• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

HElp specing out a McMillan HTG stock

RossinFL

Private
Minuteman
Dec 28, 2004
FL
I'm going to order up a McMillan HTG stock. I will not be hunting with this rifle. I am leaning towards putting an SPS tactical in it. I know I want forest camo and inlet for a RH SA R700 with Williams bottom metal. I don't know what to do about the other options. What do you all recommend as far as the fill material? How about the size of the barrel channel? I'll be using a factory Remingtion HB right off but would like to be able to put a little thicker contour BBL in it after the fact. Of course I don't want to open up the barrel channel to the point that it looks goofy with the Remingtion HB. Lastly, how about the pillar installation? Is this something I should order up? Thanks a lot!

Re: HElp specing out a McMillan HTG stock

Sporter fill will be more than sufficient for a general use .30 caliber rifle. I would go with the Remington Varmint barrel channel since it can be opened up by a gunsmith in the future when you have it rebarreled and rebedded. McMillan can install the pillars or they can be installed by a gunsmith during the bedding process so that option is totally up to you. Hope this helps.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Trigger Monkey</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Sporter fill will be more than sufficient for a general use .30 caliber rifle. I would go with the Remington Varmint barrel channel since it can be opened up by a gunsmith in the future when you have it rebarreled and rebedded. McMillan can install the pillars or they can be installed by a gunsmith during the bedding process so that option is totally up to you. Hope this helps. </div></div>

Thanks for the info. If a smith opens up the barrel channel later on will the stock look like the barrel channel has been opened up?

Great, thanks for your help.

i'd also order it with pillars installed. flush cups on bottom and left side are kind of nice, and bipod stud is good. if you know which barrel you will use later, you could order it with that (larger) profile barrel channel and live with the gap on the Remington barrel until the change. i did this on an A1-3. i ordered it for a Lilja #7 (have one on the shelf) but am running a Rem. Varmint contour in it right now. you could also pick a recoil lug now and have the inlet cut for it.

Is a flush cup just a recessed area that your sling attachment point fits in? Also, I have no idea what contour barrel I'll ultimately put on this rifle. I'd won't be running around with the gun. I do want a heavier barrel but not something so heavy that the rifle is clunky and the barrel overpowers the stock. What taper did the military use on the M40a1's? That might be a good place to start. I do like the idea of living with a slightly larger barrel channel now so I have a drop in fit later.

Yes on the flush cups. Opening up the channel is seriously easy. Don't get wrapped around the axle on it, just order it for your barreled action. Even when you upgrade to a custom barrel the Remington taper wouldn't be a bad choice, it's plenty of barrel. The M40 contour is very close to an MTU contour which is 1.2" for 2.75" then straight tapers to .930 at 26".

Edited to add: the M40 taper is 1.2" for 3" then tapers to .9" at 26". A little lighter than the MTU but you would not be able to tell the difference in the two contours without a caliper in hand.

Thanks again for the info. What is the MTU contour?

you need to figure out what your length of pull is, since its going to be custom made.

Is there a way to figure that out without actually trying different MCM stocks. I'd love to do that but don't have any availible to me.

Get the distance from your elbow to your kunckles, that will be your length of pull. McMillan uses a 13.5" as a standard length of pull and it works fairly well for most shooters of average height and build.

The MTU/AMU barrel contour is 1.25" for 5" tapering down to .900" at 29" per the Rock Creek Barrels website.

For now I'd simply get the stock inletted for a Remington Varmint contour barrel since it can always be opened up if and when you get it rebarreled. The rest is up to you though when it comes to sling swivels and such. Also keep in mind that when you place the order you will also have some time to change it before it becomes too late and the people at McMillan are very good about answering your questions.