• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Help with a chamber issue on a new barrel

Crashnrondo

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 15, 2003
Neenah, Wisconsin
I just received my new barrel for a Savage and I installed it with the go and no-go gauges like I have done in the past with other calibers. Then I tried chambering a factory round and it jammed the bullet pretty bad, so I colored the next round and it looks like I would have to seat the factory bullet almost an 1/8" deeper to get it out of the rifling. I loaded up a dud round with a Nosler 100gt BT and I would have to seat the bullet so deep that the mouth of the brass would not even be touching the bullet bearing surface.

BTW it's a 250 Savage

My guess is that the barrel was chambered with no freebore, does that sound likely? Any other ideas before I call the smith?

Thanks,
Ron

Re: Help with a chamber issue on a new barrel

Not silly at all because I checked that right away, after the second round I mic'ed the bore and it is 25 cal for sure.

Thanks,
Ron

Do you have access to a bore scope? It might help see what the freebore and leade look like.

Could it have been reamed with a 22-250 reamer? That would account for the
problem.

Sounds like it was chambered with "zero" free bore reamer. Call the supplier and ask about the reamer specs. Sounds like the problem is in the throat. If so, a reamer is needed to solve this issue.