• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Help selecting an action

Ajwillly

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 17, 2017
Ohio
The wife is willing to buy me an action.

I’ve been looking at bighorn, defiance, and impact. But if you could choose any action what would you choose?

I’m leaning towards long action so I can keep my caliber options open. I’m also leaning towards a 7SAUM just because I don’t own a 7mm.

Probably will be used in steel shoots out to 1K maybe some coyote hunting and a nice rig if I ever go hunt out west.

I have several impacts none of them are long actions, just shorts but one is a mag bolt chambered in 6.5 prc. No issues with any of the ones I have, I’ve ran a defiance tenacity as well, never really messed with the bighorn though.

Do you have any custom actions?

IMO it all depends on what you’re wanting. If MOST of the time your going be shooting inside of 1000 yards and just hunting small stuff I would go with a short action.

I have owned a defiance and now own an impact. Have shot behind just about every custom action you can get besides a lone peak.

You can’t go wrong with an impact.

I own all 3. Personal preference I would go impact, defiance then bighorn. That said I’d be happy with the defiance or impact.

Depends on what features you want in an action. They are all top tier actions.

Not a bad decision between those options, a lot of it comes down to personal preference.

Reactions: Vandoogle13
Do you have any custom actions?

IMO it all depends on what you’re wanting. If MOST of the time your going be shooting inside of 1000 yards and just hunting small stuff I would go with a short action.

I have owned a defiance and now own an impact. Have shot behind just about every custom action you can get besides a lone peak.

You can’t go wrong with an impact.
I do not, I have a couple savages, a 700 and a tikka.

For the WSM and SAUM size cartridges I’d definitely go with an intermediate length action. And a Wyatt extended mag box. It really allows you to take full advantage of the case capacity and seat the VLD bullets out far. If this is your goal I’d be looking at a Defiance of some flavor. I like their Rebel Sheep Port for this application in a hunting gun.

If you want a true short or long action I’d be going for a BAT and never looking back. The BAT HR and VR if weight doesn’t matter…a BAT Bumblebee or Vampire if you’re counting ounces.

I went In circles asking the same question. I was then lucky enough to be in a position to try several and really liked the way the impact ran. So ended up with a short action. a year later an Impact long action is at the gunsmith as we speak. The integrated lug and rail was a no brainer. I know they aren’t the only ones that do it, but a huge selling point for me.

Impact is made by a former Surgeon engineer.

Bat Machine is not a field action (IMHO). If you're just at a range shooting off a bench they are top notch, but they are not designed for the field and don't handle dust and dirt at all. They go from smooth to seized up and quit in a single pull. I've seen it.

I have tried just about every one of them, and have nothing bad to say about any of the major Mfgs discussed here, but I have to say that my Curtis Axiom with the 60 deg throw and the "DLC" coating is the smoothest/fastest action I own. I don't see them talked about often or lauded, but mine runs, and is smooth as snot, and delivers everything I could ask of it.

I really don't think you can go wrong with Impact, Big Horn, Defiance, AI, and the Tempest action GAP makes is damn good.

I find that when I throw a 90 degree bolt I feel like I'm throwing a battleship compared to a 60 degree throw. It doesn't seem like much, but it is a pretty big difference on the firing line IMHO.

Impact is made by a former Surgeon engineer.

Bat Machine is not a field action (IMHO). If you're just at a range shooting off a bench they are top notch, but they are not designed for the field and don't handle dust and dirt at all. They go from smooth to seized up and quit in a single pull. I've seen it.

I have tried just about every one of them, and have nothing bad to say about any of the major Mfgs discussed here, but I have to say that my Curtis Axiom with the 60 deg throw and the "DLC" coating is the smoothest/fastest action I own. I don't see them talked about often or lauded, but mine runs, and is smooth as snot, and delivers everything I could ask of it.

I really don't think you can go wrong with Impact, Big Horn, Defiance, AI, and the Tempest action GAP makes is damn good.

I find that when I throw a 90 degree bolt I feel like I'm throwing a battleship compared to a 60 degree throw. It doesn't seem like much, but it is a pretty big difference on the firing line IMHO.
Which BAT seized up? I've got the SAC version of the BAT TR and haven't had any issues.

Most of what I hear about Curtis are all the issues people have with them. Have you experienced anything negative with yours?

Reactions: Matt_3479
I have no idea; some benchrest action. It was extremely tight, and extremely smooth, (in a very precise gun) and the moment someone's obnoxious muzzle brake threw dust and grit into it the action it cycled once and then locked up. I gave him some lighter fluid, but it did nothing. The action was simply too tight and too precise for the field.

