• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Help with “feeling” when to stop pushing..?

Shootin25

Distancer
Minuteman
Feb 21, 2018
SoCal
When using a length gauge such as the Hornady to gather length dimensions, when do you actually know your on the lands?

It feels like there is a slight resistance then a dead stop. Am I to push past the resistance? Or am I just jamming the bullet at that point?

Should I be using light pressure and where it stops is where it stops?

This is the 5th barrel and I still can’t get a feel for it.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks

Honestly, it doesnt matter which method that you use so long as you do it consistently. I like the wheeler and finding exact touch point. Some people like doing the healthy jam against the solid stop. Just do it the same way each time if you want your measurements to be worth a damn compared to one another.

Honestly, it doesnt matter which method that you use so long as you do it consistently. I like the wheeler and finding exact touch point. Some people like doing the healthy jam against the solid stop. Just do it the same way each time if you want your measurements to be worth a damn compared to one another.

This x100.

Doesn't matter so much how you do it, just be consistent in your methods.

When you think you are 0.015" from the lands (based on your own measurements) but you are actually ~0.017" from the lands is completely inconsequential if you are shooting ~0.30 MOA groups.

It's all about finding what the rifle likes in regards to ammo measured with YOUR tools and procedure.

I use all the methods above. With the hornady tool I typically just cram the bullet hard against the lands and know that number would be way too long, then back off about 0.030 from there for seating depth tests as needed.

Main reason I do that is because it's fast and repeatable. It's not a "touch" number, but it gives me a reference point.