• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Help! Rem 700 police project

Tx911Doc

Private
Minuteman
Jun 21, 2020
I just purchased a factory rem700 police .308 5-R threaded 24"bbl and hs precision stock. Please help me pick a scope for it and dress it . Im looking for 500-800 meter rifle. Im new in bolt action and this is my intro rifle. Thank you. Any other pertinent suggestions would be a big help. Sry if i use wrong terminology like i said im new to anything other then semi-auto's. I have the money for all scopes but dont think i need a pm2. I was thinking arken optics and a harris bipod. suppress or brake, what kind? (I need someone to kinda hold my hand , i have a lot of questions)Do i need to spend 1000-5000 on a scope? Ammo? Other assesories. I would also like to stay married when this tifle is finished so the dollars do matter. Of course if she leaves i still have my rifle. I love my rifle, i mean wife.

When done i will post pics.
Of wife, not rifle.
No she makes more money then I do, annnd shes a better shot.

So rifle pics only!

Yes my grammer is poo poo.

• Haha
Reactions: Foul Mike
Vortex strike eagle is looking like a decent option in it's price range.
Have a few buds that are testing/running them currently.
Good news so far.

R

Keep an eye on the px here for a swfa 5-20 hd used for less than $900.

That scope is still the best bang for your buck out there. You can also get it on sale during black friday.

Actually, what you have is a 700 P (parkerized).
Remington used to make the Model 700 PSS (police sharpshooter), it was a lightly customized rifle that was much superior to the current offering.

That being said, you have a good rifle, if you qualify, joining Expertvoice is an excellent way to get some discounts on rifle scopes.
This is an excellent choice for an optic and is right in your stated budget:

Harris bipods are well made and pretty much industry standard. You will see some pretty high end bipods on guys shooting PRS etc... but even some of them have returned to the harris as the extra weight and other issues have them rethinking their decision.
make sure you get a swivel model and a pod-loc. I would also recommend the notched legs. If you are going to be shooting from a bench, get the 6-9", if you are going to shoot primarily prone, 9-13".

I prefer suppressors, I find they make it easier to shoot, although a brake will offer better recoil abatement, they are many time louder and there is a concussive force emitted when you touch one off. I would much rather shoot a near hearing safe firearm than one that requires double hearing protection.

Arken optics would not be a terrible choice, just be aware, they are having supply chain issue right now.
The Athlon Mdas Tac 5-25 would be a pretty good option, chinese made.
Vortex Strike Eagle 5-25 seems like a pretty decent option, also chinese made.

The one I linked above is a proven performer and Japanese made.

My 700 Police (purchased 1989) is on the left. Add-ons include:

Timney Calvin Elite trigger.
KRG Whiskey 3 Gen 6 chassis
KRG Bolt Lift
Badger Ordinance 20 MOA scope base
Burris XTR Tactical Signature rings
Vortex PST Viper 5-25X Gen 3 Scope
Harris bipod with Hawk-Hill spiked feet
OSS HX-QD® 338 TI suppressor
SAP two-round cartridge holder

Not in the photo but I got a Cole-Tac suppressor wrap for it after this was taken.

BTW, I'm not married which is why I can afford to spend money on toys.

Rifles (3).jpg

Reactions: deersniper
I have Vortex Viper Gen 1, it's OK considering what you can buy them for, Leupold is really good for the money, Bushnell HD glass is really good also, then I jumped to Nightforce. There are tons of "good" glass and tons of great glass. Browse through the optics for sale section here, there should be plenty to choose from.

My 700 Police (purchased 1989) is on the left. Add-ons include:

Timney Calvin Elite trigger.
KRG Whiskey 3 Gen 6 chassis
KRG Bolt Lift
Badger Ordinance 20 MOA scope base
Burris XTR Tactical Signature rings
Vortex PST Viper 5-25X Gen 3 Scope
Harris bipod with Hawk-Hill spiked feet
OSS HX-QD® 338 TI suppressor
SAP two-round cartridge holder

Not in the photo but I got a Cole-Tac suppressor wrap for it after this was taken.

BTW, I'm not married which is why I can afford to spend money on toys.

View attachment 7370933
What is up with the para cord on the bipods?

I have a Vortex Razor HD II 4.5 x 27 and honestly, while a good scope, Im not overly impressed with the clarity of the glass. I got spoiled years back at a scope comparison. After looking at S&B and Hensoldt everything else looks a bit cloudy. I just dont care for most of the reticle options on the Hensoldt.

I have heard that Athlon is making some that rate above the price point.

My advice is to save up a bit, if necessary, and get the S&B. Buy right, buy once. You wont be disappointed. You may net need it but it will help your game.

My $00.02