appreciate the scope tip, but I switched over to FFP and matching turrets/reticle a few years ago and I'm never looking back. We'll have to pick up one more bipod, and I've been burned once on a harris knock off, I don't think I'll do that again. Was the limbsaver actually secure on the A2 stock? That might be a nice fix. And I have an MBA - 1 on my rifle and would not buy it again, the adjustments just arent rugged enough. I also appreciate the load data, but we're just factory ammo people, we don't have the time or space unfortunately.

Glad to help. Thank you for the advice about durability and the MBA-1. Luth AR also markets a great grip, they call it the Chubby Grip.

The Limbsaver slip-on was not intended as a firmly secure item, and is removed for travel since it makes the entire package too long for most gun cases. Once on, it stays on as long as one gives it a bit of care during handling. It does fit when the rifle is carried in the 46" version of this case. The supplied Stag case does not work well when the rifle is scoped.

As you've probably noted by now, I buy inexpensive, but not cheap.

I found the Black Hills 75gr HPBT Match (new and remanufactured) to shoot very well in my 24" guns, and can't tell the difference on the target between it and my handloads. The Hornady 75gr HPBT-Match, and 75gr Steel match are also excellent in my 24" rifles. Find them all here at Midway. I would go with this one for LR (beyond 300yd), and this one for nearer in.

But I handload because I simply could not afford factory ammunition in the volumes I'm shooting, or get as good consistent accuracy in my guns.

Greg

Last edited:
"inexpensive coated bolt ~130" ...... not a fan of coated BCG's .... it is a coating, and can wear off easier then a nitrated BCG

"SWFA fixed 12x42 ~300" ......... IMHO a good variable will be easier on older eyes... something like this..... Illuminated reticle can also come in handy.... I'd rather have a FFP.. but.. more money.

http://www.sportoptics.com/vortex-strike-eagle-se-1627.aspx