• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Help with a Kollmorgen Bear Cub 4x

tokiwartooth

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 30, 2012
Hixson, Tennessee
Anyone out there with one of these scopes? The one with the cross hair imprinted on the eye piece.
I have a friend who sent me one to fix, he bought it but it's completely missing the cross hair to the point where I don't have a clue where it goes.
If someone has some pics with the eyepiece screwed off, it would be great, or at least tell me where we the crosshair is located internally.

Thanks!

Email from Kollmorgen...

Greetings Joe,

Your Technical Help Desk # XXXXXXX: Schematics has had a recent update below:

Joe,

I have been here 7 years and had no idea what this was. I know that Kollmorgen started with optics, but never knew we made gun scopes until I did a search on this.

Everything now in Radford is motors, motor controls, etc. We have nothing re: optics, nor any drawings / documents.

If we did, all drawings are considered PROPRIETARY.

Closing case. XXXXX

Customer Support

Kollmorgen, Dover

Kollmorgen sold the Bearcub line to Redfield in the late 50's. You probably would be better off contacting one of the repair services that specializes in old military scopes like ironsite.

Kollmorgen sold the Bearcub line to Redfield in the late 50's. You probably would be better off contacting one of the repair services that specializes in old military scopes like ironsite.
I'm repairing it. I've done the Redfield flavor a number of times as they have a different erector, but this is Kollmorgen.
I can pretty much find out myself once I take it apart, but I would like to know beforehand. These type 2 scopes are generally all the same, outside of the reticle location.

I have one of those, exactly what is it you are looking for? I also do not have the capability for pics. Let me know.

Apart.... The scope uses a ring that holds that spring in place, under tension, that presses up against the surface of the erector. Overkill design, if you ask me. Pop the ring from the groove, and the spring shoots out like a suspension spring on a car. Reticle on the objective side like the Redfield versions. Scope is a "tank". Easy work from here.

20140118_122759_zps2374acf9.jpg

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Well, steelap's scope (CMP forum member) is all repaired and back together. What a pain. Had to compress the sprint into the tube and then slip the split retaining ring in. Utilized a socket set to do this. Then had to ream the aluminum framing ring that locks into the spring assembly to clean it up and alumi blacked it. Wow.
Now...

Here is yet another version of a bear cub I'm now working on.. Amazing. There is ZERO in comparison to the other one I just finished, and both of those have ZERO in comparison to the one I restored and gave to Art Luppino.

This one needs new lenses, specifically eye lens doublet and the erector lens looks like a bad cataract, so I have to pull the assembly pictured below completely apart to get to that lens. I have about 2 dozen brand new erector lens doublets I searched and found. They just need to be glued. Have the Canada Balsam for that, but some of them are actually not glued, which could be the case with this scope since there is excessive mold growing between the erector doublet.

20140129_221031_zps23edb81f.jpg

20140129_220500_zps5a8cbd6b.jpg

20140129_220452_zps1968dd1e.jpg

Last edited: