• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Help with a new 300 PRC rifle purchase - solid factory offerings

Smitty192

Stand-up Philosopher
Supporter
Minuteman
Feb 23, 2017
Deep East Texas
I've decided to purchase a new rifle in 300 PRC. Not a dedicated hunting rifle, more akin target rifle. This 100% want vs. need. I've been wanting a large magnum rifle for sometime and I am in a position to get one.

I don't want to go through the process of a custom build and I would like to try and keep this as economical as possible, for a gun purchase anyway.

The factory options I see that intrique me are as follows:
These look to be in to $2K +/- range for a new rifle.
Savage Elite Precision
Ruger RPR
Christensen Arms MPR
Bergara Ridgeback

I also found some new old stock Savage 110 FCP rifles for around $1K. This one checks a lot of boxes for a really reasonable price.

Last option would be buying a Savage action and putting one together. That puts me around the $1800 +/- mark.

I would like to get some feedback on the above factory offerings, please. Good, bad, & ugly. Any other factory offerings I missed? Any other paths for a budget friendly, easily sourced parts build?

Thanks for the help

Mack bros action, PVA prefit, krg bravo and a trigger tech would be about 2k! And way better then a savage build!!!!

Reactions: Metzger
Browning has some great options if you can get over the trigger. I just sold one that was easy sub moa with factory 212 eldx

Reactions: Smitty192
I'd build my own...with a quality barrel, install in Aluminum chassis...but most have to buy factory or have it built by a gunsmith.

Bought a new Remington 700 300WM for the action, for another project, $540. Decided to shoot it while waiting on a barrel blank to be made. Lapped the barrel, threaded the barrel for a muzzle brake, put it in a aluminum chassis, for long 3.700" COAL.. Everything else stock, total cost $940. And it surprisingly shoots good 5 shot groups with 230 gr Match bullets at 2962 fps.
Nope, ain't recommending it, ...it just is..

LOLWTF

He said he didn't want to build one.

F- for reading comprehension

F- to you, window licker!!!!!

His post says "Last option would be buying a Savage action and putting one together. That puts me around the $1800 +/- mark."

It also says "Any other paths for a budget friendly, easily sourced parts build?"

That means he wouldn't mind doing a build as a last option. I was just suggesting that a Mack Bros build would be a better set up than a Savage.

You run around the internet talking shit like you are somebody but only person who thinks your special is your Mom.

I'd build my own...with a quality barrel, install in Aluminum chassis...but most have to buy factory or have it built by a gunsmith.

Bought a new Remington 700 300WM for the action, for another project, $540. Decided to shoot it while waiting on a barrel blank to be made. Lapped the barrel, threaded the barrel for a muzzle brake, put it in a aluminum chassis, for long 3.700" COAL.. Everything else stock, total cost $940. And it surprisingly shoots good 5 shot groups with 230 gr Match bullets at 2962 fps.
Nope, ain't recommending it, ...it just is..
A step above servicable still works. Just curios...what was the OAL of rounds you were running with the factory action? Glad it shot well for you.

A step above servicable still works. Just curios...what was the OAL of rounds you were running with the factory action? Glad it shot well for you.
It says in the post...3.715" MDT detachable in an Alum chassis, added that and a brake before firing the first shot. It can be modified for 3.850 mags...if I care to.
This is just a for fun gun, getting some good groups and pushing the old 300WM cartridge to see what velocities are possible, before changing out the factory barrel, for .510 cal. And .585" bolt head. So far 230 SMK 2962 fps and 200 SMK over 3200 fps, in factory barrel, it's as good as the cluster of 300s in this category...if the belt don't bother ya.
I modified the action of the 300RUM to run 4.020" out of the mag. Shooting 250 gr Atips at 2985 fps in a 26" barrel. Was gonna put a 30" heavy palma 8 twist on it for 3100 fps with the 250 Atip, but chambered it for 308 win... To try it and liked it, so left it on the 308 Win.

I've decided to purchase a new rifle in 300 PRC. Not a dedicated hunting rifle, more akin target rifle. This 100% want vs. need. I've been wanting a large magnum rifle for sometime and I am in a position to get one.

I don't want to go through the process of a custom build and I would like to try and keep this as economical as possible, for a gun purchase anyway.

Savage Elite Precision
Ruger RPR
Christensen Arms MPR
Bergara Ridgeback

I also found some new old stock Savage 110 FCP rifles for around $1K. This one checks a lot of boxes for a really reasonable price.

Last option would be buying a Savage action and putting one together. That puts me around the $1800 +/- mark.

I would like to get some feedback on the above factory offerings, please. Good, bad, & ugly. Any other factory offerings I missed? Any other paths for a budget friendly, easily sourced parts build?