Mine will start getting stiff and get progressively worse till it freezes up from dust and grit. It is not so tight that you can't shoot some Ronson fluid into the action and flush it out. Once it's seized and you can't remove the bolt without a hammer the rifle is probably done for the day.

No issues. Mine runs like a top. It's not on the more expensive end, but mine has never had a hiccup and I'm about to install my 4th barrel. But, truth be told, I've never had any problems with any action I've ever bought. I have had headspace issues with barrels not set back to spec, but never with the action itself.

I sort of feel about actions like I do about scope mounting. It's pass fail, and if it's pass then we are just talking about personal preference.

Reactions: vhr1079 and Gil P.
Depends on what features you want in an action.
When people say this I literally have no idea what they are talking about, can someone help me?
Like all the "features" of an action I can think of are not even optional. Like it needs to have a bolt handle, an extractor, bolt release, accept a trigger for me it needs an ejector (I guess that is optional for some).

I guess bolt throw/ lug quantity are possible "features/options"

if they work with the caliber you want then yes any of the above all great actions hope that helped . send pic on what you finally got the complete gun not just the action .

When people say this I literally have no idea what they are talking about, can someone help me?
Like all the "features" of an action I can think of are not even optional. Like it needs to have a bolt handle, an extractor, bolt release, accept a trigger for me it needs an ejector (I guess that is optional for some).

The features you've listed are not optional- they can just be done in numerous ways.

Defiance has a matrix here:

They also have basic options here:

And that is limited to just their own line. Other mfgs have their own feature differences.

There isn't a bad pick among the bunch. As others have stated there are "features" which are essentially small details that differentiate them.

For instance: Swappable Bolt Heads (Origin)
Integral Recoil Lug: Impact and Some Defiance
Bolt Throw: Well they are all 90, but Curtis and Terminus are 60 (So is AI!!! woot woot!)
Controlled Round Feed vs Push Feed.
Ejector Type.

All of these are like options on a Luxury Car--some people want X, some people want Y, but neither of them are "Bad" its just preference.

I got to play with a TL3 (Similar to Origin) and an Impact and I "liked" the TL3 better. Does that translate into improved marksmanship? Nope. Now everyone on PRS wants to gang rape me because they all run Impacts.

Seriously they are all outstanding.

With the 7 SAUM, do look at the "Medium" Actions which sit in between SA and LA--Both Origin and Defiance (Its actually their XM!) offer "Medium" size for the "Slightly longer than SA" Cartridges like SAUM, PRC, etc but can still swap back to SA

Last edited:
Reactions: Fig

Integrated lug and/or rail
Push feed or CRF
Trigger pins or hanger
Tang thickness
Port size
90 or 60 degree bolt throw
Weight
Footprint size
Prefit availability
Type of extraction
Type of ejection
BDL, AICS, AW
Interchangeable bolt heads
Etc

I'm going to get crucified over this, but I've never felt a Defiance that didn't feel "gummy" in the raceway. I live in the dusty remants of Lake Bonneville, and I'm sure that contributes to that, but there are reasons that everyone in the area runs Lone Peak Fuzions. It ignores dust. Impact and Terminus seem to be about the same for ignoring bad conditions. I thought it was just the Tenacity that felt gummy, but this last weekend I tried a guy's Ruckus (nitrided to boot) and it felt the exact same.

I've got a TL3 being spun up in 6x47L right now, and it seems to run smooth. I know several guys with Origins and they have had no issues.

I would say Impact/Lone Peak Fuzion/Terminus Zeus > Origin > Defiance for me.

XM length bighorn, have an impact and they are great especially for PRS and any field application. Recently built a bighorn for my bros hunting gun and I liked it a lot as I broke it in and developed loads for it. I plan to get one for myself. Really want to do a 300wsm in one

I love my lone peak but my next will be a impact. Strictly due to how much they support matches. Was playing with my buddys new 223 impact yesterday and it felt very nice.

Reactions: CSTactical
I love my lone peak but my next will be a impact. Strictly due to how much they support matches. Was playing with my buddys new 223 impact yesterday and it felt very nice.
Curious what you mean? I know the Lone Peak guys support matches here in Utah with certs from time to time, and they run at least one match a year. Mike and Brian are pretty stellar guys.

