• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Help the noob (1st rifle)

Tbraginton

Private
Minuteman
Sep 9, 2018
NorNev
Hello; My name is Tim and I'm clueless.

Quick background: I'm in the LE business and I've got some very basic level of long range shooting training / experience. I am looking forward to continuing to hone my skills. I'm very comfortable behind a gun but the bolt gun world is an entirely new frontier. I don't know up from down but I'm willing to learn and looking forward to a knowledge dump.

I'm looking for an affordable way to break into the long range game but I'm a firm believer in the buy once cry once mantra... I know there about as many options as there are stars in the sky so I'll try to narrow things down a bit:
-Going to stay .308 as that's what I use professionally
-Rifle will be used primarily for training but may find its way into the field for a hunt or two
-I highly doubt I will be trying to stretch its legs past 1,000
-My priority is a quality product I'm going to be happy with while still accepting that it may not be my forever rifle
-I don't need a full blown custom rifle
-I would like to keep the budget for the rifle (sans optic) under $2,000 but less is more if I still get quality

I have done some digging here and other places and I've got a few starting points in mind. I am open to any and all suggestions and don't worry my feelings died long ago so throw the hate where needed.

Super budget option: (Under $800)
-Howa barreled action (Brownells)
https://www.brownells.com/rifle-par...ed-semi-heavy-barreled-action-prod113621.aspx
-KRG bravo
*Not going to lie this is pulling awful hard at me right now given the price point and what it would leave me to get good glass and the Ammo to actually shoot the damn thing...

Factory building block:
-Tikka T3X of some variety with plans to throw it into a chassis or stock later

Factory solution?
-Bergara B14 HMR
*Dont know enough to know if their premiere series is worth the extra dough or if I'll be happy with the regular B14. The HMR seems like a good crossover option but school me if I'm wrong.

-Rem 700 in a Magpul stock
Ran one for a week during a recent training and have no complaints. I understand their QC leaves something to be desired and I prefer not to gamble with my money...

-Accurized M14.... just kidding don't hang me

Pva John Hancock rifle is 2k. Good place to start at that price range.

Reactions: Tbraginton
What's makes the John Hancock worth blowing my entire budget? I've now had two separate people recommend the JH so I'd say it's more than a coincidence.
It's an extremely high quality low-volume production rifle made with premium components by a highly respected rifle builder (Patriot Valley Arms).

While it would be awesome to buy one, I think many who recommend it ignore the financial realities of the person asking.

A perfect rifle is useless if you don't have money left over for a sight, bipod, and ammo.

I personally would buy a high quality, but more affordable production rifle that left money for the other things that you'll need.

it's very minor "gunsmithing" that's the whole point of the prefits.
you just need an action wrench and some go/no go gauges and a vise and you can do it in your bedroom.

i'm literally running the exact set up b6graham mentioned. PVA prefit barrel, KRG bravo, origin action

Budget, but lots of (some very new) features. Savage 110 Tactical. $784 list, but you can very likely get a 30% discount off list. Note, there are two versions of the .308 listed. The first is 20", the second is 24".

Greg

Last edited:
Ruger Precision Rifle is a solid option. They get a lot of hate around here, but they are shooters and you can get them for around $1k. Lots of aftermarket parts and accessories, and prefit barrels for when you shoot yours out. Mine has shot everything I throw at it under MOA, tuned hand loads are half.

Reactions: 308pirate
It doesn't get easier than a Ruger RPR for a turnkey job. Add scope and bipod, go shoot.

Savage rifles are shooters but have a significant lack of refinement. No go for me when there are other, much more refined options, for a hundo or so more.

I would go with the Howa.

Very good action. Sako extractor. Flat bottomed. Plenty strong. Decent trigger. Good barrels.

KRG Bravo chassis has ergonomics of a good prone stock. Get the ARCA Swiss rail and it can do everything. PIG Saddle Tripod setup with direct connect and you can easily kill about everything you see.

-Rifle will be used primarily for training but may find its way into the field for a hunt or two
-My priority is a quality product I'm going to be happy with while still accepting that it may not be my forever rifle

If you would like a good medium cost package that fits your budget well, I would look at the Tikka T3x CTR for a more traditional look.
That should put you in around the $1k range with a magazine fed system and a reliable rifle that shoots well & you can later upgrade to a different stock and barrel if you wish.

The other advantage of the T3x CTR is that it will also work as a standard hunting rifle or car/truck gun and all around long term multi role gun.
It is light and flexible. You can upgrade all kinds of things on it later on, or shoot it, love it & then later on get a dedicated target gun.

There is also the Tikka T3x TAC A1 for the big chassis look and a better trigger.
The Ruger Precision rifle is also a good bet, and will be around the $1k mark
Both of the above are big chassis rifles, so not the best for hunting, but you can hunt with them fine.

