• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Help With A 5r

PROOF

Private
Minuteman
Nov 4, 2008
NE Pennsylvania
Hey just bought a Rem 700 action with 5r in a 308.Im look to use this gun for target/lil bit or LR shooting and mostly hunting.I want to try and make this gun as accurate as possible.I have a few questions i need answered so i can get this gun up and shooting.I already have had a Terry Cross knob installed and have purchased a 40x trigger.Now here are the questions

1. Does truing the bolt show a dramatic difference in accuracy? If so where can i send it for quality work?
2. I would like to flute the barrel so which contour would be the best?
3. For what i want to use it for would it be better to use a stock style bottom metal or go with bottom metal that uses and AICS mag style?
4.Would like to use a break with this gun.Kinda like the Badger FTE break.Does this break work or it is a TACTICOOL add on and worthless.
5.Manners or Mcmillan stock.Which is a better quality stock and will take a good beating and stand up to being a hardcore hunting rifle.
6.Duracoat or Crekote? Like stated above which will take the abuse and last?

Any info,help,or suggestions will help.I have contacted GAP already and the wait to get my stuff done will be a lil longer than i want do if you have other places please post up with you input.Feel free to post or pm me also.

Re: Help With A 5r

1.Debateable, screw a new tube on a trued action/lapped lugs yes. StrictlyRUM, GA Precision, American Precison, LA Precision, RD Precision, Hooper, US Handgunner
2.Any of them, depth of the flutes will be determined by contour
3.Depends, either one will work just fine and serve your purposes.
4.Yes the FTE really works, its loud as fuck but it works
5.Either, to me Manners feels a little stronger and lighter, and Manners has a shorter wait time. McM also makes a good stock
6.Either or, both will be fine

1. not sure
2. go anything above reminton varmit
3. if price is issue go with stock
4. i like the jp cooley brake
5. i have never used manner but you can not go wrong with mcmillan
6. this is no brainer cerakote it is bake on

How is it shooting now? Lots of 5R are Sub MOA out the box with factory match ammo.

FTE is HEAVY you will end up adding more to ith than what you would remove with the fluting.

I'm not sold on the idea of dumping money into a factory barrel 5R or not. If you are looking to shave weight just have it cut back and recrowned. 18" barrel with 175's will get you to 1K yds. 20" would balance pretty nice with that profile.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: PROOF</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hey just bought a Rem 700 action with 5r in a 308.Im look to use this gun for target/lil bit or LR shooting and mostly hunting.I want to try and make this gun as accurate as possible.I have a few questions i need answered so i can get this gun up and shooting.I already have had a Terry Cross knob installed and have purchased a 40x trigger.Now here are the questions

1. Does truing the bolt show a dramatic difference in accuracy? If so where can i send it for quality work?
A: Lapping in the lugs will make it smoother to operate, but unless there is a real problem with the accuracy I would not mess with it until you are ready for a barrel with a match chamber. You didn't mention reloading your own ammo, but that is where you will find your rifles sweet spot.
A: Cosmetic only really, do what you like.
3. For what i want to use it for would it be better to use a stock style bottom metal or go with bottom metal that uses and AICS mag style?
A: Again, personal preference. No aid in accuracy
4.Would like to use a break with this gun.Kinda like the Badger FTE break.Does this break work or it is a TACTICOOL add on and worthless.
A I would not brake a hunting rifle, that's just me. What ever you do stick with it. You could see a slight change in POI with it.
5.Manners or Mcmillan stock.Which is a better quality stock and will take a good beating and stand up to being a hardcore hunting rifle.
A: Both tough as nails. I doubt either would be hurt in any hunting situation, falling off a truck, or stepped on by an elephant.
A: Both are great products. Cerakote the barrel and action, duracoat the stock. I have duracoated several 5R's and all see lots of shooting, so that will be fine if no one cerakotes in your area.
As always, YMMV=Rob

</div></div>

A: Lapping in the lugs will make it smoother to operate, but unless there is a real problem with the accuracy I would not mess with it until you are ready for a barrel with a match chamber. You didn't mention reloading your own ammo, but that is where you will find your rifles sweet spot.
A: Cosmetic only really, do what you like.
A: Again, personal preference. No aid in accuracy
A I would not brake a hunting rifle, that's just me. What ever you do stick with it. You could see a slight change in POI with it.
A: Both tough as nails. I doubt either would be hurt in any hunting situation, falling off a truck, or stepped on by an elephant.
A: Both are great products. Cerakote the barrel and action, duracoat the stock. I have duracoated several 5R's and all see lots of shooting, so that will be fine if no one cerakotes in your area.
As always, YMMV=Rob

If you want to do that much to the rifle why not just go full-on custom?

My 5R was a hammer when I got it, it was just a bit picky when it came to velocity to hit that accuracy node.

That being said it is now at the plummers getting a new .260 tube screwed on.