Reactions: CSTactical
Curious what you mean? I know the Lone Peak guys support matches here in Utah with certs from time to time, and they run at least one match a year. Mike and Brian are pretty stellar guys.
Im sure they are but here in the NE impacts supports damn near every match in some way. Like i said my lone peak is a phenomenal action and if i could only have 1 brand id probably stick with them. I also have a good discount from impact for being a member at our range.

Long action i would look at the Mausingfield, you will have the option of bolt faces all the way up to .338 Lapua for future builds.

Im sure they are but here in the NE impacts supports damn near every match in some way. Like i said my lone peak is a phenomenal action and if i could only have 1 brand id probably stick with them. I also have a good discount from impact for being a member at our range.
Thanks for answering! It's good to hear about companies that support the sport!

Reactions: M4orturnate
I'm going to get crucified over this, but I've never felt a Defiance that didn't feel "gummy" in the raceway. I live in the dusty remants of Lake Bonneville, and I'm sure that contributes to that, but there are reasons that everyone in the area runs Lone Peak Fuzions. It ignores dust. Impact and Terminus seem to be about the same for ignoring bad conditions. I thought it was just the Tenacity that felt gummy, but this last weekend I tried a guy's Ruckus (nitrided to boot) and it felt the exact same.

I've got a TL3 being spun up in 6x47L right now, and it seems to run smooth. I know several guys with Origins and they have had no issues.

My DLC'ed Defiance with polished raceways definitely doesn't feel "gummy".

But given that it's my ELR rifle that doesn't get shot much, it doesn't get exposed to adverse conditions for any long periods. So I can't really comment on its ability to handle adverse conditions. But its slick otherwise.

Reactions: Baron23

I've only felt one defiance, it was all polished stainless and was easy to bind. This was before they released their newer tactical actions.

The only action I've felt that I couldn't get to bind was the Kelbly tactical atlas. I'd love to try their new prometheus action.

So far, what I've learned from this thread is: don't buy a curtis. Most other options are very good.

We don’t have moon dust where I shoot/hunt, but my defiance ruckus (fully nitrided) is not even slightly gummy or easy to bind. Super smooth. But, Defiance marketed ruckus as being prefit compatible. I’ve since learned that many smiths won’t cut a prefit until they have hands on with that specific action first. So that’s lame.

I've only felt one defiance, it was all polished stainless and was easy to bind. This was before they released their newer tactical actions.

The only action I've felt that I couldn't get to bind was the Kelbly tactical atlas. I'd love to try their new prometheus action.

So far, what I've learned from this thread is: don't buy a curtis. Most other options are very good.

I agree on the kelbly there! The Prometheus and nanook look awesome and if they’re even remotely similar to the atlas tac they will be killer. I cannot bind my kelbly either!! They said I can’t bind my terminus or ks ejther, and hard to force a bind on the impact

I agree on the kelbly there! The Prometheus and nanook look awesome and if they’re even remotely similar to the atlas tac they will be killer. I cannot bind my kelbly either!! They said I can’t bind my terminus or ks ejther, and hard to force a bind on the impact
I was really impressed by the kelbly atlas I played with at the range. Very light bolt throw and seemed impossible to bind.

My only complaint with the impact is that it feels just like my suped up Remington 700.

Tikka is about perfect for a 7 saum, put it in an MDT chassis and use their 3.56 tikka mags.

Op, if you’re asking an open ended question like this I’ll list my dream rifle. I’ll try to live vicariously through anyone

Long action Mausingfield with at least the 3 largest bolt heads. This gives you the flexibility to shoot cartridges ranging from the BR Norma all the way up to Lapua Magnum & Tubb XC rounds.

I was really impressed by the kelbly atlas I played with at the range. Very light bolt throw and seemed impossible to bind.

My only complaint with the impact is that it feels just like my suped up Remington 700.

Of all my actions I think the kelbly is the lightest/smoothest bolt cycle. From open, slide and close its the overall smoothest. The terminus is the smoothest bolt close. The lone peak is too new as I just received it tn but it has a similar steady bolt feel to the kelbly but more sturdy like the defiance/impact feel. Little hard to explain

Reactions: Gil P.
If you are going the custom action route, it SHOULD have:
Integral Recoil lug
Integral Rail or bases
Integral bolt handle

If not, there are better choices out there..

They are made extremely well no doubt about it...

Mike R.
Lone peak makes a good action but they have caused me two headaches recently. Same issue just two separate occasions.......second happened before I was aware of the first.

Check for a burr around the ejector hole. It can leave the customer with a false high pressure ejector swipe mark. I ate shipping both ways and spent a bit of time racking my brain until I finally found it with a sharp dental pick.