Thanks for the help
Rifle Shooter has a comparison on line of the 6 top rifles in 300 PRC.
They have a variety depending on how much weight you want to carry or ...not carry.
ONE THING I NOTICED WAS TWIST RATE..
SHOULD BE 8 TO 8.5 twist... For Long heavy high BC bullets, in 300 PRC.
The Savage, Bergara, RPR, Christensen, Browing , and Seekins, were listed.
The Seekins was listed last choice on their list...
It was light for hunting, heavy ones are available...but it had a 1-10 twist listed...I would not buy a 1-10 twist, for LR shooting. The good BC bullets keep a higher BC with 9 and 8 twists, and stablize...check Hornadys site on twist rates for LR comparison..and BC changes even if they are stabilized...fast twist is best, 8 to 8.5, for the 300 PRC.
Even my last 2 bolt 308s have 9 and 8 twist barrels installed for that reason. And the 8 twist will shoot 130 gr to 250 gr accurately.
Check them out, see which suits your needs and budget, as the ones you mentioned are on the list.

They have a variety depending on how much weight you want to carry or ...not carry.
It was light for hunting, heavy ones are available...but it had a 1-10 twist listed...I would not buy a 1-10 twist, for LR shooting. The good BC bullets keep a higher BC with 9 and 8 twists, and stablize...check Hornadys site on twist rates for LR comparison..and BC changes even if they are stabilized...fast twist is best, 8 to 8.5, for the 300 PRC.
Even my last 2 bolt 308s have 9 and 8 twist barrels installed for that reason. And the 8 twist will shoot 130 gr to 250 gr accurately.
Check them out, see which suits your needs and budget, as the ones you mentioned are on the list.
That’s interesting. I hadn’t even thought to look deeper into that. Thanks.

I could be mistaken, but the article just listed them from lowest to highest cost, not ranked? We could be looking at different articles, but either way, I would look at the Seekins PH2, not the Seekins Element that is listed in the article that I found.

I would say that the PH2 is a more hunting leaning rifle, but the one in my shooting group only gets used at the range, and shoots the Hornady factory 300 prc loads fantastic, maybe a faster barrel twist would be better, but that is beyond my knowledge base.

I could be mistaken, but the article just listed them from lowest to highest cost, not ranked? We could be looking at different articles, but either way, I would look at the Seekins PH2, not the Seekins Element that is listed in the article that I found.

I would say that the PH2 is a more hunting leaning rifle, but the one in my shooting group only gets used at the range, and shoots the Hornady factory 300 prc loads fantastic, maybe a faster barrel twist would be better, but that is beyond my knowledge base.
I do not care which one anyone buys. Bit the 10 twist would eliminate the Seekins, in LR shooting as many of the high BC bullets starting at 200 grs to 250 gr requires 9 and 8 twists...it states so on the box. With a 10 twist you cut out those bullets completely from your LR shooting endeavors, leaving you uncompetitive against guys using them...
The whole idea behind the 300 PRC in the first place...longer COAL, and 8 twist barrels, is what makes it a PRC...without that it's just a 300WM without the belt. The 300WM can be made the same as the PRC with a new 8 twist barrel and a longer mag installed...as their capacities are almost identical. Just the facts...
Pick the factory rifle you want, with an 8 or 8 5 twist...as most all of them will have...infact Seekins is the only one I've seem with the limiting 10 twist...which eliminates it immediately for me, cause it can not complete in the LR events like a PRC is supposed to be able to do... I'd change the barrel before I'd even shoot it, with a Bartlein 5R 8 twist in a heavier contour for me, otherwise it would be just wasting LR ammo...it ain't about 100 yd groups, with factory ammo...a 308 will do that really well.

I do not care which one anyone buys. Bit the 10 twist would eliminate the Seekins, in LR shooting as many of the high BC bullets starting at 200 grs to 250 gr requires 9 and 8 twists...it states so on the box. With a 10 twist you cut out those bullets completely from your LR shooting endeavors, leaving you uncompetitive against guys using them...
The whole idea behind the 300 PRC in the first place...longer COAL, and 8 twist barrels, is what makes it a PRC...without that it's just a 300WM without the belt. The 300WM can be made the same as the PRC with a new 8 twist barrel and a longer mag installed...as their capacities are almost identical. Just the facts...
Pick the factory rifle you want, with an 8 or 8 5 twist...as most all of them will have...infact Seekins is the only one I've seem with the limiting 10 twist...which eliminates it immediately for me, cause it can not complete in the LR events like a PRC is supposed to be able to do... I'd change the barrel before I'd even shoot it, with a Bartlein 5R 8 twist in a heavier contour for me, otherwise it would be just wasting LR ammo...it ain't about 100 yd groups, with factory ammo...a 308 will do that really well.
Hornady list 1-10 twist as minimum for the 225 ELD-M. I bet Seekins has done their homework.

