• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Help - riflescopes to see 22LR holes at 200 yrds

westopecos

Sergeant
Minuteman
Aug 22, 2010
What scopes would you recommend that would not break the bank?

My 2 young sons (pre-teen and early teen) are just now starting to participate in low level competitive shooting at our local club, shooting 22LR between 100 and 200 yards. One of them uses a CZ Scout, while the other uses my 452 FS with a Mannlicher stock. Using a spotting scope is quite time consuming, and, as Greg L suggested, I would like to get them both (I need to buy two units) scopes with enough clarity and magnification that they will be able to see their bullet holes @ 200 yards. But I don't want to break the bank either, particularly since you never now how long boys will stick with an activity.

I figure I need something with 20x to 30x magnification on the high end, and 44mm to 50mm objective. Of course I need large amounts of moa adjustments. I ordered them two 6-24x50mm Vortex Crossfire with a 1" tube (due mid October), but, after discussion with users of these scopes, it appears that these scopes will only do the job in the right light conditions, for what I need them to do. As we know, these bullet holes are small.

What do you think I should get them, considering that there are significant budget constraints on this purchase? I will buy them what they need in the end, but I am not looking forward to spending a huge amount on this. I just got the older boy set for his first deer and waterfowl hunts, and it already was a good budget hit.

Btw - right now they are using regular hunting scopes. The younger boy has a Weaver 2.5-7x28 on the CZ Scout, while the older one uses a Kahles 2-7x36 AO on the 452 FS.

Re: Help - riflescopes to see 22LR holes at 200 yrds

cameraland has the vortex vipers in 6.5-20x44 and 6.5-20x50 for $249.99 amd 279.99, respectively, on sale right now. both great scopes for the money. I also like the nikon buckmasters in 6-18x40.

In my experience, good quality clarity is much better than less expensive scopes that just have higher magnification. I have a 6-24x40 Bushnell Banner that costs $150 - $200, and seeing little .17 holes with it at 200 yards is very hard. With the crystal clear 5-15x50 Bushnell Elite 3200 that I use now I can see them at 200 on brown paper totally easily. With a shoot n c I can see the holes at 300 yards. I'll never part with this scope. Here's a 5-15x40 on Amazon for $293...

http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B...p;condition=new

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: tansinator</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Weaver T36 will give you your best shot.....Can be had for about $350. </div></div>
I agree, they are great scopes for the money, you may even find one cheaper if you don't mind someone else's scratches and ring marks. Another good choice would be the early made in Japan Tasco target scopes.

Tansinator/ 168: thanks a lot for the T36 suggestion, I was not thinking about it. I have used one in the past but not for that purpose. Can you reliably discern 22 bullet holes at 200 yards with it?

Small Bore: really glad to read that the 3200 5-15x50 will actually do the job. I was considering one, but I was not sure if 15x would be enough.

2guard: thanks for the tip! Have you actually used them to reliably see 22 bullet holes at 200 yrds? I would like to make sure they will work for me:)

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: WestOfPecos</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Tansinator/ 168: thanks a lot for the T36 suggestion, I was not thinking about it. I have used one in the past but not for that purpose. Can you reliably discern 22 bullet holes at 200 yards with it? </div></div>

You should easily be able to see the holes at 200 with a T36. Another scope you might consider is one of the Lyman Light Weight Bench Rest or All American scopes, they can be had fairly reasonably in 20X to 25X and you can have Wally Siebert bump it up to 35X or 40X. I have one in 40X that works very well.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: WestOfPecos</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Small Bore: really glad to read that the 3200 5-15x50 will actually do the job. I was considering one, but I was not sure if 15x would be enough. </div></div>

Yeah it actually has some sort of HD lens too. It's pretty cool. It's like better than your own eye sight.

i presently have a 4-16x on one .22 and a .22 mag, i can see them ok after a little concentration. i also had a 6-18x, a 8-32x and 6-24x on another. i think these higher powers are great for target, but the 6x really messes you up if you take it hunting at short range.

clarity and something 14x or higher would do fine, but i do like the higher powers for target dedication.

