• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Help. Should I buy a Cz 457 or Savage mark 2

jcmullis2

Don’t run you’ll only die tired
Supporter
Minuteman
  • May 12, 2020
    USA
    I love shooting and have many nice centerfire rifles but I don’t have a decent 22Lr. I’m trying to come in at less than $500 so that has me narrowed down to the Savage mark ii TR or a CZ 455 or 457 Varmint. I want something that’s good out of the box but has plenty of aftermarket stuff that I won’t need a Smitty to upgrade my rig later on.
    The Savage mk2 TR sounds good with the adjustable trigger, hbar, and factory wood stock similar to my B&C. Are there good prefit barrels available? Are their triggers able to get down to less than 1pound of pull or will I have to spend a couple of hundred bucks for a upgraded trigger? In the centerfire arena Savage is really low on the old scrotum pole of rifles to buy. So I’m a bit uncertain about the quality of their products.
    I don’t have any prejudices or misconceptions about CZ products. However I don’t know anything about them either. The CZ 457 vpt is nice but twice the money budgeted so the CZ 457 varmint bolt 22lr is the candidate. Is the stock pretty decent or is it a must change? Is the trigger adjustable below a pound? Are the barrels good or will it need changing and is it easy to change?
    Im sure that I’m missing something because I haven’t shot 22lr since I was young and dinosaurs still walked the earth. Help me out guys and try to go slow and use small words. 😂

Reactions: zxGrizz
    I have a Mark II FV. The lowest the trigger goes is 2#. There are no aftermarket trigger upgrades to speak of. There is an Apachee trigger kit available on e Bay. I just bought it but haven't installed it yet.
    My Mark II FV is plenty accurate. It shoots just over .5 moa with Center X and SK Rifle Match so far. I'm sure it would do better since I'm the weak link in the chain.
    One of my athletes has one that shoots .5moa with Aguila Standard Velocity.

Attachments

• IMG_20200808_110907.jpg
      IMG_20200808_110907.jpg
      237.3 KB · Views: 193
    Reactions: jcmullis2
    I guess what ever you want to buy would be nice I personally have the cz 457 varment mtr as it arrived I love the gun the stock and the trigger I can still adjust it if I want to yea its not my tt diamond its not supposed to be , It has been shooting extremely nice for us with no problems it would have been nicer if I had realized I could or could not have gotten a slightly longer barrel but that's all on the dummy that bought it me . It came with a 20.5'' barrel I really wanted a 24'' my friend bought the voodoo and its really nice but his was 1,750 for just a barrel action and bolt and I think a trigger no stock me whole gun was 739 . he likes his gun I like my gun , if you want the savage get the savage what ever brand makes you happier is a good decision . good luck to you with your 22 they are fun if a little more expensive now .

I don’t have a preference. I’ve heard good about both Savage and CZ and I’m definitely not interested in a custom 22LR. I want to keep costs under $500 for the rifle but those CZ 455 & 457s in the Manners stock look real nice. Is the 457 in the manners stock worth the extra $200 over the 455 in a manners stock? Both are considerably more than cz 457 varmint and if the stock is the only difference it doesn’t seem like it’s worth it to me. If I’m missing something or there’s other benefits to the cz457 vpt please let me know.

The CZ 457 Synthetic is availabe for close to your budget and leaves you with plenty of upgrade options down the line such as easy-change barrel, chassis, etc.

If you think you may get into the NRL22 matches though, the Ruger Precision Rimfire is another option within your budget.

You mentioned wanting a rifle that shoots well out of the box, and has plenty of room for upgrades later. The tikka T1X is a great <$500 option. Very accurate out of the box, quite a nice trigger that's adjustable down below 2lbs. Nice action.

I own one and love it, and I have never spoken to anyone who owns one that doesn't. Lots of upgrades available for them too.

That said, CZ is known for making great rimfires and as has been mentioned there are many upgrades available for them as well. I don't think you could go wrong with either

Last edited:
    The Tikka is something I’ve been wanting to try. Are stocks available at a price that’s not as much as the rifle?

The Tikka is something I’ve been wanting to try. Are stocks available at a price that’s not as much as the rifle?

