• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Help with 1st PRS Scope

Poirierpro

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Feb 24, 2020
Hey guys this is my first post here on the hide. Looking to get into PRS matches in my region and need some glass for my Tikka T3x Tac in 6.5 Creed. Some credentials are: FFP, 5-25ish, and at around $1500. Things I have no clue about are if I need locking turrets, reticule style, weight, and a hellava lot more I’m sure because I don’t know what I need. Any help or direction would be great! Thanks in advance.

Reactions: Islas82
You're close to razor gen ii money, pm me and ask why. I'm not gonna sell you anything either. .2 mil hash marks are valuable for comps as are floating dot or cross hair.

Or you could get a Cronus with the floating dot from @gr8fuldoug at cameralandny. Maybe a bushnell xrsii. Lots of options in that price range.

Call hide vendors too before you go with optics planet. That's my #1 recommendation.

I just started PRS this year with a Gen ii razor 4.5-27 because sites like this and youtube say they are so great. I just don't like them for PRS. They are a great heavy and mean heavy duty scope, just not for PRS. The turrets are probably my least favor aspect of them. I sold it and got a Tract 4-20 and love it. Around $1200 and the glass and turrets are better IMO. I plan on putting the 20x on my AR10 once the new one comes come

Mag range 5-25:
You probably will hardly go over 15x but when you need that 30 you need it.
I really only needed to but up around 25x for one stage, but I can live with 20x until they release the 5-30x56 in June.

Turrets:
I would say you may run into the need for locking turrets, it's just how careful you are handling your gun. The vortex turrets lock like crazy.. but if I had to dial during a stage, I would leave them unlocked. The Tract unlock really easy.

Reticle:
Hardest part of PRS is the time. Some stations have just one target with 5 positions, some have 6 or 7 at different ranges from one position. So dialing or using a reticle is huge. Some stages you can hold for range between targets if they are a good round number and some you can't. Other other part is wind. If you are shooting one target from many different positions, you can just dial your wind. If you have multiple targets are different ranges, most people hold for wind. Any of the Christmas tree reticles is what you need to look for, just find one your like.

The trend at the matches that I see are Kahles 624s, Nightforce ATACRs, MK-5s, ...The Athlons and Tract are just as good as those for half the money.

The other scope I would recommend is the Athlon Ares ETR, around the same price range.

I just started PRS this year with a Gen ii razor 4.5-27 because sites like this and youtube say they are so great. I just don't like them for PRS. They are a great heavy and mean heavy duty scope, just not for PRS. The turrets are probably my least favor aspect of them. I sold it and got a Tract 4-20 and love it. Around $1200 and the glass and turrets are better IMO. I plan on putting the 20x on my AR10 once the new one comes come

Mag range 5-25:
I really only needed to but up around 25x for one stage, but I can live with 20x until they release the 5-30x56 in June.

Turrets:
I would say you may run into the need for locking turrets, it's just how careful you are handling your gun. The vortex turrets lock like crazy.. but if I had to dial during a stage, I would leave them unlocked. The Tract unlock really easy.

Reticle:
Hardest part of PRS is the time. Some stations have just one target with 5 positions, some have 6 or 7 at different ranges from one position. So dialing or using a reticle is huge. Some stages you can hold for range between targets if they are a good round number and some you can't. Other other part is wind. If you are shooting one target from many different positions, you can just dial your wind. If you have multiple targets are different ranges, most people hold for wind. Any of the Christmas tree reticles is what you need to look for, just find one your like.

The trend at the matches that I see are Kahles 624s, Nightforce ATACRs, MK-5s, ...The Athlons and Tract are just as good as those for half the money.

The other scope I would recommend is the Athlon Ares ETR, around the same price range.
I love mine, but then again I’m okay with the extra weight and don’t mind the few little quirks with the Rzr gen2

Mag range 5-25:

Turrets:

Reticle:

I would not say the athalons are as good as nightforce, khales, razor g2, et.

for that budget cronus btr. Sits on my Tikka and is very good.

I'm kinda in the same boat and leaning towards a leupold 5-25 CCH reticle. Seems everyone loves the mk5.

Last edited:
Thanks guys...so it sounds like a Christmas tree style reticule is a must?

Christmas tree reticles are helpful in no dial stages, short time stages, and making corrections. As far as weight goes, it helps mitigate recoil and can help you spot impacts, and make your own corrections, but thats just my opinion. I have an 18 pound rifle. Some guys go with 20 pounds plus.

Christmas tree reticles are helpful in no dial stages, short time stages, and making corrections. As far as weight goes, it helps mitigate recoil and can help you spot impacts, and make your own corrections, but thats just my opinion. I have an 18 pound rifle. Some guys go with 20 pounds plus.

