• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Help removing broken Allen key

blaserman33

Private
Minuteman
May 23, 2011
Phoenix,AZ
Anyone have suggestions on how to remove a broke. Allen key from inside a Gas Block set screw? I Stupidly tried to remove my gas block with a Ball End Hex Key and the Ball broke off inside the screw. I have gotten the ball “un-stuck” to where it will move around inside the screw, rotates back and forth, but won’t fall free and doesn’t come out from a magnet or when held upside down and tapped on top of the gas block. I tried drilling it to insert a small easy out and it barely made a dent and I would rather not drill out the whole screw, especially since it would still require drilling the key which is hard as hell.

Can you replace the screw with the broke piece still in it? Might try compressed air to get under it?

Can you replace the screw with the broke piece still in it? Might try compressed air to get under it?

What do you mean can I replace the screw? I can’t get it out of the gas block. The Allen key broke before I got the screw out and with that piece in it, I can’t get another Allen key in it to remove the screw. And it’s a set screw so I can’t put vise grips on the head or cut a slot into it, there is no head. I suppose if I can’t get the Allen key out I could cut a slot in it, but it’s going to cut into the gas block as well so at that point I would likely have to replace the gas block.

I haven’t tried compressed air, I suppose I will give it a shot but I’ll have to find a small needle type fitting to direct the air because it’s only about a 1/4” diameter screw, so the Allen key is a 5/32” IIRC, so it’s a small gap.

Super glue or purple or blue threadlocker.
I tried that with a dab of 5-minute epoxy but couldnt keep it from also squishing onto the screw as well so I didn’t let it set. But super glue isn’t as thick so maybe I can get it to stay in place a little better. I’ll try that tomorrow. Do you think it would be better to try it with a needle so the glue doesn’t spread to the screw? Or use something approximately the diameter of the Allen key so it has more surface area for the glue to hold onto?

Magnet can work usually. I have watched my buddy do this multiple times no matter how many times I tell him a ball end isn't good for loosening tight hex screws...

I tried that with a dab of 5-minute epoxy but couldnt keep it from also squishing onto the screw as well so I didn’t let it set. But super glue isn’t as thick so maybe I can get it to stay in place a little better. I’ll try that tomorrow. Do you think it would be better to try it with a needle so the glue doesn’t spread to the screw? Or use something approximately the diameter of the Allen key so it has more surface area for the glue to hold onto?

If using super glue, you'll want more surface area. If using low strength threadlocker use the needle. If you accidentally apply too much, direct heat from lighter should be more than enough to burn off the small amount of adhesive

If you try with compressed air, blow the air across the screw head, not at the screw head. Creates low pressure, like how lift with aircraft wings work.

Reactions: mettee
If it hasn't deformed the screw inside and made a pocket from which it will NEVER come out of.... :D

I very strong rare earth magnet might work. But unless you happen to already have one, acquiring one may not be worth it.

Take a Dremel tool and cut the gas block off....
If you would have done that in the first place you would be out shooting by now.
Well the gas block is still on the gun so I can shoot it all I want. And have shot it hoping the ball would fall out from recoil but it didn’t.

If it hasn't deformed the screw inside and made a pocket from which it will NEVER come out of.... :D

I very strong rare earth magnet might work. But unless you happen to already have one, acquiring one may not be worth it.

I don’t think there is a pocket. I can get the ball to move back and forth pretty easy and it broke pretty quickly, I didn’t apply a ton of torque before it broke.

I’ll try Loctite this afternoon and if that doesn’t work compressed air, if that doesn’t work I’ll just cut the gas block, I just hate to do that.

Tap on it with a punch and make sure it's not locked in, look for a little movement. Then try the air, hold it upside down too...gravity can't hurt

Reactions: Taylorbok
I'd also guess it made itself a little pocket inside the head. hit it with a sharp chisel in the opposite direction you were turning it when it broke, hopefully it will dislodge.

Reactions: mettee
Isn't this just gluing it in to ensure it never comes out?
Not talking about filling it with Loctite, but putting a small dab on top of it and glueing a tie wire or small diameter Allen key to the broken piece so I can pull on it. I could also use super glue instead of Loctite, or any quick setting glue

Like crazy glue on a pin or something real thin,, I think anything bigger is asking for trouble.

I don't see loctite doing anything, not made for that, but is made to fill in gaps which you don't want to do.

Easiest way to cut it off is to Dremel a deep cross on the block. Then use a screw driver to remove the gas block. that way you do not damage the barrel.

Reactions: bfoosh006
If there is any room left to use a allen bit on top of broken piece you can try mounting barrel in vise on drill press. With the power off put a bit in the chuck, use the lever to put downward force on the screw and turn the chuck with your and or a pair of channellocks.