• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Help with .408 options

Sandbogg

Sergeant
Minuteman
Aug 18, 2007
Nor Calif.
I am cosidering picking up the .408 at GA precision. I have a couple of questions.

http://www.gaprecision.net/ga-precision-rifle-ready-to-ship/408-chy-tac-custom.html

Most Importantly what is your impression of this spec (rate of twist, I am especially concerned about the 28"barrel, is that long enough?) The rifle will be used to push past 1000 to 2000 plus (long range Jihadi rock killing in the desert)

Where can I find dies, components etc.
What is a good loading set up? RCBSammomaster, dies etc.
Loaded Ammo sources?

Thank you for your time, Brian.

Re: Help with .408 options

I can help you on the loaded ammo part of it. Let me know what bullet you want to shoot. Talk to Bobby Lawton (Notaguru) and Later on here. They have some good info on twist rates and such.

Call CH4D and order the following dies:

FL Die
Large Bushing Neck Sizer Die
Micrometer Straight Line Seater Die

An Ammomaster2 or similar press will be needed.

Order brass and 419gr solids from Jamison International. A less expensive alternative is 385gr solids from Lehigh. Use Retumbo or RL25 powder and Fed215M primers if you can find them.

That action/barrel combo is hard to beat - you'll be fine.

I have the CH4D neck sizer and it is bad ass along with a collection of other CH4D's I don't have the inline seater but if it is anything like any of his other dies you will not be sorry. Just happen to get the Hollywood inline micrometer because I got a good price on it. Take Dogtowns advice it is the best.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Dogtown</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Call CH4D and order the following dies:

FL Die
Large Bushing Neck Sizer Die
Micrometer Straight Line Seater Die

An Ammomaster2 or similar press will be needed.

Order brass and 419gr solids from Jamison International. A less expensive alternative is 385gr solids from Lehigh. Use Retumbo or RL25 powder and Fed215M primers if you can find them.

That action/barrel combo is hard to beat - you'll be fine.</div></div>

It took me a while before I settled on that combination. The bushing neck sizer is great because you get uniform neck tension and you don't stress the brass so much, generally doing 2 neck sizes before having to FL size to bump the shoulder back.

The Straight Line Seater die solved my runout problems, but I didn't get the micrometer version. The standard one is a bit tricky to adjust accurately because it's just a screw and a nut.

Going the .408 route is a serious investment, so don't take it lightly. Bullets are going to be your most expensive consumable cost and skimping on them will completely remove the advantage of the .408 over other slightly lesser performing cartridges like .338LM.

The thing I like about the neck sizer is you only have the cost of the bushings to basically change the whole die. Also getting the DTC die lets me do .50DTC and the .50BMG with the single die. was thinking of getting a piece of tubing .10 thick that would go around the die so it would be faster to go from the DTC to the BMG.

Be sure to use FEDERAL 215 PRIMERS ONLY, other brands are not hot enough to light the volume of powder that you will be using.

A hangfire or misfire in a .408 is something you don't want !!!!

I learned the hard way, nothing like opening a bolt on a misfired .408 cart. to get your heart rate up. It will definately ruin your shooting for the day.

Not to steal the thread, but how does the Barns 419 grains compared to the Jamison 419 grains at extreme ranges (2500+ yards)?