This. I have only been shooting PRS for a year now (actually only 3 regional one day matches), but I’ve been training for the past year with using less than ideal shooting positions for PRS style shooting. One thing you will learn quickly is a heavier rifle helps you stabilize and hold your position better than a light rifle. I started with a 17lb rifle and now it’s just a hair over 20lbs. When I’m considering a scope for PRS weight is not an issue. Actually the heavier the better for the reasons mentioned above. Both better stabilization, and added recoil mitigation for spotting shots and correcting. The Razor has one of the best reticles, IMO, for PRS style shooting. Some others that are really good are the Kahles SKMR 3 and I’m recently loving the S&B GR2ID. I got a chance to use it a couple of weeks ago and I have to have it now. But for the price you are looking for, yes I think the Razor is the way to go.

Reactions: Tunnuh
I would not say the athalons are as good as nightforce, khales, razor g2, et.
Depends on what your definition of good is. Do they tract as good or better? Glass is comparable? Turret features? Eye box? Durability? Warranty?

I know people that buy the most expensive scopes just to say they have one. Doesn't mean they are the best for a certain applications or something half the price isnt just as good.

Reactions: gr8fuldoug
Depends on what your definition of good is. Do they tract as good or better? Glass is comparable? Turret features? Eye box? Durability? Warranty?

I know people that buy the most expensive scopes just to say they have one. Doesn't mean they are the best for a certain applications or something half the price isnt just as good.

To start, buy and shoot what makes you happy. I have no dog in the fight. Other than in my experience the $1000-$1500 msrp scopes are just that as far as clarity, tracking, etc. I believe the op will be much better served by the ones listed in the px and don't want someone to be misled. If the others are in the budget Id say go that route.

For the record, Ive been told "Athalons are just as good as ..."xyz"... thats twice the price" many times and every time Ive gotten behind them I think the same thing "Not even fucking close. And is this thing broken?"

Mag range 5-25:

Turrets:

Reticle:

You are at the vast minority in that opinion. The Razor II has been a very popular scope in PRS matches since it came out. The eye box is huge and easy to get behind, glass is very good, reticles are very useful, knobs are great and locking with a zero stop and the only thing people say is it's heavy. Yes it is heavier than similar scope but for PRS shooting that is a plus when people are adding dead weight to rifles.

Here is a breakdown on what PRS members put in their profiles for gear used. If the Razor II didn't work I don't see that number being what it is. Granted not every scope is for everyone but saying the Razor II is not for PRS is just wrong.
86875335_449727952417893_5929305336853823488_n.jpg

Not a must but a great advantage when having to hold for quick corrections or for stages where you need to do holds due to short time and many targets or must hold stages.

Especially with riflescopes, the "diminishing returns" aspect comes into play a lot. In other words you pay more $ for slightly more performance. Think in terms of stair steps with each step getting lower in height the higher you ascend.

I wouldn't go so far as to say cheaper products are "just as good" as more expensive products. On the other hand in most ways a cheaper product can be as functional as a more expensive product but lack a little bit in small ways. Though those small steps up in fit, feel, and finish, tend to bring a smile.

OP, right now you don't know enough yet about your preferences to make an informed decision, unfortunately that only comes with experience, as well as you have a budget cap.

I do suggest buying a used scope for now, that way you can start your journey, get shooting, and if or when you decide to sell you won't be losing much $. I've bought used scopes before that I made a small amount of money on when I sold them later. Be sure to talk to the person you are buying from and ask them bluntly if there is anything wrong with the scope. If you get a bad feeling look elsewhere. I do know that Athlon and Vortex are quick to fix problems. I like quick!

Reactions: EarlSwagger66
used razor gen 2. all day. there really isnt anything else to look at.

and if the weight bothers you hit the damn gym its 10 ounces heavier than the other options

i have a comp rifle. TL3, razor gen 2, 28" heavy palma, manners PRS. 16.2 pounds. that's a light build with the heaviest scope.

I think my TL3, 26” M24, MPA comp chassis with razor is probably 19ish. I haven’t weighed it since it’s not really a big deal, it’s stable/sucks up recoil so it all good.

I think a lot of people overlook the Bushnell XRS2 and DMR2 Pro. I've been really happy with both of those optics, and have yet to feel like either has held me back for PRS matches or general range use.

Reactions: chickon1

Mag range 5-25:

Turrets:

Reticle:

Cool story brah

The following are quality, Japanese made optics.

Primary Arms PLX 6-30 Athena BPR comes in right at 1500

Sightmark Pinnacle 5-30 can be had when on sale, for less than 1000.
Said scope was reviewed by Lowlight:

I don't know how you can do better than this deal, it comes with a Kestrel:

Wow...this is great! On the search for a Razor! Thanks all!
and this is why everyone gets a razor...They also have an awesome marketing and sponsorship program for people to tell you this as well. I'm not saying razor is a bad scope at all. My first scope was a Steiner TSXi and I looked through a razor and was like, holy shit, this is what I've been missing.

