• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Help-Show me you’re RRA, LAR-8

Kinsman09

Private
Minuteman
Sep 6, 2010
Mt
I have one in a mid-length A4 and would like to upgrade it. I’m talking about furniture not working parts. The rifle has worked fine for me but, I would like to change pistol grip, forend, buttstock ext. Are there any aftermarket parts that will work with these rifles? Not just the RRA parts but others like Midwest industries, Magpul, ext. ? What if anything have you done to yours?

Re: Help-Show me you’re RRA, LAR-8

So you just want it to look cool? Honestly, what works for one guy doesn't for the next. I know I had many trials and errors until I found what worked for me, for what I want to do, while still being pleasing to the eye (admit it, there are some accessories out there that look heinous). I am sure many others have been down the same road buying and selling and such. The LAR-8 is not different from any other AR based rifle. Just google image search m4, ar-15, ect... The only thing you might run into is changing the hand guards if you want to use full float rail, but thats an easy fix for any competent smith.

Tks mike, I'm already cool
smile.gif
but I would like to change the way the rifle fits me. Ie. grip, for better trigger manipulation, buttstock for better eye relief, Ext. I am useing the Hide for a source of information and I belive that is what it is for. I would also beg to differ on the LAR-8 as not being different from any AR based rifle, if you check thier web site you can read on their compatibility problems. I'm trying to find out what worked for other people and what did not so I don't make the mistakes other people have made and I can save miself some time, money and grief.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Kinsman09</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> I am useing the Hide for a source of information and I belive that is what it is for.</div></div>

No kidding? You asked for folks two cents and I gave you mine. One thing I have found out that works extremely well is to email CS. Most CS reps can answer any question related to the product you are inquiring about. As in your case fit/compatibility of certain components. Check out Magpul's PRS stock, and MiAd grip. Both are adjustable to fit your needs adequately. As for hand guards, it depends on whether you need/want full floating, rails, blah, blah... you get the point.

Link to LAR-8 components for sale

I did a lot of this research. For whatever reason RRA decided to make the gun a bit different, and then to make a bunch of gay looking proprietary components for the guns (like cheap ugly rail systems, commercial stock tubes, a different reciever extension length etc.

I was waiting for 4 months for a Lar-8 and I had a plan to put a 12" DD lite rail (the best quality [and best looking] rail compatible with the LAR-8), Miad grip, and a mil-spec tube and stock on it. I learned the RRA tube doesn't collapse very far at all, because the B/BC group is longer than most, so I had Slash make a special shorter buffer that makes AR10 std tubes compatible, and is heavier (because people were experiencing excessive bolt speed and over-gassing- guns flinging cases like an AK). So I grabbed an AR10 mil-spec tube, an AR10 buffer spring, etc.

I finally found am MWS before RRA delivered the gun, and now all the parts are for sale, but they represent a good deal, and a way to make a LAR-8 into a fully cool rifle, compatible with quality industry parts, rather than cheap stuff that looks kind of dumb and in the case of the stock, doesn't work very well (not collapsing).

You need a special adapter for the RRA LAR 8 to install a DD rail on it. Search the site as there's a good amount of knowledge already on here.

Here's mine:

DSC_0222.JPG

You need only to buy the LAR-8 rail from Daniel defense-

I had a LAR-8 coming, so I bought the LAR-8 rail. They are compatible.

According to Daniel Defense and Rock River, it's the barrel nut thread that is slightly different spec than Ar-10's. It seems RRA wanted to make that different so that people would have to buy their rail systems. The only problem was that they then didn't make any truely market competitive rail systems, leaving the customer in kind of a lurch.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KChen986</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You need a special adapter for the RRA LAR 8 to install a DD rail on it. Search the site as there's a good amount of knowledge already on here.</div></div>

I thought you couldn't use a PRS on them due to charging handle hitting??
How did you do that? Is it a spacer? Who and part #?

yes i'm lazy to search...

thanks and MERRY CHRISTMAS TO ALL

i love this site!!!

thanks guys and it looks like I will be able to get that PRS as I always wanted

Gilbert

Who is the go authority on these systems? Rebarrels upper builders ect?

Trophyhuter,
Me to (lazy):) Thought I was going to get mugged when I first started this thread. Reading alot but hard to sort out what information is needed and what is not.

Todd, that would be some good information!

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/iLX6wEgSk_g" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I have not done any customizing on the gun. I am fortunate, the stock fits me like a glove and the accuracy does not necessitate a free float barrel. I have changed the scope and camo the gun. I love the gun. Accurate and fun to shoot.

Well,To many accessories out there and a wealth of information but, don’t have the time to put it all together. Just going to have to let this one go and start all over again. Thanks to all the poster’s for the help.

Is anyone able to tell me what length DD Lite Rail goes on a 20" barreled standard operator? I realize I'm reviving an old thread but any help would be appreciated. Thanks,

Adam

Is anyone able to tell me what length DD Lite Rail goes on a 20" barreled standard operator? I realize I'm reviving an old thread but any help would be appreciated. Thanks,

Adam

Adam