• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing HELP!! Stuck Bolt!!

flagg888

Private
Minuteman
Apr 26, 2008
East Northport, NY
First off, Happy Fathers Day!

OK, here's the situation, I was playing around with a new stock and had the barreled action in and out of it a few times.
Was checking for bolt movement, safety movement, fit, you know, playing around.
So, I was cycling the bolt and firing and playing with the safety an I think I had the action out and dry fired. This one last time now the bolt will not turn up at all. It's stuck down and the "button" on the back is forward as it should be after the pin goes forward to fire.
The safety won't move, nor will the bolt, in or out of the stock. I don't want to break anything and I don't know whats going on, or what to do.
Any ideas would be appreciated.
The rifle is a '98 Rem LTR.
The trigger is the Jewel trigger with the safety.
I am stumped and worried that I broke something.
Thanks in advance.

Scott

Re: HELP!! Stuck Bolt!!

Sounds like your trigger could possibly be out of adjustment. Have you tried pulling the trigger while opening the bolt at the same time?

Yep, tried that.
And because the safety is in the Fire position, I can't even drive the pins out to remove the trigger.

My next guess would be to adjust the trigger so it's got maximum travel and see if that helps. Mine did a similar thing and it was because I had the trigger adjusted too sensitive

Wow.
I am blown away.
Thanks to two Hide members, in a matter of hours, I am back in business.

Huge thanks to members Mike_I in Payson, AZ and Wnroscoe in Louisiana, I am unstuck and back in business.

These two guys helped me solve my problem over the phone, I don't think that I thanked Mike enough, but as I mentioned to William, he kinda restored my faith in humanity.

Its times like this, where two people that I have never met before in my life have come to my assistance and made a huge difference in my life and helped their fellow man.

Anyway, the problem was junk in the threads between the bolt body and and the bolt shroud. Once William got me to force the cocking piece backward and try to move the bolt handle upward, the bolt released and I took the bolt apart and there was junk in the threads in between the shroud and the bolt body.

Thanks to Mike_I in payson, AZ who helped me get the Jewel trigger apart so I could get the trigger assembly off the action.

Thanks again guys, you are the best.

Scott.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Flagg888</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> The problem was junk in the threads between the bolt body and and the bolt shroud. </div></div>

I felt like you'd find something along those lines. Glad you got it worked out.