All I'm saying if you can find a perfectly good scope almost $1000 less than a razor. A razor was all I had to compare it too, could be a numerous number of scopes that are just as good that cost $3000. I don't go and do shit just because someone does it.. That's almost this entire game here.

Last edited:
You are at the vast minority in that opinion. The Razor II has been a very popular scope in PRS matches since it came out. The eye box is huge and easy to get behind, glass is very good, reticles are very useful, knobs are great and locking with a zero stop and the only thing people say is it's heavy. Yes it is heavier than similar scope but for PRS shooting that is a plus when people are adding dead weight to rifles.

Here is a breakdown on what PRS members put in their profiles for gear used. If the Razor II didn't work I don't see that number being what it is. Granted not every scope is for everyone but saying the Razor II is not for PRS is just wrong.
View attachment 7268174
Here is the most recent one.. Vortex is loosing ground every year. Vortex was at the front end of making a scope that is as good as the tier ones, but reasonable price. Time has past and new vendors are popping up everyday beating what the last one did. It's that damn Free Market!

Here is the most recent one.. Vortex is loosing ground every year.

The following are quality, Japanese made optics.

Primary Arms PLX 6-30 Athena BPR comes in right at 1500

Sightmark Pinnacle 5-30 can be had when on sale, for less than 1000.
Said scope was reviewed by Lowlight:

I don't know how you can do better than this deal, it comes with a Kestrel:

Sightron SIIIs are another really good scope you hardly see mentioned

Here is the most recent one.. Vortex is loosing ground every year. Vortex was at the front end of making a scope that is as good as the tier ones, but reasonable price. Time has past and new vendors are popping up everyday beating what the last one did. It's that damn Free Market!

The one I posted is recent from the PRS profiles. Not just "what the pros use". It's shows how many who lost their gear in their profiles in the PRS are using what scope. The Razor is not losing ground.

that's a good post. I'll be interested to see how the new GR2ID reticle from S&B does. I like it from I can tell. May have to take one fort the team get one.

that's a good post. I'll be interested to see how the new GR2ID reticle from S&B does. I like it from I can tell. May have to take one fort the team get one.
Not well

Also. The pro articles are trash when a stupid number are free or 55% off

The membership gear profiles are way more telling of what normal peoplenuse

Reactions: Rob01
Man it's SO hard picking your first. As you can see you're overflowing with info and recommendations. In that $1600 range (new) I'd say the XRS II and the athlon Cronus are the two. I personally run the xrs ii on a production division MPA rifle with the H59 reticle and really have zero complaints. A step to the next level would probably be the mark 5 hd and the razor. I have a mark 5 7-35 on a 300 PRC and it's a very nice optic, but super light, and as you can see that matters to some. Beyond that many seem to jump in to the nightforce realm.

It's a very subjective thing, especially reticles. I like loaded up reticles like the H59 as it works great for precise holdovers and wind holds quickly during a string of fire. Some people want super basic reticles.

I will say, there's a couple XRS II's for sale here right now at a killer price point around 1300. That's a screaming deal for that optic, to the point that I almost bought myself a second one!

Reactions: chickon1
I don’t personally (currently) use a gen 2 Razor. But I’ve owned several.

Anyone claiming they aren’t good for prs, are overrated, etc etc (especially at the price point), well.........I doubt I’d take any advice or even have a serious conversation with them.

I don’t personally (currently) use a gen 2 Razor. But I’ve owned several.

Anyone claiming they aren’t good for prs, are overrated, etc etc (especially at the price point), well.........I doubt I’d take any advice or even have a serious conversation with them.
I didn't say they weren't good for PRS, I said I don't like them for PRS.

My reasons that plenty of others agree with:
Setting the zero
Don't like the locking turrets
Puts weight on my rifle were I don't want it.
The are just to big all around
All the turrets and other adjustments are too stiff

Someone else might think all those are great..

So many people run the razor gen ii because it was probably the best scope for the money 6-7 years ago.

People are shutting down these newer scopes that are much cheaper and just as good or better because people keep pushing the older stuff and that's all around, not just the razor. If it's not broke, don't fix it mentality.

Last edited:

Setting the zero
Don't like the locking turrets
Puts weight on my rifle were I don't want it.
The are just to big all around
All the turrets and other adjustments are too stiff

So many people run the razor gen ii because it was probably the best scope for the money 6-7 years ago.

People are shutting down these newer scopes that are much cheaper and just as good or better because people keep pushing the older stuff and that's all around, not just the razor. If it's not broke, don't fix it mentality.

6-7 yrs ago it was $2500

Its can be had for $15-1700 most places.

