• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Help with a Build Please...

mram10

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 8, 2010
Idaho
I have a 270 remington 700 just sitting here and I need to build a new rifle
smile.gif
It will be for hunting deer (<800yds). I will rebarrel with a remington varmint type contour.

Was thinking of a 6.5x284 or the ai version, but I am open. I want the most accurate cartridge possible. It will be paired with a 338 edge.

Which cartridge would you choose?

I prefer the highest bc bullets (usually Bergers) possible around 3000 fps if possible.

Is there a way to make the action work for a 30-8mm? I wouldn't think so, but you guys would know if there was a way.

Re: Help with a Build Please...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mram10</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have a 270 remington 700 just sitting here and I need to build a new rifle
smile.gif
It will be for hunting deer (<800yds). I will rebarrel with a remington varmint type contour.

Was thinking of a 6.5x284 or the ai version, but I am open. I want the most accurate cartridge possible. It will be paired with a 338 edge.

Which cartridge would you choose? </div></div>

I personally love the 6.5x284 and I have seen them do some amazing things. But if you plan to shoot a lot be prepared to fork out for a new barrel every 1-1.5k rounds. Why not do a 260? It's a fine choice and has quite a bit of aftermarket options, parent cases and load data. As an added bonus, the barrel life will be fantastic when compared to the 284. Just my .02
Dave

280 remington (high BC 7mm bullets) or 30-06 (high BC 30 cal bullets and Lapua brass, wide factory ammo avail, and stout enough to hunt anything in North America)

But, if it shoots fine I would leave it alone. 270 has enough horsepower behind it to take care of any deer. Sure, it doesn't do as well as the 280 remington, but are you putting points on the board in a competition or are you putting lead in a buck's boiler room?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RADcustom</div><div class="ubbcode-body">280 Ackley </div></div>

^^^^ THIS ^^^^

My buddy had a nice 284 barrel that he cut down to 26", put a nice target crown and put a custom brake on it. Now I just need a good stock. Thank God for good friends.

I also bought a 6.5 barrel for a future build ....

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dk-1</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RADcustom</div><div class="ubbcode-body">280 Ackley </div></div>

^^^^ THIS ^^^^ </div></div>

Can't go wrong with this option.