• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Help Wanted: What's available 2-10 FFP under $1000

cobbonthecorn

Private
Minuteman
Jan 29, 2012
I am near exhaustion trying to find a "quality" tactical scope somewhere in the 2-10 range that is FFP and illuminated and less than $1000. (It may be that I am not searching on-line correctly.) Any suggestions? Brand, etc. Thanks in advance!

Re: Help Wanted: What's available 2-10 FFP under $1000

Hit up LibertyOptics. IOR Valdada 2.5-10 illuminated scope under $1k, not sure exact price on FFP. I've got the 3-18 and the IOR is a top notch optic!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: coldboremiracle</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Vortex PST?</div></div>

The PST 2.5-10 is SFP only...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jvencius</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: coldboremiracle</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Vortex PST?</div></div>

The PST 2.5-10 is SFP only... </div></div>

Yes, but the 4-16 is a great option, illum.(if he really needs it) FFP, and well under the 1000$ threshold he asked for.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: coldboremiracle</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Yes, but the 4-16 is a great option, illum.(if he really needs it) FFP, and well under the 1000$ threshold he asked for.</div></div>

True, depending on what features the OP has as a priority (mag range, FFP, etc.), that would be a fine option to consider as would the Weaver 3-15 with the EMDR reticle--I got mine for a shade under $700 and it's FFP/mil-mil/illuminated...

+1 Vortex. Best warranty in the industry. You hand the scope to your buddy and your buddy drops it? Vortex will replace it no questions asked?
Just my 2 cents?

Keep it coming.... so far I have

IOR Valadata 2.5-10 ffp ill side focus mp8 at $1299
Vortex PST 4-16x50 ffp ill side focus EBR-1 at $899
Weaver 3-15x50 ffp ill side focus EMDR at $699
SWFA 3-9 ffp does not offer ill

I was trying to keep the size of the scope reasonable. So, of the above Vortex is holding its own for length, weight, warranty, and range of turrent adjustment. However, the only review I read suggested that the illumination is weak in daylight. Anyone have insight to share? Again, thanks so far and I'll be listening.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cobbonthecorn</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> However, the only review I read suggested that the illumination is weak in daylight. </div></div>

Why would you care about illum being weak in daylight? Isn't it for lowlight conditions?

In my experience, illum is far overated. I have two illum scopes, and in the past ten years I have <span style="font-weight: bold">NEEDED</span> the illumination two times, and of those two times, neither was a critical shot. Just had an opportunity. So unless you are LE/military looking to harvest two-legged varmints as they burn a smoke at the unlit corner. you probably wont need illumination.

Maybe it is just me, but while reviewing scopes in the store I have found it easy to loose the aim point when the reticle is placed on deep green and dark areas. I would hope that the illumination would eliminate this effect. True?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cobbonthecorn</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Maybe it is just me, but while reviewing scopes in the store I have found it easy to loose the aim point when the reticle is placed on deep green and dark areas. I would hope that the illumination would eliminate this effect. True? </div></div>
I cant imagine loosing the aimpoint on a regular reticle, if you have such a problem I dont know if the scope is going to change that.

Tks for all the inputs. I just wish Vortex had a FFP in the 2.5-10x44! So tomorrow I'm off the the local shop to see if they have the PST in 4-16x50. May be a little too large, then I may be back to looking at SFP scopes.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: coldboremiracle</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cobbonthecorn</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> However, the only review I read suggested that the illumination is weak in daylight. </div></div>

Why would you care about illum being weak in daylight? Isn't it for lowlight conditions?

In my experience, illum is far overated. I have two illum scopes, and in the past ten years I have <span style="font-weight: bold">NEEDED</span> the illumination two times, and of those two times, neither was a critical shot. Just had an opportunity. So unless you are LE/military looking to harvest two-legged varmints as they burn a smoke at the unlit corner. you probably wont need illumination.</div></div>

I like daylight visible illumination on an FFP optic. I've been on 3x with my USO 3-17 and have lost the reticle depending on the background without the illumination on. An illuminated reticle in my opinion helps me maintain a clearly visible reticle at low mag no matter the conditions.

+1 on vortex pst awesome scopes. Best deal under 1000 for sure.

Local shop had a SFP 4-16x50 PST MOA. I think I'm in love! But I also think I may cheat and go for the FFP MRAD.....

Cheat and go with the FFP. With all the variables when it comes with shooting I like to KISS.

Ask yourself, when am I really going to use FFP on anything less than 10x power? When targets are that big, or that close, or coming at you that fast that you need to run something less than 10x power then you aren't going to be and don't need to be spending time trying to figure out any holds more complex than kentucky windage.

Points all well made and understood, holds, measuring, etc. Also, the inputs have been invaluable. So, I have a 4-16x50 FFP on its way. Should be here Friday.

Thumbs up to Sniper's Hide, the opinions, and the guy who posted Cameraland as a discount source for forum members!

I have the scope in hand, delievered promptly at a fair price. Since the mount is coming from another location I can only hand hold it for now. Quick observation about illumination. In several posts authors made note that they felt the three brightest settings were too dim. That alone initially pushed me away from the Vortex. So here is the scoop. On the brightest setting with daylight on well lit targets you can not see the "red" illumination. But wait, the reticle is clearly visible and the aim point is precise. Move the aim point to an object with a dark field matching the base color of the reticle and the illumination becomes apparent and the reticle/aim point are in "red" clearly visible to the eye. Very nice since the last thing I need is a glowing light in my eye when it is not needed. So, does illumination work well, yep.