Please tell me a better optic sub $2k

Not well

Also. The pro articles are trash when a stupid number are free or 55% off

The membership gear profiles are way more telling of what normal peoplenuse

You think the S&B GR2ID ret is no good? It seems like a good mix between the Tangent gen 3 and a Tremor. What are your thoughts on it? If you personally could have any scope, what would you get. And what ret would you pick with it?

You think the S&B GR2ID ret is no good? It seems like a good mix between the Tangent gen 3 and a Tremor. What are your thoughts on it? If you personally could have any scope, what would you get. And what ret would you pick with it?
I think the tremor is a joke for precision sports

Gr2d looks fine but not many people run s&b anymore

7-35 milxt or milc. But with the razor turrets and non rotating ocular

Reactions: Tunnuh and calamjn
I think the tremor is a joke for precision sports

Gr2d looks fine but not many people run s&b anymore

7-35 milxt or milc. But with the razor turrets and non rotating ocular

Mpct3. Problem solved on all fronts!! ?

I wonder why people aren’t running SB anymore. I hadn’t heard that. Quality is still as good as any...

I wonder why people aren’t running SB anymore. I hadn’t heard that. Quality is still as good as any...

Reticle choices aren’t evolving correctly (they don’t even offer a standard Christmas tree or a non Christmas tree with .2 in the vertical at least)

Their prices have slowly been jacked back up into the mid to upper $3k

Old physical design. While it’s trivial and shouldn’t matter, the illumination tumor turns a lot of people off.

As a personal example:

The closest thing to a reticle I like they produce is an h2cmr.

So I can buy a DT h2cmr for $3300 or a locking turret for $3400

Or

I can get a zco for $3600 that has tons more features and better glass, with a better reticle.

A tangent for around $4200

Kahles for $2800 with better reticle

Basically at this current time, Schmidt is evolving extremely slow while charging the same prices as more modern optics because it’s a schmidt. And that ain’t gonna last but so long.

Setting the zero- Clickless zeroing allows a perfect zero and not being a little off as other can be. It gets easier the more you do it and doesn;t take a long time. You ust have to learn the optic.
Don't like the locking turrets- Shoot the sport more and the first time your dials turn and you lose points you will want locking turrets. Has happened to me and many others over the years and I want a scope with them now.
Puts weight on my rifle were I don't want it.- Again 10 ounces more than others and does not make rifles in the sport top heavy.
The are just to big all around- They are a 34mm tubed 56mm objective scope as many are. They are only 14.4" long without sunshade. The popular NF 7-35 is 16" long, 5-25 is 15.4" and Kahles 5-25 is 14.8". They are not too big all around.
All the turrets and other adjustments are too stiff- Turrets are no stiffer than most. The power ring can feel stiffer than some but most everyone uses a switchview so again a non issue.

So many people run the razor gen ii because it was probably the best scope for the money 6-7 years ago.- As mentioned the price has come DOWN over the years. They are a great deal and can be had for well under $2000 now.

People are shutting down these newer scopes that are much cheaper and just as good or better because people keep pushing the older stuff and that's all around, not just the razor. If it's not broke, don't fix it mentality.- What new scope is better than the Razors or others now? Remeber the Razor and others have proven themselves for many years in matches and it's not just a "if it ain't broke don;t fix it mentality" but a use what is proven and works as it costs a lot of money to go to matches and you don;t want to be a guinea pig and have issues and waste time and money to have a scope go down.

Answered some of your thoughts above. I am not new to the sport and have been shooting it for 17 years and have used a lot of optics in it as have others answering above.

Answered some of your thoughts above. I am not new to the sport and have been shooting it for 17 years and have used a lot of optics in it as have others answering above.
Those are all good points and I agree with your last statement there.

I'm not sure where you can buy a razor gen ii 4.5-27 for less than $2K unless you hit a sale.

You can call vendors and ask. I know some that sell them for $1899. They can not advertise for less than the MAP pricing so you need to call.

You are really close to that Razor which is a fan-freaking-tastic scope if you are trying to get into PRS. They are heavy but if you have a little weight they are durable as hell and you are going to bump that scope around your first few matches so it's going to be durable to withstand that. However if you are firm on price the Burris XTR II or III handled very well. My co-worker has one and we had a little toe-to-toe comp last time we went shooting and I wasn't turned off from how the turrets felt and performed. So while I have shot behind the NF and Kahles scopes which are the high end amazing optics. A sub 2000$ optic I would say look closer at the Burris and Vortex.

Wise man say never click add to cart on a rifle scope. Always pick up the phone.

Except a zco or leica.

Very true! And a wise man always tries to negotiate the best price offer too. Would you go with ZCO or Tangent? I would try a ZCO but damnit I just don't want to drop another $400 on a 36mm Spuhr. I feel like I have spent way too much money on mounts. I'm tying to stop.