• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Help! Timney trigger problem or stock problem

medium rare

Sergeant
Minuteman
Aug 15, 2011
San Antonio
I just bought a purple stock for my girlfriend. It is the stocky stock laminate. I had to inlet a bit to get the Timney trigger to fit. The barrel is not fully floated yet either but I promised she could use it this weekend on hogs. The problem I am having since I put the barreled action in the new stock is that the gun will not stay cocked if the bolt is operated with the rifle upside down. I pulled the barreled action out of the stock and it is still not staying cocked when operated upside down. Works fine when it is right side up. Anyone have any ideas?

Last edited:
Little confused here - with the barreled action out of the stock...it still won't stay cocked?

The right-side up and up-side down part makes me think there may be something that worked it's way into the trigger group.
You may have to see what a little compressed air will blow out. You may have to remove the trigger group from the action in order to get a better look at what's going on.

Did it work fine before you attempted to fit it into the stock? Did you force the barreled action to fit? Maybe something around the trigger shoe was bent? Can you notice any metal that is not straight or looks deformed?

I had a problem like this before with my Timney when I was fitting it with my Badger M5 triggerguard....I had to inlet where the trigger shoe is so the M5 wouldn't rub and let the trigger reset.

It cocks when the bolt is lifted but no matter how easy I lock the bolt down with the gun upside down it decocks. Like holding the trigger down while lowering the bolt but nothing is touching the trigger.

It cocks when the bolt is lifted but no matter how easy I lock the bolt down with the gun upside down it decocks. Like holding the trigger down while lowering the bolt but nothing is touching the trigger.

And you're experiencing this with the barreled action out of the stock?

I shot the gun today at the range with the b&c stock. It shot fine but I didn't try it upside down. I was careful when putting it in the new stock and can't see anything bent.

If it's only when it's upside down I would almost have to think there's something that fell into the trigger group that moves to the right spot whenever you roll the rifle over.

Kinda like fiberglass from where you inletted the stock or first put the barreled action in.

I once had the same sort of problem with a piece of corn-cob media from my case tumbler that got in a mag release button...

I would start there. All else fails, make a call into Timney customer support... Unfortunatly, they may ask you to send the trigger in.

I looked for something to spray it out with and all I had was rem oil. I tried that and it didn't help however I found if I hold the trigger forward it cocks fine. Is there supposed to be a spring that holds the trigger forward after it is fired?

That sounds like something was bent. There are probably internal springs that help to reset the trigger but it would take a lot of force to really bend those out of tolerance.

You probably never noticed it before....but, did the trigger ever work correctly? Did you ever try to cock it upside down in the previous stock?

Just for fun....what happens if you have the gun right-side up and cock it....then turn it upside down. Does it A.D.?

I doubt it. It is not one of my normal shooting positions. However I would assume after 2 years of competitions and hundreds of guided hunts with the gun I would have found a malfunction by now.

I say there is something inside the trigger group. Dirt, fiberglass, tiny pebble, broken piece of metal.

I'd take it off the action and try shaking it to see if you could obviously hear something (the bolt release does rattle a bit).
I would be hesitant to take the trigger group apart....i'd rather Timney do it under warranty and charge me for shipping as opposed to charging me for a new trigger. That's up to you...

That's all I got - sorry.

I feel retarded. Call off the reinforcements. The pull weight adjustment screw came loose at some point and was backed all the way out. There was no spring holding the trigger forward because the pull weight spring was not engaged. I was wondering why the trigger felt lighter. Thanks to everyone for your suggestions! One day when I grow up I will be more observant.