If you mean a chassis for the T1X, there are a few cheaper options.
    KRG Bravo is a very popular one for $350 USD
    ORYX (by MDT) is another one that is made specifically for the T1X , also around $350 USD
    Boyd's also makes a few stocks for around $200

All three are also the entry-level chassis/stocks made for the 457 as well.

If you mean a chassis for the T1X, there are a few cheaper options.
    KRG Bravo is a very popular one for $350 USD
    ORYX (by MDT) is another one that is made specifically for the T1X , also around $350 USD
    Boyd's also makes a few stocks for around $200

All three are also the entry-level chassis/stocks made for the 457 as well.
    The Tikka T1X mtr is really appealing. The stock on the t3 have always been the weak link but that’s true with nearly every rifle being produced. My list seems to be getting longer but that’s okay. Keep the good information coming. I would like to order one in the next day or so. Thanks

I don't own a CZ of any kind but my personal experience with one of the newer MK II FV-SRs makes me say you should get the CZ. It's not a bad gun but it's not a great one either.

Reactions: Appalachian
    I love shooting and have many nice centerfire rifles but I don’t have a decent 22Lr. I’m trying to come in at less than $500 so that has me narrowed down to the Savage mark ii TR or a CZ 455 or 457 Varmint.

Tikka T1x or CZ 457 heavy profile barrel fit this wish list. CZ varmint pro is barrel threaded IIRC whereas the plain varmint is not. If you go with CZ the 457 has many upgrades over the 455 that are well worth it. Savages I have seen have all been accurate ,but also have suffered magazine or extractor problems, every one of them. In this price range, CZ and Tikka have their shit together most of the time, every other brand I cannot recommend in good faith for either reliability or accuracy issues.

There are two very long , active threads on this website dealing with the Tikka t1x and the CZ457 characteristics. Not to much activity for the savage, that should tell you something.

Good luck in your search, there is a lot of great info to look at here.

Tikka T1x or CZ 457 heavy profile barrel fit this wish list. CZ varmint pro is barrel threaded IIRC whereas the plain varmint is not. If you go with CZ the 457 has many upgrades over the 455 that are well worth it. Savages I have seen have all been accurate ,but also have suffered magazine or extractor problems, every one of them. In this price range, CZ and Tikka have their shit together most of the time, every other brand I cannot recommend in good faith for either reliability or accuracy issues.

There are two very long , active threads on this website dealing with the Tikka t1x and the CZ457 characteristics. Not to much activity for the savage, that should tell you something.

Good luck in your search, there is a lot of great info to look at here.
    I was surprised that Savage had as many people as they do who recommend them. It’s Too bad because some of the features are really nice.
    I was wondering if all the Cz 457s had the same action with various upgrades but they must actually use a different action in the cz 457 varmint pro. That’s the type of information that can really make a difference. Especially with high quality aftermarket stuff readily available to make these rifles shoot even better. I like upgrading stuff as the needs arise.
    The Tikka sounds good and I like it has the same footprint as the t3x. They make good rifles but there’s not as much aftermarket stuff as I’d like to have available.
    I’ll take a look at those threads and digest what they say about the Tikka T1x MTR and the CZ 457 Pro Varmint. They’re running neck and neck. The Tikka has a little longer barrel and the Cz pro Varmint doesn’t need a stock right off. Really tough competition. You fellas are great. I appreciate y’all sharing your thoughts and wisdom with me.

Get the CZ. I had a Savage MKii. The operative word there being had. I had constant reliability issues with it and finally got fed up and sold it. A CZ457 or the Tikka T1x will be your best bet. If you don’t want to replace the stock, go for the CZ 457 Pro Varmin. It’s a great rifle right out of the box. I have one and it tends to shoot anything with Lapua/SK on the box great. The Tikka I have shot pretty much everything I put in it well with the factory barrel but the Tupperware stock left a lot to be desired.

Reactions: melglass
    The T1X Is a smoking deal at 500 bucks, shoots lights out with a lot of different ammo with the factory BBL. and has aftermarket BBLS you can change yourself without issue. Mine is in a KRG Bravo chassis with a LW bbl and a strike eagle on top and I absolutely love it.

