• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Help with a Heandheld GPS

Magforce

Private
Minuteman
Aug 30, 2009
Lebanon, Tennessee, USA
Guys and Gals,

I need a little help here. I am looking for a GPS for outdoor use that will give me Temperature, Barometric Pressure and Altitude really dont need a GPS but I mainly need one device that will give me those 3 main things if they have that built into a GPS a plus if not what device will give me these: Temperature, Barometric Pressure and Altitude

I want to use it when I am building loads and shooting.

Can anyone give me ideas on what the products are called? Brands? Goods ones ? Location or links to purchase or know of one being sold or wanting to trade ?

Re: Help with a Heandheld GPS

You need a weather station, not a GPS.
Kestrel is the company you are looking for.

You might look into the Kestrel weather units, if you don't need the gps part. They are quite accurate and probably better for what you need. I don't think most GPS units give temperature and typically if they do they are rarely very accurate as the sensor is inside the GPS, so you typically have to leave them exposed in the shade for some time so the temperature can equalize with ambient. Some Kestrel models will also do pressure density as well, and give you wind values, humidity, etc.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sobrbiker883</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Kestrel </div></div>

He beat me to it... you dont need a GPS, Kestrel or a good watch.

Casio PAW 1100. The temp won't help unless you keep it off your wrist. A small thermometer that attaches to a coat zipper will work fine. Currently $130.00 at COSTCO.

I was thinking about that build into a GPS so when I was doing target shooting and hunting I can plot ranges and such but I may just go with the Kestrel

Im looking at the Kestrel and what do you guys think the 4500 or the 4500 NV or they have on that is 4500 NV with Horus Ballistic Software anyone know much ?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Magforce</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Im looking at the Kestrel and what do you guys think the 4500 or the 4500 NV or they have on that is 4500 NV with Horus Ballistic Software anyone know much ? </div></div>

Depends on what you want it to do.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">...Temperature, Barometric Pressure and Altitude...</div></div>

For shooting purposes, you neither need nor want altitude.

For calculation of air density, you need atmospheric pressure, temperature, and, maybe - depending on how far you are shooting - humidity.

A Kestrel will get you all three of those things. A Kestrel 4000 or 4500 will also calculate density altitude for you.

Alternately, you can get a watch like the Casio Triple-Sensor Pathfinder, which measures station pressure, and a cheap thermometer. Assume the humidity is 50 percent.

And if you aren't aware of the difference between barometric pressure and station pressure, read Barometric Pressure and Ballistic Software.