• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Night Vision Help selecting proper NV please!

Advokaten

Sergeant
Minuteman
Aug 8, 2007
Malmö, Stockholm, Sweden, Europe
Hi guys,

I have been given the mission to find and select an NV for a swedish person,

the intended use is night hunting boars, ranges out to 150 meters or so.

(In sweden the use of NV is a by permitt use only)

The man issueing my mission have quite high demands on sight picture, clarity and ability to judgde sex on the boars prior to shooting.

The one good source of NV that I have found is I E A,

they have a

some decent NV optics there,

any suggestions perhaps?

How about a IEA Night Tronic 760 I belive it´s the same thing that is called the D760 by you guys?

/Chris

Re: Help selecting proper NV please!

What budget does he have? The tube is most of what makes a scope good. In Sweden, a Photonis XR5 will be the best choice. They are roughly on par with a Gen3 Omni-IV/V. I would suggest this over an export Gen3.

But they are very expensive.

Regards
David.

OK, well it seems you're in the correct range then.

The XR5 is the tube they use inside Night vision devices. Like the engine in the car. They are the same ones that many militaries outside of the US use.

The company ( and the scope ) you mentioned earlier sell XR5 according to their website, though it is in a language I don't understand and I have no idea how to look for prices.

XR5 is just something you ask for when ordering a scope or getting a quote - it's like an option (eg, you can ask for Supergen, XD4 or XR5 )

XR5 is the best, but you pay a hefty premium for it. If you are on a budget, some of the lower-end tubes perform almost as well in practical terms, but at around a third of the cost. You don't get features like autogating, but for shooting purposes, you may not notice the difference.

The other thing - when it gets really dark, you can't see the targets so well, so for hunting animals, getting a good external IR source is worthwhile as well - just for those really dark nights... The eyeshine sometimes helps seeing things a long way off too -

David.

let me know if I E A contact you, I havnt had much luck so far. They have a great range of equipment but it might only be military - law enforcement sales ?