• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Help with a 155 lapua and Varget load

DaddyRat

Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 6, 2008
Weaverville, NC
OK, I have a stock remington 700 with a factory 24 inch barrel. I have been trying to get a workable load with a 155 lapua scenar. Tried RL 15 and got real high pressures at 45.5 grains. I have switched to Varget and am getting popped primers and sticky bolt lift at 45 grains with Varget. Have not found decent accuracy yet. Am using new remington cases, federal 210 match primers and am seating the bullets to 2.850 which is the longest my magazine will take.

Any ideas as to why the pressure is building so quick? What is going on with this load.

BTW, I have found good loads with 150 nosler ballistic tips and partitions in the 45-45.5 range of RL-15 so I know this rifle will shoot accurately.

Thanks in advance for the help.

Re: Help with a 155 lapua and Varget load

Shoot the Nosler bullets. I have a Remington that will not shoot 155 Scenars and an AI that will. Shoot what it shoots.

Secant ogive bullets like the scenar can be very picky about freebore. You might have to single load the rounds and run them out very close to the lands.

Are you getting the same pressure signs with the noslers?

Don't get hung up on the 155 Scenars. If your popping primers at 45 and they won't shoot move on. I have a trg 22 that shoot's damn near everything very well EXCEPT Scenars. I can push them up to 47.2 of Varget, in the lands off the lands no likey.

Try seating them to 2.810, then if still doesn't work drop the charge a bit.

Out of 3 Factory Remmingtons that have long throats they have all shot better closer to standard length. I have not got the velocity I hoped for on a few of them but still enough to run to 1K. Astoundingly 1 is a solid 1/2 moa performer (around 2600fps).

The guy in the next bay at the range the other day was ladder testing loads in his Remmy.
155 Lap scenar
CCIBR primers
Lapua cases
46.1 gr of Varget was his best load. It looked real good.
No pressure signs.
Hope this helps

I had a problem with Varget way down in the 43.6gr range. IT looked like popping primers and came with a stiff bolt. However, as I added powder very slowly, these pressure signs went away. I now attribute the pressure to a secondary pressure spike. See bottom of following:

http://www.shootingsoftware.com/pressure.htm

Since this point, I was able to work all the way up to 47.8 gr Varget. These cases now have over 20 reload cycles on them and still the primers slip neetly into their pockets.

But note: I seat my 155 Scenars out at OAL=2.948 or 0.015 from the lands so I have more room for powder and a small jump distance. Also note, the above data is bbased on Winchester cases.

OK, loaded some up at 44.0 grains of Varget, which was the load that showed the most potential. Made the COAL 2.810 and 2.850. Will shoot them and see what happens?

I'm using WIN/BHA brass & loading 47.5gr Varget under the 155 scenar.... no pressure signs...

have you tried other brass for this load??

Nothing to do with the pressure Casey but I imagine your AI is a 1:12 twist and your Remmy a 1:10? I also shoot a 1:12 and was always told a 1:10 wasn't going to do the 155 Scenar justice.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Tyler Kemp</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Why would a faster twist "not do a bullet justice"? </div></div>

Took the words right out of my mouth.

Varget will vary quite a bit from lot to lot...back it down and seat them deeper...in the lands isnt always the most accurate. Are they touching the rifling at 2.850? Measure the base to ogive on the BT loads and try the Scenars at the same BTO. Might try Lapua brass also.

Good luck and let us know what you find.

Not touching riflings at 2.850, did not know Varget varied that much. Good idea on the BTO. Do not have lapua brass.

Do you guys just want me to shoot the Noslers so I will sell my 580+ scenars?? Just kidding

Thanks for the advice and will keep folks informed. Will not be shooting until Labor day weekend. Deer and bear scouting this weekend, then dove hunting and rifle shooting next weekend. Yeah, it sucks but somebody has to do it.

Scenars aren't rare so that's not it. We're trying to say shoot what's working.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DaddyRat</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Reread my post, it was a joke. </div></div>
I know; just shoot the Noslers anyway.

This is an excellent example of why blindly following other people's loads for starting is a bad idea.

ALWAYS start low and work up.

Next, seat them short. The guys that suggested the typical 2.810" OAL are correct. Try that and see.

I have a short mag box and a .308 Match chamber, my 155's are so far away from the lands it's not funny. However, they still shoot quite well past 200yds. They do not group at 100, however, and this may be the reason. It's always a good idea to test accuracy at the 200-300yd distance anyway before finalizing.

I use Varget and Lapua brass.

Seat short, start low, and look for target velocities that make sense in your barrel, not a given charge.

Use a faster powder. The 155's wouldn't go over 2600fps in my rifle with Varget and like you I was getting pressure signs when pushing to 45grn. I switched over to H4895 and now I'm pushing 2900 + FPS with 43.5grns. Like everyone else said check how far your bullets like to be seated and then load to ogive.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ScottyS</div><div class="ubbcode-body">This is an excellent example of why blindly following other people's loads for starting is a bad idea.

ALWAYS start low and work up.

</div></div>

I did start low and work up, just hit higher pressures before I figured I would and never found an accurate load before pressure signs started showing. I just listed where I started getting pressure signs to show where the max load is for my rifle.

I do not blindly follow anybodies loads. Reread my original post.

If your velocities are above 2700 without pressure signs, just stick with the most accurate load. Your 24-inch barrel is very unlikely to reach 2950 with Varget and 155-gr bullets with safe pressures, regardless of whether it's not yet showing unsafe pressure signs.

I read a lot of load reports here that indicate there's a huge under-appreciation for the unknown zone between a proven safe pressure level, and the "gotta-be too high" zone of pressure signs. You can still be above specs and using up your safety margin without pressure signs.

Then there's the "false positive" problem of pressure signs. IME, the appearance of the primers is reliable only if the ammo is sized to exactly the same headspace dimension as factory ammo, and uses the exact same primer as the factory load. Only then is the guess reasonable.

I've also seen hard ejector cutout marks and other casehead imprints on safe loads that where short-headspaced in old brass that was starting to let go 1/2-inch up from the casehead. Seems that last bit of stretch before failure, on short ammo, lets the casehead accelerate into the boltface, giving false high pressure signs. Some of those cases showed cracking but no gas leakage all the way around, but could be broken in two by holding the case body in one hand and grabbing the casehead with a pair of pliers.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Casey Simpson</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Shoot the Noslers</div></div>

I bought some Noslers to try out with Varget and RL15 in my crusader. Why do you like them so well. Just curius. Most folks on here prefer the sceners. Thanks Brandon