Of course I also love guns in general so I’m going after an even better one next time around 😂, you can never have enough badass 22’s.

The Tikka T1X mtr is really appealing. The stock on the t3 have always been the weak link but that’s true with nearly every rifle being produced. My list seems to be getting longer but that’s okay. Keep the good information coming. I would like to order one in the next day or so. Thanks

Agreed. The stock is a weakness. But it does shoot accurately in stock. I added a Titan Universal Cheekrest and the Tikka pistol grip and that helped alot.

Agreed. The stock is a weakness. But it does shoot accurately in stock. I added a Titan Universal Cheekrest and the Tikka pistol grip and that helped alot.
    When it comes to center fire I’m a Remington guy and have been for over 40years. However I know tikka makes a damn fine rifle and you can feel the quality in it without having to shoot one. My understanding of the t1x is it’s everything a t3x is but in 22Lr. I’m sure that’s a gross oversimplification but their stocks & triggers can be swapped leaving just the barrel and action. Tikka does a great job in those things so no doubt the t1x is a fine rifle. I don’t care for proprietary parts that are consumable and easily lost or whatever. The Proprietary Tikka mag is a definite minus on the score card.
    The cz457 pro Varmint most certainly has it’s own list of negatives and I’m gonna try to nose them out. With the help of you guys I hope to pull the trigger on one in the next few days.
    A final thought. One thing I like about both of these rifles is their ability to get good accuracy from run of the mill cci ammo. Thanks for everyone’s help and if you can think of anything else please let me know

Reactions: slickalaus12
    CCI SV is what I run 95 percent of the time and the tikka shoots it well. Let us know what you end up pulling the trigger on! Cant go wrong with either option.

Do any of you guys know if the cz457 at one 24inch barrel is a heavy barrel or not? Is barrel length important or am I misinformed? Is the 24” any better than the 16” or did they just make them for people like me. Lol

Take the CZ 457 with the 24 inch barrel. It is and accurate rifle and the barrel length allows for a little more accuracy when you figure out the ammunition for it. The 16 inch is nice and stubby. it is also accurate however I believe the 24 has more going for it.

Dont allow the people with cherry picked photos to persuade you. If they have a full run of targets that show the potential at least 6 groups on the same target.

My ProVarmint seems to do very well the little bit of testing I have done. The trigger slicked up good and the package is very well put together for a gun in the $500 range. I have shot some very nice groups at 50 and 100 but have only done a few 6x5s. Just under 3/8s with SK+ and just over 1/2 with Eley Action. The only 100 yard average I did was a little under 1 1/8 all with the trigger a little over 3lb before I worked on it. Put it together for base class if they ever get matches going around me.

Do any of you guys know if the cz457 at one 24inch barrel is a heavy barrel or not? Is barrel length important or am I misinformed? Is the 24” any better than the 16” or did they just make them for people like me. Lol

You will get a whole lot of opinions on barrel length. 22lr is going to meet its maximum velocity at around 16”. I have chronographed all my barrels between 16” and 20” and the velocity is more dependent on the chamber than the barrel length. In other words a 16” and a 20” barrel with the same chamber shoot the same exact velocity. I have a Cz 457 16” pro Varmint, my friend has a 20” CZ 457 Varmint Precision trainer. With the same ammo the velocity is identical. My Vudoo however has a match chamber and in general shoots the same ammo a little faster. Now in another friends rifle which was a CZ 457 with a 24” barrel the velocity was about 30 FPS slower consistently with the same ammo. Some people think longer barrels will give you a better ES/SD but I don’t buy Into that. Now if you are using open sights having your sights farther apart is an advantage. My CZ has a 16 1/2” barrel, My Tikka has a 16 1/2” barrel, my Vudoo has an 18” barrel and my 10/22 has a 16 1/2” barrel. All 4 rifles shoot amazing. If you do a little digging there is a Video Vudoo did on barrel length. They found the same basic thing about velocity and from what I remember seem to think the sweet spot is right around 18”. Personally I like the 16”-18” rifle for mobility. I feel that 18” is the sweet spot too but most manufacturers seem to jump from 16 1/2” up to 20” so I have just stuck with the 16” barrel on most of my rifles. I shoot positional competitions with my rimfires and having a long barrel can be a real PITA on obstacles.

