• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

help with a .224 load

Cheech

spiritus
Minuteman
Feb 15, 2009
TENUS
www.larosadesign.net
Hi folks,I was wondering if anyone is/has loading sierra .224 90 grn HPBT MK? Need some load data, powder, etc., including barrel twist and M.V. please. Any factual info would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers, Cheech

Re: help with a .224 load

you never mentioned what cartridge you will be using.

is this going to be used in a bolt action, or AR15 ?

also, the 90gr MK requires a special 1-6.5 twist barrel.

There 77gr and 80gr MK use a 1-7 or 1-8 twist barrel.

Re: help with a .224 load

Don't have a weapon yet but it will be a bolt gun. Just doing some prelim investigateing before I decide.

Berger has a 90grn BT and VLD but unlike Sierra they sugest 1-7 for both. I've been told anywhere from 1-6 to 1-8 twist depending on MV. That's why I'm asking. I should most likely also ask for weapon specs as well. Bolt?, gas? barrel length, etc.

I guess I'm anal about spending money for a custom rifle and just want to get it right the first time,lol.

I could look at Manufacturers reloading manuals but it's not really feaseble to purchase all of them. I have a Hornady manual but the heavest they produce is 80grn in .224.

Thanks for the reply, Cheers