• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Night Vision Help selecting budget optics for hog hunt

SquarePizza

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 9, 2012
NY
So I will admit, this is my first time hunting hogs because they are not in my state. I'm a deer, groundhog and squirrel guy normally. Now I have a hunt coming up in a few weeks and I am playing catch up.

Please school me on night time optics for hunting hogs. I figured I would just be able to use my vortex pst during dusk/dawn, turn on the illumination and be good. Then when it got too dark, just take a pass during the overnight hours. However, it sounds like the area that I am going to be hunting is heavy with deer hunters during the dusk/dawn hours and my family wants to shy away from that crowd, since it will be close to opening weekend for deer.

Therefore I need to play catch up fast with nightvision/thermal scopes and what is the most economical option for someone who is only going to hunt hogs once a year during family visits.

Are there versions that I could mount and use with my current scope or do I need to swap it out for the weekend for a dedicated night/thermal option?

It is going on a howa mini in 6.5 grendel, so recoil and scope punishment shouldn't be an issue.

When I lived in Texas we used green LED lights mounted on feeders for night shooting hogs.
That's another option and widely used but for spot and stalk night vision is definitely the way to go.