Last edited:
    Take the CZ 457 with the 24 inch barrel. It is and accurate rifle and the barrel length allows for a little more accuracy when you figure out the ammunition for it.

Barrel length has nothing to do with inherent accuracy. When it comes to barrels It's all in the quality of the chambering, of the rifling, and how the steel was treated for machining stresses.

• Haha
    Reactions: Ncbrshooter
    Barrel length has nothing to do with inherent accuracy. When it comes to barrels It's all in the quality of the chambering, of the rifling, and how the steel was treated for machining stresses.
    We had a short thread about this and few voices like orkan came in and said they have strong experience of better accuracy from longer barrels with 22LR. Also was noted that longer barrels had better appetite for different ammo lots.

He has no written test data or such but I buy it as his word as he has worked with many rimfires.

He also mentioned that while longer barrel might improve accuracy, it has its drawbacks and 16" certainly has its place.

Thread:

Two lengths of the same material, same diameter same everything, the shorter one will be more resistant to whip.

I have a Savage Mark II Minimalist. With the cheap 400 pack of breast cancer awareness (yet lead) ammo, it was sub-MOA to 50 yards. I'm happy with it.

I have a CZ 557 Sporter as my hunting rifle. Nice quality, great shooter. The chamber was excessively tight and CZ took it in AND paid for the shipping label.

When I had to send a rifle to Savage, the shipping was on me despite it being a known issue (light primer strikes, Savage Axis). Luckily Academy handled it all at no cost but boy did they take their time sending it out. Anyway... I like a warranty that also covers shipping. To me that is standing by your product.

Velocity is dependent on chamber? Lmao wow I've heard it all now

All I can tell you is my rifles with a match chamber where the bullet is being pushed into the rifling shoot faster than my rifles that don’t. In general I pick up another 20-30 FPS with the same exact ammo. That has been the case with all my rifles. If the chamber isn’t the reason please enlighten me as to what is.

Reactions: Tokay444
    All I can tell you is my rifles with a match chamber where the bullet is being pushed into the rifling shoot faster than my rifles that don’t. In general I pick up another 20-30 FPS with the same exact ammo. That has been the case with all my rifles. If the chamber isn’t the reason please enlighten me as to what is.
    It increases pressure thus increases velocity.

Exactly! That has been my observation as well. If there is some other reason for the velocity increase I would like to be educated as to what it is. Maybe Ncbrshooter knows something we don’t.

This is getting of topic however. Back to the original question. I’ll repeat my original response. My experience with MKii’s have been universally bad. Granted that is only 3 rifles. One shot amazing but had reliability issues. The other two seemed reliable enough but had accuracy issues. One was a B22. I also see quite a few guys at matches plagued with magazine and extraction issues so it doesn’t seem isolated to the ones I have used. My experience with CZ’s and Tikka’s has been universally good. I have personally owned 4 and have friends with more than I can count. All have been happy with their purchases based one what they have told me.

Reactions: slickalaus12
    I've been around many mark II that wouldn't eject. I'd do the CZ
    Add another extractor spring on top of the old one and the extraction problems should go away on the Savage. Savage will send you a spring for free if you will call and tell them your problem. I have an early MK II FV and it is a very accurate, trouble free, not a problem ever, rifle. My FV-SR, made after the receiver change, isn't so great but the extra spring did cure it's extraction problem. I think a new barrel might make it better but I'm not putting another dime into it. Maybe I can trade it in on a Tikka. I will never buy another MK II.

Reactions: FredBart
    The Savage and Ruger Americans that I had before always gave me extraction issues and some other feed issues. All my CZ rifles have fed and ejected 100%. I had a pile of CCI shorts that I have been burning up in my PV. It has even fed them 100% and as long as you work the bolt fast ejection is perfect. Crazy accuracy at 25 yards too just offhand past that. I can see why 25 yard testing gives no good info on how a gun will do.

Just grabbed a CZ457 MTR, and the fit and finish are light years over my Savage stainless. BTSV or whatever it is.