Hornady list 1-10 twist as minimum for the 225 ELD-M. I bet Seekins has done their homework.
Yes I know that... so does everyone who shoots LR.. but what about some of the better LR bullets in the 230 to 250 gr. , and even 200 gr that LR shooters handload that actually require 9 and 8 twist.
You need to do your homework before, making such a novice comment. If Seekins 300 PRCs all have a 10 twist, I'd never own one...and Seekins is on the wrong side of competitive shooters, and they are not in contention for real LR rifles.
Study ballistics ...look at Hornady’s site, the 300 PRC "was developed" by Hornady with an 8 twist, with a longer COAL, for long heavy bullets, specifically for this cartridge, to be a LR contender, the 230 Atip and 250 Atip, the heavy Bergers, need the fast twist for LR...even the lesser 225s will retain BC much better in an 8 than a barely stable 10 twist...check it out.
Obviously Seekins hasn't done there homework on LR shooting with a 10 twist, when every manufacturer I've seen has a 8 twist, one 8.5, and one 9 twist. There is a reason why, because they know it's necessary for LR and ELR, and the way the 300 PRC was designed...

Last edited:
@45-90

You may not care what the OP buys, but you seem heavily vested in being “right”. I am not saying you are wrong from a ballistic science perspective, in fact, I am sure you are right. That said, nothing in the OP’s post led me to believe that he is a competitive shooter, or that he plans to reload to maximize his range, so my advice was based on the information he shared. Either way, in my real life experience, the PH2 I have shot extensively in 300 prc has been a great rifle that has shot well enough with factory loads that the time has not been taken to bother reloading for it.

My personal experience does not match up with your science, and that is ok, as is life sometimes. I did appreciate your assertion that anyone who disagrees with you must be a 100 yard novice shooter, when in fact, I am still working my way up to 100, taking it slow don’t you know ;)

@45-90

You may not care what the OP buys, but you seem heavily vested in being “right”. I am not saying you are wrong from a ballistic science perspective, in fact, I am sure you are right. That said, nothing in the OP’s post led me to believe that he is a competitive shooter, or that he plans to reload to maximize his range, so my advice was based on the information he shared. Either way, in my real life experience, the PH2 I have shot extensively in 300 prc has been a great rifle that has shot well enough with factory loads that the time has not been taken to bother reloading for it.

My personal experience does not match up with your science, and that is ok, as is life sometimes. I did appreciate your assertion that anyone who disagrees with you must be a 100 yard novice shooter, when in fact, I am still working my way up to 100, taking it slow don’t you know ;)
Nope, don't care...and it ain't "my science"...it just is. Enjoy your rifle..your choice....not mine. I learn from bad choices and relate that...my 300RUM had a 10 twist...so I know about that. When the 250 Atips go sideways at a mere 100 yds. at 2985 fps. muzzle velocity, I'm missing out on a very good ELR potential, for that cartridge...might as well not have it...unless the barrel is changed to 8 twist its not competitive.

Conquering that first hundred yards can be a difficult step, and enormous leap, in LR... so take your time,...however "you" do it, enjoy getting there.

With the plethora of good actions available, putting one together is easier than ever. You can even purchase barreled actions and just drop in your choice of stock or chassis.

On the list I would only consider the Ruger RPR and Bergara. But would push more towards building one. The Seekins is a fine hunting rifle but not suited well for target work.

Also consider the barrel life of the 300 PRC knowing that it will need a new barrel if used much. The custom actions offer more capability and options moving forward.

Cause if your a potential buyer ya might want to know...and its my time so I'll mention what ever I care to, ...same as you ...thanks, ...and don't mention it.
1706477057215.gif

The comical, predicted, childish behavior, raises its temper tantrum head, as usual...again and again, from so called men, pounding a key board...in tormented, immature anguish and anger...these delicate flowers confronted, and exposed, a glimpse, at the real reflection of who they are...no one can do that, but they never tried in earnest, and have no idea. As even history is already shown. The know it all, expert bullies on the playground....exposed...all have the same reaction time, after time, after time. A perceived mental illness, of sorts.

The comical, predicted, childish behavior, raises its temper tantrum head, as usual...again and again, from so called men, pounding a key board...in tormented, immature anguish and anger...these delicate flowers confronted, and exposed, a glimpse, at the real reflection of who they are...no one can do that, but they never tried in earnest, and have no idea. As even history is already shown. The know it all, expert bullies on the playground....exposed...all have the same reaction time, after time, after time. A perceived mental illness, of sorts.
Thanks for the psycho babble drivel, hopefully your gun plumbing is superior to your pearls of wisdom.

Here’s a nugget for you…

1706511124448.gif

Hornady based the
300PRC cartridge on a 1-8.5 twist.
Exactly, and these match bullets require a minimum of 8, 8.5, & 9 twists... there are a bunch more high BC bullets that you may want to try in this category, but the correct twist rate is needed...get the 8 twist and most available common bullets used in LR are covered... Or not. Altitude and temperature can help or hurt the barley stable bullet.