Everybody has the John Hancock on their list as it was specifically designed to be a top notch, no frills target rifle squeezing everything they could into the $2k mark... But it would be a waiting game.

Another option you might want to consider is hang out here on the boards and pick up a used Accuracy International AE rifle which go for around $2k and up depending on the setup (or post a WTB request), in .308, I'd expect lots of options in the low to mid $2k range
That is an excellent, well performing tough as nails platform.

JH rifle is a great option. Putting your order in now you’d only have a year + wait to get your hands on.

Howa Bravo is a great option and you’d have money left for other essentials. Same goes for Ruger Precision Rifle. If that’s not a big deal the Seekins Havak rifle is a another great in that price range.

Tikka CTR is always a greater starter rifle for long range. I have one in 6.5 creedmoor and can't say enough about how much I love it. They make it in 308 and I'm sure you can find a used one on the cheap since 6.5 is the new golden boy.

I'd toss out the Remington for starters. The Howa is a fine option if you want a chassis on a budget. Tikka build of similar style would be about $400 more, so I'd consider that as well.

PVA JH is a good option if you really want premium accuracy for top price, but the CTR or Tikka/KRG would get you most of the accuracy for a much lower price. Shooting long range, the difference between 1/2 MOA and 1/4 MOA is not as significant compared to your ability to call wind.

You mentioned you use 308 professionally, is this a bolt gun aswell? If so you could build a clone for training on your own time?

Theres too much for rifles for me to recommend one, but a few things are worth investing in; 1) a good trigger, or a factory trigger smithed by a professional. 2) NEAR MFG makes a lugged scope base for several rifle actions. 3) investing in a spur qdp mount so you can move your scope from rifle to rifle latter on if you ever want to.

What's makes the John Hancock worth blowing my entire budget? I've now had two separate people recommend the JH so I'd say it's more than a coincidence.
That rifle doesn’t even exist yet. Unless you want to wait six months or more. The Bergara premier is darn near as good as any custom. They will even re-barrel it for around $500, not that you were going to wear out a .308 anytime soon. With the right ammo, the .308 will do 1000 yards all day long. @ $1500, it is going to be tough to beat. even the $1000 Bergara HMR standard is an excellent choice. They both are on the Remington 700 footprint so after market is huge for these rifles. I have a buddy that has the premiere, that action feels as nice as many customs at half the price or less. At this time I would bypass anything factory from Remington. Unless you were going to throw money at it right away, I would just save time, money, and the headache And do the Bergara premier.

I understand you’re want to stay with .308. But if you ever want to do more than just practice, I would start with the 6.5 Creedmoor. But there is really nothing wrong with the .308. Especially if that’s what you were going to use while you are at work.

I've felt the Bergara premier actions and they're pretty darn nice, they feel slick as snot like a number of custom actions. That said, I'd say either go with a sub-$1000 factory option (Tikka T3x CTR, Bergara B14 HMR, or Ruger Precision Rifle) or build something up yourself with a KRG Bravo and a pre-fit barrel.

Building it yourself you'll get a better barrel (even the budget Shilen or Criterion barrels are generally much better than almost all factory barrels) and a better trigger, the two things that are (IMO) the most important parts of the gun so long as you get some sort of decent action. I built my rifle (Nucleus, Criterion barrel, XLR chassis, Thunder Beast brake, and a TriggerTech Diamond) and it took me all of about 20 minutes to put it all together nicely and it shoots great right now. I'd personally go with something like that over a Bergara Premier unless you'd really rather avoid the build process.

The JHR is a fantastic option and one I considered, but I'm glad I did my own simply because it'll be a while before they start shipping any out.

Reactions: CxAgent
I think the tikka or Bergara is the way to go, I know Tikka has the accuracy guarantee and every one I’ve ever owned have been sub MOA out of the box with factory ammo. I’ve heard nothing but good things about the Bergara and the fact that it’s a rem 700 clone is great. Lol they are basically making Remington’s what they should be.

Reactions: 260284
I've felt the Bergara premier actions and they're pretty darn nice, they feel slick as snot like a number of custom actions. That said, I'd say either go with a sub-$1000 factory option (Tikka T3x CTR, Bergara B14 HMR, or Ruger Precision Rifle) or build something up yourself with a KRG Bravo and a pre-fit barrel.

Building it yourself you'll get a better barrel (even the budget Shilen or Criterion barrels are generally much better than almost all factory barrels) and a better trigger, the two things that are (IMO) the most important parts of the gun so long as you get some sort of decent action. I built my rifle (Nucleus, Criterion barrel, XLR chassis, Thunder Beast brake, and a TriggerTech Diamond) and it took me all of about 20 minutes to put it all together nicely and it shoots great right now. I'd personally go with something like that over a Bergara Premier unless you'd really rather avoid the build process.

