• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

HELP Rem 700 XCR Com. bolt handle hitting stock??

kingston

▬▬ι═ Ѡ ═ι▬▬
Minuteman
Jan 26, 2010
I just received my new Remington 700 XCR Compact Tactical in 308. The bolt handle hits the stock inletting and the bolt does not seem to be closing all the way. Has anyone else had this problem. What is totally unbelievable, is that this rifle is meant to replace my '98 LTR in 308 and that gun had the same problem when new. That one I sent back to Remington, when it came back it had a new bolt. What are the odds? I swear that my LTR never shot as good with the new bolt as it did with the original. It just never seemed right again. What should I do? What should I do?

Re: HELP Rem 700 XCR Com. bolt handle hitting stock??

The truth? Don't buy their junk. I had my fill long ago.

Best of luck going forward.

Too late for that.

kingston,

You can of course you could send it back to Remington, or just slowly and carefully sand, dremel or hand file the bolt inletting deeper. Today's prices unfortunately do not include hand fitting, the action to the stock.

Or have the stock skim bedded. It will shoot better that way anyway. And that might change the geometry of the fitting enough that the bolt handle might now fit. And if you pay somebody to do the skim bedding, ask them to fix that area a well, if it still needs it.

It's just fiberglass, not gold leaf. Shoot some krylon over it when your done sanding/removing the glass.

Bob

the first thing I would do is loosen the action screws enough to set the recoil lug by hitting the buttstock. An assembly line is not going to ensure that the recoil lug is set. If that does not do it sand it as suggested previously.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: crzyeye</div><div class="ubbcode-body">the first thing I would do is loosen the action screws enough to set the recoil lug by hitting the buttstock. An assembly line is not going to ensure that the recoil lug is set. If that does not do it sand it as suggested previously. </div></div>

I always thought that the recoil lug was seated toward the rear of the stock. Are you saying that it should be seated toward the front of the stocks recoil lug inlet?

Kingston, good advice above, unfortunately my experience was flip a coin every new rifle, about my ration of problematic vs. non-problematic Rem's.

I'd tackle the adjustment on the stock before sending it back to Rem, due to the time/money, and trouble to return it. I had to do a slight adj. once to a BDL/SS when I dropped the metal into an HS stock. Slightly touched, not a good thing, but a few minutes with a sharp knife relieved it.

BobinNC nailed it. Just use a round file. That Dremel can get away from you in a hurry and turn an easy fix into a BIG MESS.

Don't ask me how I know.

david

Thanks for your replies. I am comfortable working with hand tools,etc. I am just worried that if I modify the stock or the like, Remington will not warranty the problem, should this not solve it, Also, will I have to paint the stock after opening up the rear of the bolt handle inletting or does the stock's green color continue into the core? This is an HS Precision stock.

in reply to the recoil lug. Yes the recoil lug is seated against the back so if you loosen the action screws just a touch, grab the barrel, and then hit the butt pad on the floor it will ensure proper seating. Re tighten at 65in pounds and all should be good. If it is a stock cut issue Remington will still honor the warranty I am sure. Just do not do any unauthorized grinding on the action itself.

Bolt handle does not contact the stock on mine.

Well I think that I found a fix. I will start another thread to discuss it.