• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Help with 6mm selection

What 6mm do I chamber?

• 6 Dasher

Votes: 11 35.5%
  • 6BR

Votes: 8 25.8%
  • 6BRA

Votes: 5 16.1%
  • 6GT

Votes: 7 22.6%

• Total voters

earthquake

Area Man
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Jul 30, 2009
    USA
    Last summer I won a few items at local matches, one being a Hawk-Hill blank, that I just took possession of, and the other, a free chamber job cert from GA Precision. Getting ready to send the blank, 6mm, 7.5-twist, Heavy Varmint, 31" to GAP and it has me wondering what I should chamber it in.

I have shot Dasher for the past 6 years and am set up to reload the caliber. I have a ton of Alpha and older Lapua brass. I also recently bought a Proof Dasher prefit off a member here so I think I'm ok in the Dasher dept.

I also have an older 6BR medium palma 24" barrel I had picked up from PVA for my son to shoot matches with me. I'm set up all for reloading 6BR as well, but with only about 200-ish pieces of Lapua brass. That barrel has ~1,000 rounds on it now.

Should I just chamber another backup Dasher? Chamber a longer 28" BR? Or I was considering BRA as well. Though the more I consider that, I don't know what it will give me that the Dasher and BR already doesn't? Besides more headache trying to keep very similar brass separated....and having to buy more dies.

Any BRA guys glad they went that route and sold all their BR/Dasher stuff? Thanks!

I’m a big fan of the longer (28”) barreled 6brs. Easiest caliber I’ve ever reloaded, longer barrel life let’s you train with the same round, and no brass prep/fireforming.
    Ive been breaking in a new 6BR barrel from @exodusrifles and I'm experiencing the same thing. 105 Hybrids, 30-30.3 grn of Varget, 0.020" off the lands, and its doing well so far.

I'd pick a dasher and use Peterson brass. No fire forming (lapua), no soft case heads (alpha), just load and shoot. Load it light like a BR or shoot a full house load at 2900+. Really is the easy button...

Reactions: earthquake
    I voted 6BRA, but did so before reading your post.

If you already are setup for dasher, and already have a BR, then a BRA is just another thing to reload for. Personally, I like to keep life in the reloading room simple, and reloading for a plethora of cartridges is not conducive for that.

I would just keep it at Dasher and BR. Adding a BRA doesn't really gain you any performance benefits that those two cartridges don't already cover.

I have a BRA, but it's the only 6mm I own. Between the wife and I, we have two 6mm BRA rifles, which does everything a Dasher and 6BR does. I can load it to full capacity and get close to Dasher velocities, or load down to achieve BR speeds but with less powder. If I had to have only one 6mm, it's BRA, and that's the choice I made. If you wanted to simplify and go to just one 6mm, the BRA makes a lot of sense. But then you need to offload all your current gear that you are setup for.

Reactions: Dead Eye Dick
    Update. Blank was sent to GAP for a Dasher chamber. I figure since i already have a butt-ton of Alpha and Lapua Dasher brass, aaaannnddd.....I have a bunch of BR brass that can be made into Dasher, but not vis-a-versa, that Dasher is the best choice.

Thanks for playing!!

Update. Blank was sent to GAP for a Dasher chamber. I figure since i already have a butt-ton of Alpha and Lapua Dasher brass, aaaannnddd.....I have a bunch of BR brass that can be made into Dasher, but not vis-a-versa, that Dasher is the best choice.

Thanks for playing!!

Sounds like a solid choice. Probably the decision I would make if I was in your shoes.

Reactions: earthquake
    Im really liking my 6x47L with the 115gr bergers. 1500 no problem
    Although the 6br is an amazing little cartridge too.