The JHR is a fantastic option and one I considered, but I'm glad I did my own simply because it'll be a while before they start shipping any out.

I agree the custom build with a Criterion or Shilen barrel will get you a better barrel. I'm on my second Bergara, first one didn't shoot under two inches at 100 yards and the second one although better is no great shooter. My Tikka's and Savages easily outshoot the Bergara I have . I'm going to give the Bergara another chance and then it's on to another brand for me.

I agree the custom build with a Criterion or Shilen barrel will get you a better barrel. I'm on my second Bergara, first one didn't shoot under two inches at 100 yards and the second one although better is no great shooter. My Tikka's and Savages easily outshoot the Bergara I have . I'm going to give the Bergara another chance and then it's on to another brand for me.
It makes sense though. It's the difference between a factory barrel (where some are great, some are meh, and a few are crap) and one of a few reputable barrel makers with a reputation of precision and consistency to uphold.

I’d go with the bergara hmr in that price range. It has a decent fully adjustable stock and it essentially a remmy 700 clone so all the 700 triggers and what not will interchange. Or in that price range I may look at the rem 700 5R 308 threaded barrel model. The gen 5R rifles look sharp imo.

Little side note here for your consideration, since no one mentioned it, and it's advice that has been passed to me some time ago, and that always helped eradicate doubt after doing all the necessary pre-purchase research;

You are the one that's going to shoot the gun and possibly keep it and care for it for a long time, so do your research(which you already have, with a few results narrowed down), handle all the guns and choose the one that 'feels' right(go to gun stores, gun range, friends), check again with your budget and buy comfortably and within budget(like someone mentioned earlier - no point in buying the expensive option if it's going to be optic-less and collect dust in the safe), and always remember that you can sell them if you don't like them.

Very few times will you get it a 100% right the first time, which is why weapons customization is such a big deal in this community, but that doesn't mean you can't get close to perfect/ideal the first time buying. Check out the guns you have listed, handle/choose the one that makes you have dreams about it, and buy and shoot it.

- I know this isn't exact advice about the actual equipment, but nonetheless, it's useful overall advice since you already have plenty of opinions on A vs. B, and 1 vs. 2, etc.

J

Little side note here for your consideration, since no one mentioned it, and it's advice that has been passed to me some time ago, and that always helped eradicate doubt after doing all the necessary pre-purchase research;

You are the one that's going to shoot the gun and possibly keep it and care for it for a long time, so do your research(which you already have, with a few results narrowed down), handle all the guns and choose the one that 'feels' right(go to gun stores, gun range, friends), check again with your budget and buy comfortably and within budget(like someone mentioned earlier - no point in buying the expensive option if it's going to be optic-less and collect dust in the safe), and always remember that you can sell them if you don't like them.

Very few times will you get it a 100% right the first time, which is why weapons customization is such a big deal in this community, but that doesn't mean you can't get close to perfect/ideal the first time buying. Check out the guns you have listed, handle/choose the one that makes you have dreams about it, and buy and shoot it.

- I know this isn't exact advice about the actual equipment, but nonetheless, it's useful overall advice since you already have plenty of opinions on A vs. B, and 1 vs. 2, etc.

J
This. And because you will likely not buy the right gun the first time, get something that holds value well. Or buy something more economical that you won't lose as much on when you trade.

Great info. I am in the same boat. However I am buying a 6.5 Creedmoor.
What I research is that at 2000 you can get the MPA BA PCR. I comes in .308 also.
I have held there regular BA rifle that cost $3000 and like it.
Not sure what people thinks about that. Since I have no experience yet.

I have owned a RPR with a custom barrel, and own a Tikka CTR. I recently got a Bergara HMR pro.

For me personally, I like the Tikka far more than I did the RPR, and the HMR pro far better than either.

The Tikka does and RPR did print some nice groups with their preferred loads, but the HMR pro just plain shoots anything you stuff into it. It is honest, on demand, 1/2 MOA with Hornady American Gunner, and handloads are scary accurate. I love the ergonomics of the stock (which is actually what drew me to Bergara to start with), and the action is as smooth as any custom I’ve handled. The Triggertech is outstanding.

Since you said this may not be your “forever rifle,” I’d steer clear of the RPR or any Remington, Savage, etc., because of poor resale/trade value. Unless, of course, you snatch up one of the used bargains someone else is passing along.

Which brings up another possible avenue...buy used. If you don’t like it, sell it for what you have in it or close, and try something else.

You won’t find many/any bargains on used Tikka CTR’s, which actually says a lot about them.