• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Help with a Eotech sight

riverside jeep

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Jan 20, 2019
Far northwestern Komifornia
I was hoping for a little direction with a sight. I have an EOTECH sight that looks like the current series 5 but this one was manufactured in 2004. I got it with a rifle and the guy said it was a little funky. At first it would turn on and work for a while then shut down, I tried battery's to of no avail. Shot EOTECH an email and they said its too old to repair but would give my a 50% credit on a new sight. Can anyone out there give me a little info on which sight I should replace it with ? they have a large assortment but I know nothing about them. I shoot red dots and open sight and conventional scope on my other rifles. It would be for a SHTF AR-15 , 16" fairly plain jane gun. Any help appreciated.

Depends on how you want to attach it. QD lever, or tighten with a weaver bolt. Also battery you would like to use. AA or 123.

So you have the 5 series, which is mostly AA with a weaver bolt. Though there is a model that is double AA with QD lever.

XPS is weaver bolt with 123 batteries.
EXPS is QD lever with 123 batteries.

I personally like EXPS 2-0.
First digit denotes night vision or not. 3 for night vision compatibility, 2 for not. So 2-0 is no night vision button, one center dot. An EXPS 3-4 for example has the NV button, with 4 dots.

I can't remember the differences in the 5 series. 512, 518, etc...

I just helped with a similar issue on another forum, this is a common problem with those models where the batteries are longitudinal, eventually the bumpers wear out and allow the batteries move back and forth under recoil. Although EOTech won't warranty the optic, they do sell repair parts to get it back in service.

In this video the guy goes through the parts and process to get his back up and running.

Less than $50 in parts can get the sight back up and running.

I just helped with a similar issue on another forum, this is a common problem with those models where the batteries are longitudinal, eventually the bumpers wear out and allow the batteries move back and forth under recoil. Although EOTech won't warranty the optic, they do sell repair parts to get it back in service.

In this video the guy goes through the parts and process to get his back up and running.

Less than $50 in parts can get the sight back up and running.

Thank you very much! I'll tear into it soon.

I suggest cleaning the surface very well with isopropyl alcohol (higher the better) before putting the new bumper on. The old one may leave a residue which will want to prevent the new one from sticking well. The bumper cup springs will want to push the rubber bumper off. So you will want to hold it tight for a good 60 seconds then promptly install the battery cap with batteries. It's a little tricky to get it back on with all the small parts, I like to hold the bumper on the tips of my fingers and bring the sight down on top of it. Straighten it out and press and hold. Make sure the cups spring back and forth before you install the battery cap.