• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing help with a build

b1c2r3r4

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 14, 2011
texas
I am going to have a rifle built but I have a couple of questions. I have a remington 700 I plan on getting trued but I can get a barrel that is already threaded and chambered just needs to be screwed on. If I go this route will it save me very much money and will it be as accurate a barrel as it was on the other receiver? Would it be better to just buy a barrel blank and have the builder do all the work? Thanks for any and all replies.

well with a trued action the action is oversized usually from 1" to 1.1" (correct me if I'm wrong) and getting a barrel made specifically for that action would be better, unless the barrel was previously on a rem 700 trued, and chamber for the exact same action. So to be on the safe side I would get a barrel made for the action.

The barrel came off a trued 700 action and I think a good gunsmith could match the threads but I am not sure.

It won't save you any cost for work by the smith. Depending on the truing method used in each case the diameter of the threads may or may not be the same. He will be having to match up to someone elses threading and chambering work which may or may not be held to the same tolerances, and takes longer than setting up from an untouched blank. Then if the chamber needs to be bumped forward a bit to correctly set headspace for your action his reamer may not match exactly to the existing chamber unless he has the specific reamer that the chamber was originally cut with. I know I won't use a barrel that has already been done unless I did the work originally or at least have the original reamer.

Thank for the replies. I guess I will start from a barrel blank and just have it all done by my gunsmith.