• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

HELP - Vertical adjustment used??

00Buck

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 9, 2007
Canada
Does anyone know why a new rifle (Mark II 22lr) with new scope (80 MOA of adjustment) be able to achieve a 50 yard zero and only have 15MOA up travel left? I realize it would not be at the center exactly but why am I so far off and using so much vertical travel to get a 50yard zero? Anything I should check?
The rifle shoots great but this is obviously not right.

Any help or advice is appreciated

Re: HELP - Vertical adjustment used??

What scope, base and rings? Have you confirmed the total amount of internal adjustment in the scope personally (end to end) OR are you going from what the manufacturer states the total elevation adjustment to be?

Rings are Vortex
Scope is Mueller APT
Base is stock Savage bases that come on the rifle
Internal is 80 MOA, I checked it numerous times

Have you moved the bases front to back and back to front? Also do you have a second set of rings that you could try?

I have a similar problem. My Mark II has a 25 moa base under the scope, and I only have 8 mils of "up" from a 50 yard zero. I assumed it was a scope problem, but maybe it's the rifle if you're having a similar problem. I need to go poke around with a caliper.

I ran into the same problem putting a Tasco 6x24 on my Savage MKII using flat Weaver bases. I ran out of elevation before zeroing at 100 yards. I just put an EGW 20MOA base on the gun to solve the problem.

Not sure of the problem, but Burris rings with the inserts are probably the cheapest solution.