• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Help With 300 Win Mag Ammo

charlest49

Private
Minuteman
Mar 10, 2009
NJ
I have a milspec 300 win mag and could use some help on ammo selection.I will use the gun mostly for hunting and some long range shooting.Thanks for any help.

Re: Help With 300 Win Mag Ammo

You reload?

What is a "milspec 300 win mag" and what type of game are you planning to hunt with it? There is a lot of factory ammo loaded with premium hunting bullets and there are several manufactures marketing match grade ammo,usually with the 190 SMK. If you reload,the bullet selection available for the .30 calibers is pretty vast.

i will be hunting deer at out to 500 yards.i do not reload i just buy off the shelve but dont know where to start?

I use a 180gr Interbond with 73gr of h4831 drop deer and elk

milspec boolet launchers do well with milspec boolets.....

please complete your profile....................

Apparantly he doesn't see the 10,000+ post of Boltripper's, no respect for your elders.

Reloading will give you the best variety of bullets from lighter loads up to heavy game loads to match target loads. If you don't reload...you will start once you see prices of 300WM ammo these days (at least prices on the "good" stuff)!!

If you go commercial...check out FGMM and BH 190gr SMK loads for match use. While they work well on deer, etc., too...many folks will tell you not to use match bullets on game animals (I say nonsense, but what do I know...). Hunting ammo for the 300WM is as widely available as just about any other mainstream hunting caliber like the 30-06, 308, 270, etc. I personally like the 180gr loads which will work well on deer, elk, etc. Federal and the BH "Gold" line make some excellent 180gr loads with Nosler (accubond), Barnes (Triple Shock), and other excellent bullets.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Triple 6</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Apparantly he doesn't see the 10,000+ post of Boltripper's, no respect for your elders. </div></div>

i think about 9,999 of those posts are "fill out your profile" though
grin.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: charlest49</div><div class="ubbcode-body">thanks for the help ORD </div></div>

Anytime...but do be sure to fill out your profile!!!
grin.gif