• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

HELP Redding Competition Die Diagram or Photo need

WARDOG

Mountain Man
Minuteman
May 27, 2009
Elk City, Idaho
Okay. I am at my wits end!
I have a Redding Competition Bushing Neck Sizing die (Micrometer Head).
I dismantled it a few days ago to clean the factory goo off.
I put it back together but something isn't jiving.
I cannot get the neck to size to the shoulder, about .060 away, and the decapping pin is about .25" too short and will not decap. The decapping pin will actually come unscrewed before it will even touch the primer.
There seems to be only one way to put that thing back together but it just isn't working.
Redding does not have a diagram for this on their website, and a diagram did't come with the set.
<span style="color: #990000">IF a fellow shooter has one of these, can they please dismantle it and show a pic of the assembly order?</span>
I feel like an idiot 'cause this thing is so simple.
Thanks-

Re: HELP Redding Competition Die Diagram or Photo need

Is this about what you have in mind?
I didn't pull the leave but here are my internals in order.

I've never tried to size the whole neck so I can't help you there.
Hope the pic helps, though.

RCBD.jpg

I have one for my 338LM. mine fortunately will allow me to unscrew the decap rod down far enough to pop the primer.
When you set up the die did you lift your press ram all the way up, them back it off a half turn and then set your bushing depth ? then you can adjust the decaping rod depth?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mutt</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Hope the pic helps, though.</div></div>

Thanks Mutt! That is <span style="font-style: italic">exactly</span> what I have.
I appreciate the quick posting too!
I'll have to call Redding tomorrow and find out why my Decapping pin is too short and WTF the deal is with sizing farther down the neck.
Have a good night-
WARDOG

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DUB DEE</div><div class="ubbcode-body">When you set up the die did you lift your press ram all the way up, them back it off a half turn and then set your bushing depth ? then you can adjust the decaping rod depth? </div></div>
I am working with a Forster press for the first time, but I don't think that is the problem. With the sleeve fully compressed into the body, and the decapping pin screwedall of the way out, the pin does not protrude below the bottom of the body of the die.
I am necking down cases. I think I have the neck length figured for the dimensions of the case I should end up with, but it still isn't advancing into the bushing far enough.
Thanks-

WARDOG,

I just got a Redding Comp set today and am having the exact same problem. Did you get in touch with Redding?

I have a Redding 243AI die which stops about .090 short of the shoulder. I sent it back and they returned it saying it wont size the neck to the shoulder, .090 short is all I should get.

The bevel on the bushing is what causes it not to size all the way to the shoulder, no bushing die I have(Redding & Hornady) or seen will size the neck all the way to the shoulder, plus it's just not needed so it's no big deal IMO.

The neck bushing die will size 90% of the neck. It will not size more than that from the design of the die using bushings. I think reddings website has that stated on there somewhere too.

EWP & Frogman, My die leaves about .088" unsized. The entire neck of my fireformed Lapua brass is .250", leaving roughly 35 percent unsized, NOT 10%. If it were only 10% I wouldn't question it, I am talking about much more than the bevel on the bushing.

Within the several correspondences with Redding never was an exact dimension given by them. When directly asked the response was that "most" of the neck would be sized and it was desired by benchresters to not size the entire neck anyway...

Thanks Mutt. Your pic came in handy tonight.

Is this about what you have in mind?
I didn't pull the leave but here are my internals in order.

Hope the pic helps, though.

Good stuff Mutt, I took mine apart to change the bushing, got busy on other things, came back to the bench, didn't have my coffee yet and said "HUH"?