• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Help: Tikka T3x A1 6.5 scope and rings options

TikkaKing

Private
Minuteman
Mar 13, 2023
Fort Worth, Texas
Hi all,

I am new to this forum and new to long range shooting. I recently purchased a Tikka Tac A1 in 6.5 and am looking at getting either a Vortex Razor HD Gen 2 4.5-27x56mm OR saving some $$ and getting a Viper PST Gen 2 5x-25x. If I went with the Viper I would get me a new hunting rifle with the savings :) My question is what scope rings would yall recommend for either scope ?

I also want to ask what yall recommended as far MOA or MRAD but I can see from other threads my head hurts already.

Scope rings recommended.
1. Vortex Razor HD Gen2 4.5-27x56mm

2. Viper PST Gen2 5x-25x50

Last edited:
Tikka makes a very good production rifle. IMO, it deserves a good optic.

What distance will you typically be shooting?

Your questions are sort of random, do let me try.

1) MOA or MIL. If you don't know, then go with MIL. More long distance shooters are using MIL and FFP, so this gives you a chance to learn. I started shooting MOA and 2nd Focal Plane. I am one of those odd balls that is ambidextrous in shooting. I can move between MOA and MIL and FFP and SFP. 10 years ago, most shooters were MOA. MOA is perhaps easier to learn if you are bench shooting, as is SFP. But, the discipline and benefits of MIL in achieving distance solutions without a rangefinder and FFP far outweigh the simplicity of MOA. Today, most MOA shooters are hunters, solely range shooters, or Boomers like me who don't want to change. If you have been shooting for 20 years in MOA, then don't change unless you see the need to change. THERE IS NO RIGHT OR WRONG, but the majority of long range shooters are MIL/FFP, so if you are not already a heavy MOA shooter, go that way.

2) Razor v. PST. When you get to scopes, it is hard for anyone in this forum, myself included, to not have a bias. The Razor is a great optic, but there are models that I seem to like a lot, and models I do not. The Razor LPVO versions in 1-6x and 1-10x are outstanding. The longer range 6-36x seems from all accounts to be a winner. The models in the middle do not seem to have the consistent quality. Now, this is a personal observation, and I will get kicked in the ass by 10 members who swear by the 4.5-27x. On the other hand, the PST Gen II (notice I said Gen II), have a great track record, and are priced right. They are not the same optical quality as the Razor, but are good scopes, and priced less.

3) I would not pick a scope with price as my first parameter. Obviously, it counts. There are great S&B and ZCO scopes that will amaze you, at 2x to 3x the price. The Tikka is a B+/A- rifle. It is one of the best production rifles, IMO, available. BUT, it is a production rifle. It is not a custom-made rifle. What does this mean? It means that it will be a fantastic rifle, but not a great rifle. It is an Audi, but not a Porsche. :cool: . People will offer their experience with the Tikka, and I have shot it and we sell it. I am not the best marksman, but I am getting 3/4 to 1/2 MOA on Tikka Tactical .308 and 6.5 CM, while I am consistently getting under 1/2 MOA on several similar Cadex rifles. But, my Savage rifle is getting 1 MOA to 3/4 MOA, so you want to match the scope to the rifle, like a transmission to an engine. If Price were the most important component, I think the Arken would be my first choice. But, I would encourage you to look at the Leupold Mark 5 as well as the Nightforce NX8, as well as the two Vortex models you mentioned. I would not get the PST Gen 1, so take a hard look at the model. I would put the Gen 1 on a lesser rifle. I would put a ZCO or ATACR on a custom rifle.

4) Distance. I asked, as this will influence your selection. 6.5 CM can reach-out beyond 1,000 yards. If that is your goal, then you will want 20x to 27x for sure. If you are shooting 600 to 800 yards, you might select 18x to 20x. The more magnification, the more your scope will be stressed and give you some distortion, unless you are buying a very high-end scope. For example, we are finding some uber-bargains on scopes at the 6x level that are astounding. But the level of quality needed for a 6x scope is much different than at 35x, for example. Going up in magnification is not always a good thing, and you will pay more, even on an average scope.

5) Reticle. You did not mention it, but take a hard look at the reticles. You will be spending a lot of time staring into them. They are many times overlooked, but become important. Nightforce, Schmidt and Bender and Vortex reticles are all very different. And illumination is either important or it is not, and do you want illumination on the entire reticle, or only in the middle.

Hope that helps, don't rush. Picking a scope is fun. This post is not commercial, but if we can help with your decision, happy to chat. On the commercial end, we are dealers for all the brands mentioned, plus more.

wow this is very helpful...I didn't event think about the reticle. I did see someone on another thread mention the EBR-7c was a good choice.

Distance would vary but probably 600-800 yards

illumination is another I didn't think of....are there any issues with either one?

sounds like Viper PST Gen2 5x-25x50 is enough scope for me.....if so any reccs on the scope rings ?

I see the seekins brand thrown out a bunch...if so what size ?

I've got a PST gen 2 5-25 on my precision AR solid optic for the money. Zero system is a PITA but everything else is solid for the price point

As far as rings go any quality ring option will suffice vortex PMR MDT badger etc etc etc etc.

One thing to watch for is height, with the flat top rail on the Tac A1 you'll need tall rings. 1.5 should be sufficient maybe 1.4with a 50mm obj. I ended up having to go a little taller on mine with 56mm obj and 20 moa rail and even then I've got like 1mm clearance with the flip caps on
Optic on this one is Athlon Ares ETR 4.5-30 that i found a good deal on decent glass starts to wash out around the edges above 27x
20220227_090725.jpg

I would recommend a good one piece mount, as once you buy it you'll probably never get rid of it.
I've used ADM Recons, Badger, ARC Mbrace, and have several Spuhr mounts. All held scopes plenty well.

You can also buy a 1 piece mount with elevation built in, since the stock Tac A1 rail has 0 moa in its rail you might want to go that direction. You'll probably also want 1.5" height to avoid bottoming the scope out on the rail.

The seekins rings are also good if you dont need moa in your mount and if you don't know the Vortex pro rings are just rebranded seekins rings.

I would sell the Tikka personally. I ran one for a season and it'd hands down the worst designed chassis out there. Nothing but shitty fastners everywhere that strip out. Trying to change barrels when the shitty screw strips that is a few mm from the barrel means there is no way to drill it out. Also, beretta has the worst cs in the industry so good luck with that. Whoever designed this chassis is a fucking moron of the highest order.

For what these cost now you can get a pmr or similar factory gun that takes all 700 parts and is upgradeable.

I've got a PST gen 2 5-25 on my precision AR solid optic for the money. Zero system is a PITA but everything else is solid for the price point

As far as rings go any quality ring option will suffice vortex PMR MDT badger etc etc etc etc.

One thing to watch for is height, with the flat top rail on the Tac A1 you'll need tall rings. 1.5 should be sufficient maybe 1.4with a 50mm obj. I ended up having to go a little taller on mine with 56mm obj and 20 moa rail and even then I've got like 1mm clearance with the flip caps on
Optic on this one is Athlon Ares ETR 4.5-30 that i found a good deal on decent glass starts to wash out around the edges above 27x
View attachment 8096376
Is that a Rifles Only rear bag?