• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Help w Timney trigger problem

trappedinny

Private
Minuteman
Apr 29, 2017
Having issues with my Timney 517 flat blade trigger. I did the adjustments on my own after receiving the gun (bergara lrp with xlr element stock).

Now the firing pin is coming forward when locking the bolt down, but only after being fired. If I set the safety when I re cock the gun, then put it into fire, it cocks normally and firing pin stays back. But when i fire, then cock the gun while remaining in fire, firing pin goes forward every time I lock down the bolt. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

My guess is the cocking piece isn't travel far enough to the rear to let the trigger sear reset when you just raise and lower the bolt handle. Most of the time it's not a problem. Happens with a lot of rifles. If this is what's happening you run the risk of possible misfires from short firing pin fall. But then you won't know until you have a problem.

That was on full bolt throw.

I think I figured it out though. Think I had trigger weight a touch too low. There must not have been enough spring tension on the trigger. So when I put the bolt forward, with any sort of backward angle on the gun, the trigger was already "pulled" so it just rode the firing pin reset back and forth

I think that makes sense ?