At 200yds I can quickly pick out 22lr holes anywhere they may have ended up with my 8x32 sightron. I have this scope on my LTR and use it as a spotting scope when my buddies are shooting long range with 22lr's. I also have a V24 6x24 weaver on my 22lr TR and I can find the holes I just have to try a bit harder. I really like the V24, your a bit limited in elevation but it's a good scope for a 22lr over all for the money. 1/8" click value at 100yds may put some people off, but I like it on my 22.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: WestOfPecos</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Tansinator/ 168: thanks a lot for the T36 suggestion, I was not thinking about it. I have used one in the past but not for that purpose. Can you reliably discern 22 bullet holes at 200 yards with it? </div></div>

About 75% of the time. You have to take into account range conditions....shadows, mirage and such. I know this did not fit your original standards but I have found none better for the 22lr.

Eddie

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: tansinator</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: WestOfPecos</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Tansinator/ 168: thanks a lot for the T36 suggestion, I was not thinking about it. I have used one in the past but not for that purpose. Can you reliably discern 22 bullet holes at 200 yards with it? </div></div>

About 75% of the time. You have to take into account range conditions....shadows, mirage and such. I know this did not fit your original standards but I have found none better for the 22lr.

Eddie </div></div>

If all you are doing is shooting at 200yds, I can see the T36 being an almost ideal scope, but don't you find 36x way too much magnification for closer ranges (say 50yds...even 100yds for that matter)?

Just curious because I am also looking into scopes for both a .22LR BR rifle and a new trainer I am in the process of putting together.

This is a pic of a tree at exactly 200 yards. It was taken through my Bushnell Elite 3200 at 15X (it's much better in person). If you had a target on there, believe me, you would definitely see .22 holes. (The scope is straight it's just leaning in the shot)

DSC01335.jpg

^ Yeah I don't really care about target turrets but I definitely would like a mildot reticle. Only thing I would improve on my scope.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ORD</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: tansinator</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: WestOfPecos</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Tansinator/ 168: thanks a lot for the T36 suggestion, I was not thinking about it. I have used one in the past but not for that purpose. Can you reliably discern 22 bullet holes at 200 yards with it? </div></div>

Eddie </div></div>

If all you are doing is shooting at 200yds, I can see the T36 being an almost ideal scope, but don't you find 36x way too much magnification for closer ranges (say 50yds...even 100yds for that matter)?

Just curious because I am also looking into scopes for both a .22LR BR rifle and a new trainer I am in the process of putting together.</div></div>

Not at all. I use it for 50 and 100 yard comps and fun to 200 yards and it works better than anything else I could find. It would probably be too much for shooting squirrels though.

Great! Thanks for the response. I was only talking about target use...clearly squirrels with a 36x target scope is ill-advised unless you are going for those furry-tailed rats at extended ranges!
wink.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DFOOSKING</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SmallBoreSniper</div><div class="ubbcode-body">^ Yeah I don't really care about target turrets but I definitely would like a mildot reticle. Only thing I would improve on my scope. </div></div>

Why do you not like turrets? Being able to dial in and make corrections is half the fun. If you picked up a $200 on sale/$250 not on sale mil/mil bushnell 10X...it would take advantage of your comprehension/skill of hold over with simple dial-in adjustments. It ain't got parallax or high magnification but they do what its supposed to.

Dialing in elevation and hold-off for wind makes 200yds far easier IMO...plus dialing wind makes you observe the changes in speed and direction a lot more clearly... </div></div>

It's not that don't like them. I'm just good either way I guess.

T-36 is where its at. You can see your holes at 200 if conditions are just right..and at 50 yards... Well lets just say you can practice making your own Clover leaf holes
laugh.gif

Thanks to all of you for all the input - I appreciate it all! Once I get what I need and experiment with it, I'll report on the results.

Target color and backing color and thickness are important