Reactions: JKW70
    I'm in the process of upgrading from a Savage B22 Precision to CZ 457 Pro Varmint.
    Tikka T1X and CZ 457 were the finalist but I went with the CZ for the following reasons:

1. Better stock (for NRL 22 base competition purpose, better fit, no need for the vertical grip or pads for increasing length of pull)
    2. CZ trigger has more adjustability out of the box
    3. The varmint profile barrels in 16.5" reviews seem to be mostly positive, the Tikka 16" heavy profile is a recent US release and I did not find as many reviews. (shorter barrel for a suppressor host)
    4. The CZ barrel is designed to be easily replaced. T1X barrels can be changed but it is a bit more work to get off and set headspace. Also, the 455/457 barrel industry had a lead start to work through initial issues.

Hopefully, I'll have some time to do a write up on the Savage B22 Precision. Not to spoil the full write up, but IMHO, the B22 Precision has the best stock, theoretically good 18" threaded heavy barrel profile, and very good 1.5 lbs Accu-trigger out of the box for NRL 22 base rifle build but does not have the long range accuracy potential due how the bullets are loaded into the chamber.

left side, 5 rounds cycled through the CZ 457 (minor smudge IF you look really hard), right side, 5 rounds cycled through the Savage B22 Precision (hatchet wounds). Thumbs up if you like the bokeh 😀
    IMG_1177.jpg

YMMV, happy shooting.

Last edited:
    Reactions: markt073
    I handled one of the Savages at the local Sportsman the other day. It was a very nice setup. I dont care for the BMag style mags but can’t say my 17WSM has given me a problem.

I have a Savage MKII TR and two CZ 457. If I could do it all over again I’d have three 457 They are just over all better rifles. Don’t over look the tikka they are fine rifles at their price point

Reactions: melglass
    Multiple people have already said in this thread, but I also have a Savage MK II (albeit one of the lower tier ones, bought it forever ago) and a CZ 457. I'd absolutely recommend the CZ over the Savage. Just add me to the statistic of people saying 457.

Another vote for the CZ (or Tikka) my MkII G had a corrugated Pipe for a barrel and wouldn’t shoot for squat. Savage replaced the barrel with one that was better, but still rough and still wouldn’t shoot to the accuracy guarantee, even pillared and bedded.

I've been happy with my CZ 457 Pro Varmint. Mine likes SK Std. +. Haven't tried the Savage.

My 457 likes Eley Sport at 50 yards.
    Gonna pick up a few different lots and try my hand at the 6x5.
    FDE69043-6906-4DE1-B898-04F310E2C68A.jpeg

Reactions: Rimfireshooter99
    My 457 likes Eley Sport at 50 yards.
    Gonna pick up a few different lots and try my hand at the 6x5.
    View attachment 7418638
    Tokay444,
    Very nice! Is that a 5 shot group? What model 457 + scope are you shooting and are there any modifications to the rifle?
    Thank you.

EDIT:
    Nevermind, found your post :) Good shooting!

Last edited:
    It’s just a fixed 10x SWFA. 457 MTR.
    5 shots.
    Only mod is the Area419 Arcalock rail, and I radius’d the front of the inside of the magazines in front of the follower so they don’t scratch the bottom of the bullet on the way out of the magazine.

Reactions: Mr. Wolf
    It’s just a fixed 10x SWFA. 457 MTR.
    5 shots.
    Only mod is the Area419 Arcalock rail, and I radius’d the front of the inside of the magazines in front of the follower so they don’t scratch the bottom of the bullet on the way out of the magazine.
    Are the circled areas where you radiused? (front edge of the lateral walls of the magazine)
    Thank you.
    698A6909-F479-4C05-ACA4-19875CC6B7CD.jpeg

Got it. Thank You.
    Looks like you have the steel mags. The polymer mags have a step down portion as seen to the left of the red circles in mine.
    In both the 5 and 10 round CZ 457 polymer mags, I had to look really hard to see any type of markings on the bullet.
    It’s more like a smudge on the wax lubricant than anything.
    Cheers,

Yes. Both 5s and one 10. All steel. That front plate doesn’t come as high on the 10 rounder though. You can see half of the next bullet looking front on, so I didn’t bother.