• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Help with a Remington 700 Long Action

bassfishindoc

Private
Minuteman
May 31, 2011
The Hills of East TN
Hey all, I am in search of a Remington 700 long action to build a rifle on. I came across an older 700 in my local gun shop for a good price, however, there were some things on it that I had not seen before and am seeking your help in explaining these differences to me.
First, sorry for the picture quality, these were taken with my phone.
The first two pictures show the action, and as you can see, the rear receiver ring has a notch cut into it going back almost to the scope mount. I searched the internet and could not find if this was a design variation that Remington did for a while, as the cutout looks to be factory. If it is not factory, any idea of why somebody would cut out part of the receiver ring? I thought maybe it was a slot for a clip like in the M24, but it is not shaped the same. Any ideas?
The last pic is of a 7mm bolt face from another rifle I own. My reason for posting this is because you will note the notch cut into the left lug, this notch was missing on the 700 at the gun store. This notch is present in all my other 700's. Was this a design change by Remington? If i buy this gun to use the action will i be at a disadvantage not having this notch What does the notch do?
Thanks for all your help.

Rem700LAwithcutout1.jpg

Rem700LAwithcutout2.jpg

http://i1255.photobucket.com/albums/hh635/bassfishindoc/7mmBoltFace.jpg

Re: Help with a Remington 700 Long Action

looks like gunsmith milled clip slot, wont matter for your build, prolly be covered by a one piece base anyway. Dont know what the notch does or doesnt do but wouldnt worry about that either

That notch was in the transition period between the 722's and 700's. Factory done. I've seen it in 40X's and short 700's of that period. The old ones didn't have the antibind rail in the action thus no slot in the bolt lug. Those are fine old actions. Just have a different feel to them.

I thought the 722's were only released in short action? Did the notch in the rear receiver ring make it over to the long action 700's when they first introduced them?

Just bringing this back to the top before it disappears to the second page to see if anybody else knows any more about this. Thanks for the help so far.

Looks exactly like my dads 270 from the 50's (Including/and the lack of both notches....)

Dave

I believe the rear bridge height s different than current models too.

It is original. Also note how skinny the transition is where the handle joins the bolt knob. I have a first year (1962) Mdl 700, 7 mag. really slick action. Just hung up debating whether to use it as a donor or keep it as is. It shoots the cheap WalMart Federal stuff sub MOA, which doesn't help in deciding. The old flat safety split sear triggers on these are awesome, too. CKruse