Attachments

• 20240129_010840.jpg
    20240129_010840.jpg
    587.5 KB · Views: 26
  • 20240129_010823.jpg
    20240129_010823.jpg
    421 KB · Views: 24
Exactly, and these match bullets require a minimum of 8, 8.5, & 9 twists

I just rebarreled my 300 PRC (as in just... I got to stand with Marc at Spartan Precision and watch his mastery on Friday), and I moved up from a 9 twist to a 9-8 gain.

A 10 twist is fine for a 308, it's on the edge for a 300 PRC, especially with even more heavier bullet options out there now. So, why gimp yourself from the go?

@Smitty192

Of the rifles you mentioned:

Savage Elite Precision
This is a $2200 rifle at Sportsmans. I have a heavily modified Savage 300 PRC. It needed a rebarrel with a Bartlein to shoot well. It's also been in a safe for like 3 years. Again, with a new Bartlein it shot very well, but the action/bolt is, dare I say, trash.

Ruger RPR
This is a $2100 rifle at Sportsmans. I've shot Ruger RPRs, they do okay, but there's limited aftermarket support. A good friend of mine has one and it, like my old Savage, is hidden away in a safe.

Christensen Arms MPR
~$2000 - Eh... I've shot a couple of these and helped a friend load develop against his in 6.5 PRC. Again, okay...

Bergara Ridgeback
~$2150 - Of all the brands you list, I like Bergara (the ones with the Premiere action) the best. I owned one in 6 CM a few years ago and I like the brand (again, the Premiere action models) quite a bit. The trigger (Triggertech) is good right out of the box, the action is smooth. The barrels are solid for a factory rifle. I also like the stainless bolt. For long-action magnums, however, I'm not sure their products upsize all that well. There have been more than a few posts here about issues with the 300 PRC model, echoed by a friend who had a few problems with his that required some customer service calls - on these models, they do have good CS. Perhaps those issues have been worked out.

I know you don't want a "custom" rifle, but, as others have said, you can buy a barreled action for $~1500, a solid trigger for $150-$200, and ~$700 for pretty good chassis, put it together yourself (it ain't that tough), and have a much better overall rifle.

Reactions: 45-90

Savage Elite Precision
Ruger RPR
Christensen Arms MPR
Bergara Ridgeback

Thanks for the help
I went with a Seekins Havak, Savages can be solid but it’s a hit or miss thing. Bergara and RPRs are usually solid but I’d avoid Christensen lots of qc issues and shitty CS

I went with a Seekins Havak, Savages can be solid but it’s a hit or miss thing. Bergara and RPRs are usually solid but I’d avoid Christensen lots of qc issues and shitty CS
The more about CA, the worse they appear to be. The thread on here about them has been revealing.

It's been mentioned ad nauseum earlier in this thread, but the Seekins' 1:10 twist is a show stopper if you're going to shoot heavier bullets. And if you're going to be shooting ELR, you want heavier bullets - regardless of whether you're shooting comp or not.

Seekins looks like a solid offering, but someone in their product department should be fired for keeping the 1:10 barrels from their 300 WM. That twist rate can work there as the shorter throat doesn't allow for longer, heavier bullets. That's not what the 300 PRC was designed for.

It's been mentioned ad nauseum earlier in this thread, but the Seekins' 1:10 twist is a show stopper if you're going to shoot heavier bullets. And if you're going to be shooting ELR, you want heavier bullets - regardless of whether you're shooting comp or not.

Seekins looks like a solid offering, but someone in their product department should be fired for keeping the 1:10 barrels from their 300 WM. That twist rate can work there as the shorter throat doesn't allow for longer, heavier bullets. That's not what the 300 PRC was designed for.
That 1/10 twist almost made me pass it over, luckily however it shoots great with hornady 225s

I’d still consider the Havak even with the 1/10 rifling. I’d prefer 1/8 but I’ll probably rebarrel once I hit 2k ish round count

The more about CA, the worse they appear to be. The thread on here about them has been revealing.
If you willing to add 500$ to the budget, look at the MPA Ultralight Hunter for 2350$

It's better than what has been listed IMO.

Another option, even though you said you do not want to build it, is getting a Zermatt Origin long magnum action for 1000$ and a barrel for 500$. Toss them in a KRG Bravo or MDT XRS chassis for another 400$. With today's machining it's supper easy now, everything is bolt and go, no more having to use a gunsmith to fit the parts for you.

I did a 308 WIN and a 300WM for less than 2K each this way.

Added:
Twist rate, 1:8 if you want to shoot anything over the Berger 215's and 1:9 if you are only going to shoot the Berger 215's and lighter bullets. I would also go with 1:8 if you plan to shoot the monolithic bullets.

Last edited: