• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Help: Someone with electrical knowledge

alamo5000

Major Hide Member
Minuteman
Jun 18, 2020
Not sure if this belongs in the reloading section or the bear pit.

I 'built' an induction annealer based on the video from North East Texas Tactical on YouTube.

The annealer is absolutely fantastic and works better than I ever thought it would.

That being said I bought some materials to custom make my own coils. I got the heat sleeve (good to 600 degrees C) and some 10 gauge solid copper wire. Since the coils themselves get fairly toasty I definitely want the heat sleeve on there, but what I don't know is what they use to secure it to the wire to keep it from fraying or whatever.

I would use regular old heat shrink tube but I think it will melt. I think they do offer some higher temp rated stuff but I have no idea what I am looking at or where to find/buy it.

If anyone knows please let me know. See the photos below for a reference.

Attachments

• 81i7H5J8lDL._AC_SL1500_.jpg
    81i7H5J8lDL._AC_SL1500_.jpg
    220.6 KB · Views: 38
  • custom-pancake-coil-scaled.jpg
    custom-pancake-coil-scaled.jpg
    525.9 KB · Views: 38
  • IH-coil-75.jpg
    IH-coil-75.jpg
    34.1 KB · Views: 41
Reactions: Jumper
Use a temp laser to see how hot that part actually gets? May not be that hot. You could use hitemp epoxy.

I ended up calling one of the online electrical supply companies online and I think I found something that will work.

I got some 3/8" PTFE shrink tube that shrinks 4:1. It says you have to shrink it with a blow torch but once installed it is good up to 500 degrees F.

Hopefully it works out.

Reactions: E. Bryant
In your third picture, thats called "Pants".
Honestly they call it pants,some of the supply houses like DigiKey would probably have them.
I bought some from Crutchfield years ago but doubt they'd take a lot of heat.

I found this video too. Then I found another thread here that builds what looks like a nicer system for ½ the price. Although I have not read the thread yet. I had it bookmarked for later but seemed to have lost it/closed it. If I find it, I'll link it here.

Edit: