• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Help with a ladder test

nitronova

Sergeant
Minuteman
May 20, 2010
henderson nv
Please refer to picture below . Sorry as I am not computer savvy.

This is my 2nd ladder test and I am a little confused. The wind gusted up on me a little with the shots hitting in the green. I was wondering which you guys thought grouped the best? Or if I need more distance to make it more clear? I shot the first one at 300 yards and had to move cause the rangers kicked us out. So I loaded them up again in .2 grain increments and tried again at 400 yards. I hope the picture loaded up good and clear as it was taken with my phone. Also why do I have some flying way up like the 77.2gr and the 77.8gr but the 77.4gr was down low with some of the ones with the lower powder charge? This is my first time of doing a ladder test. The rilfe if it helps is a remmy 700p in .300wm using 208amax with h1000 powder. Thanks guys

Re: Help with a ladder test

I can say this about a ladder test. Record your velocities & Number them to match the numbers of your holes on paper. Record your powder charges next to your velocities in your data book too. You may be surprised to actually see higher velocites from lower charges or vice versa, It happens sometimes. If you can't verify the velocity to the numered hole you won't have a clear picture of what's actually happening on paper.

Example: string 1 string 2
shot #1 77.1 grs 3,000 fps 77.1 grs 3,050 fps
shot #2 77.6 grs 3,050 fps 77.6 grs 3,000 fps

Although the powder charges are different the velocites would indicate that the bullet holes would be more likely to be grouped together. Alls you have to do is back up to 600 to get a better read on your sweet spot, if possible. And find a way to keep velocites from shot to shot the same.