• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing HELP! Winchester Model 70 Mag Spring

Nysios

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 10, 2012
Olympia, Wa
Hey guys I have a question for anyone that may be able to help me. I recently bought a Winchester Model 70 Classic Featherweight in 30-06. The customer that looked at it the day before me broke the magazine spring on it. (It has a bottom drop magazine release) I got a really good deal on the rifle so I bought it anyway thinking the spring would be easy to replace. To my dismay the spring for whatever reason was discontinued by Winchester. The part number is U356420930. I have looked at countless websites, Midway, Brownells, Midwestgunworks, Gunpartscorp etc etc. They are all either 'discontinued' or sold out. I emailed every company I could find that listed it as sold out and they all confirmed they would not be stocking them again. If anyone has any information as to where I could find one. Or if anyone has any experience with a different spring that would work, I would be incredibly grateful. I have found some short action springs for the model 70 and some short magnum springs (Those for whatever reason are still in production) But none of them look like they will work well. I have considered buying like 10 different ones and seeing what I can do. But before that I thought I would ask here. Thank you all for your time.

Last edited:
I am in the process of putting DBM on my M70. Meaning: I may have a spring. I'll ask my smith if he has anything paying around.

Yes I look there daily. Found some pre 64 springs but not the one I need yet

Heard that,you could also try sending Chad at LRI an email or PM,to see if he has any laying around,I know he works on Winchesters...he probably has what you need.

I've been able to get several parts, including a magazine spring and magazine boxes by going directly to the MFG. give FN/Browning/Winchester parts &a service a call. They may be able to hook you up.

Any luck yet? I haven't been able to locate one for you yet.

I ordered about 12 of them and picked the one that worked best. works pretty well though. Thanks everyone that helped.