My action recommendation starts at Impact 737, it has been the most consistent by far in dimensions and I greatly appreciate the lack of tweaks/changes throughout the life of the line.

Don't fix it if it ain't broke.

Ern

Reactions: Baron23
If you are going the custom action route, it SHOULD have:
Integral Recoil lug
Integral Rail or bases
Integral bolt handle

If not, there are better choices out there..
I think those are best determined by need.

• Switching barrels a lot? Yes to the integral recoil lug.
  • Don't want to mess with possible screws coming loose and losing zero? integral rails.
  • Don't want to spend an extra $300 - $400? No integral rails
  • Want to swap bolt handles, or put an aftermarket on? Non-integral bolt handle
  • Need low profile magazines? AW cut
What is best is determined by the consumer's needs, not yours. The whole point of going custom is to get something suited to your needs, not one size fits all.

Lone peak fuzion is the smoothest action I’ve ever fondled

The Lone Peak Fuzion is one of my favorite pushfeed actions.

I purchased one to build my wife's 6BRA rifle. Initially tried a TL3 action, but she couldn't get along with the floating bolt head and the potential binding and feeling of "sloppyness" that came with it.

Runs flawlessly in all conditions, love the features, and ranks very high in everyone's favorite intangible action metric - "feel".

Defiance owners be like
its-flat-sosmooth.gif

Impact owners be like
7a7087b0-aa3f-476d-9335-d8a0b221731b_text.gif

Bighorn owners be like
its-smooth-as-butter-bricky.gif

Lone Peak owners be like
002f6781-37eb-4091-b8db-e768c8573553_text.gif

Terminus owners be like
original.gif

Ruger Owners be like
feel-so-rough-wouter-de-backer.gif

Tikka owners be like
lick-ewww.gif

Last edited:
I think those are best determined by need.

• Switching barrels a lot? Yes to the integral recoil lug.
  • Don't want to mess with possible screws coming loose and losing zero? integral rails.
  • Don't want to spend an extra $300 - $400? No integral rails
  • Want to swap bolt handles, or put an aftermarket on? Non-integral bolt handle
  • Need low profile magazines? AW cut
What is best is determined by the consumer's needs, not yours. The whole point of going custom is to get something suited to your needs, not one size fits all.

If one is going to spend money on a Custom action, buy a real custom.. not a Rem 700 clone and attach things to it with tiny screws.

If not, rather get a sporterized Sako TRG-22 action.. also known as Tikka T3.
Which is equal to and better then most other Custom Rem 700 clones, except those with integral recoil lug, rail and bolt handle.
Well, even most of those, when it comes to running it in adverse conditions..

If one is going to spend money on a Custom action, buy a real custom.. not a Rem 700 clone and attach things to it with tiny screws.

If not, rather get a sporterized Sako TRG-22 action.. also known as Tikka T3.
Which is equal to and better then most other Custom Rem 700 clones, except those with integral recoil lug, rail and bolt handle.
Well, even most of those, when it comes to running it in adverse conditions..

What would you consider a real custom action?

I am interested to hear this answer as well.

Custom seems to be defined as:

Old Design + Greater Then Factory Attention To Detail

Or

Old Design + Original Manufacturer Upgrades

Or

Completely New Design + Greater Than Factory Attention To Detail

Etc.

-Stan

Well definitions...
A custom action, is a action that the customer can choose his details of the action.

You want a round top, and attach the rail with small screws... its a custom action.
But its inferior to one with a machined integral rail..
And if one is going that route... why not just chose a Tikka T3x..

What I would want in a custom long range action is:
Integral Rail, and choose what MOA you want.
Integral bolt handle.
Integral Recoil lug.
Flat bottom
AW cut out mag well
Two Stage trigger

Found a photo of an Surgeon XL... but Kelbly Black Bear and maybe others have these features.

1581ACTION.JPG

Still the most expensive actions made today, a Custom Mauser M98 action, costing $5-7000 each has:
Integral Mounts
Integral Bolt handle
Integral recoil lug

And these where first made in 1890s..

Prechtl-Action%20(2)(1).jpg

Anything else, is a downgrade...

Integral Rail, and choose what MOA you want.
I've only ever seen them allow a couple options, usually 0,20,30 moa. which is fine for standard range stuff but if shooting ELR that isn't gonna cut it. Most guys want a 50-60 base minimum and some/ lots are running more to allow a zero offset that allows them to dial all the way to 2 miles. That being said that is an entirely different niche.

Last edited: