• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

help w/Value please?? Rebuilt M1 Garand NM

cwillits505

Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 2, 2011
Republic of Texas
I need some help guys (actually a buddy of mine) on determing some kind of value on an M1 Garand.. figured Id come to the experts. he is looking at selling his gun and doesnt have a real clue what to ask.. This is everything I know so far, its a Springfield M1 Garand reciever, from CMP, pretty much all new springfield national match parts to include barrel, piston, front/rear sight, etc etc etc.. stock is Walnut, not original, in new condition, action is bedded into the stock.. Thats about all I know except that the gun is gorgeous, work was done professionally, and it will shoot sub MoA all day long.. any ideas on what to price something like this at fairly? if more info is needed please let me know and I will ask him.. Thanks guys!!

Re: help w/Value please?? Rebuilt M1 Garand NM

there are a LOT variables there.. "all work was done professionally" by whom? Because an unknown smith destroys a Garand's value IMHO...

so based on what info you gave, it'd be worth about $7-800 to me, find out more info and it might be worth substantially more...

but what you have ( right now ) is a hobbled together CMP gun that has no collector value anymore, I'd really rather have a CMP rebuilt one over some unknown "professional"

yea I understand the variables, just trying to get an idea.. and the work was done by a gunsmith who does is for a living, ALOT. Im just not really at liberty to give his name/association but lets just assume hes done this before, is damn good at it, but not like he works for CMP or something.. but it is in no way "hobbled together" if you know what I mean.. the gun was built for military high power competitions.. guess I could have added that originally...

It's not a true National Match rifle, so its worth the sum of the parts. It's a parts gun. May not even have a GI barrel on it. Sounds like a after-market stock also. As stated above, the smith that built whould have t be known to determine a value.

Generally NM guns built by guys with a decent rep will bring around 1000.00-1100.00. That being said it does matter who it is, also there are at least a few who can sell for much higher. Theres a fella in texas that builds NM garands, M1A's, 1903-A3,guns that cost 2-3 grand and hold that for resale value. So it really depends, if you know they guy has a good rep and it performs, start at 1100.00. It will sell.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cwillits505</div><div class="ubbcode-body">yea I understand the variables, just trying to get an idea.. and the work was done by a gunsmith who does is for a living, ALOT. Im just not really at liberty to give his name/association but lets just assume hes done this before, is damn good at it, but not like he works for CMP or something.. but it is in no way "hobbled together" if you know what I mean.. the gun was built for military high power competitions.. guess I could have added that originally... </div></div>

a LOT of people build good rifles, and a lot of said rifles.... doesn't mean their work increases the value of an old rifle.. and the fact that you're "not at liberty to say" tells me he's probably not someone known.. so I stand by the value has been decreased by the work, unless it was a POS receiver to start, but even then, it's worth maybe a grand as a shooter, to the right buyer, there's just nothing special about it...

you buddy will probably never get what he has in it back, it's worth $7-800 online... maybe $1000 to the right guy at a gun show or in a brick and mortar store... and it'll take time and luck to get that

Thanks guys thats about the jist I was looking for.. and hes not really looking for profit or anything like that, just didnt want to lowball himself...

think about bolt rifles on here... if it's a GAP, LA Precision, Black ops/underground shunkworks, etc,etc... that's ALWAYS listed in the ad...

Yea I know what you mean.. And completely understand the validity of having a good rep.. But it's nothing like that.. Like most on here, I have rifles that command resale value etc, but this is just a guy selling a good shooting gun.. I'm sure he'll be satisfied with those guesstimates..

Has the stock been impregnated with rosin? What is the ME and TE measurments?

Who made the barrel, how many rounds through it? What are the measurements of the piston and cylinder???

I don't care about Holding a Value, or Resale Value cause I'll never sell any of my guns again. But the above info will give you an ideal of how many rounds are left before it needs another rebuild.