• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Help with a sticky feeding issue

BoulderE89

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
Jul 26, 2019
St. George, UT
I’m having sticky feeding issues on my 6.5 creedmoor, where the rounds get stuck right before the bolt closes. Its a new rifle and I wanna get this sorted asap.

Barrel maker says it’s an action problem. Action maker says it’s a barrel problem (just got a new bolt from them with the correct firing pin size from them so I’ve tried 2 bolts with the same result) and both have thought it might be mag issues but between the adjustable mag catch and video it looks like it’s leaving the mag just fine. So not sure where to go from here. I am attaching a video and pics of the factory Hornady rounds after testing them a few times. The brass is a scuffed and I’m wondering if that’s normal?

Anyone ever have this issue and if so what did you do to solve it? Not naming any manufactures cause I don’t know what the issue is yet and am not looking to bag on anyone. Just want this thing to feed normally.

Edit: I can’t upload the video of me trying to feed the rounds, anyone know why? Here is the video on imgur

CC3B87DE-B3D5-47BD-8F17-E1A25FA71187.jpeg

Last edited:
Had the same thing happen to me with the rounds hanging exactly where yours are. Its a barrel problem. I used two different actions, two different stocks, two different types of bottom metal and magazines. It was only fixed after my barrel came back from inspection with “polished chamber” as the fix.

These photos are from many chamberings and extractions trying to figure out the problem.

Attachments

• DC9152F4-F87B-4663-A4C6-AD71A9CF6478.jpeg
    DC9152F4-F87B-4663-A4C6-AD71A9CF6478.jpeg
    117.6 KB · Views: 66
  • 56552360-164B-40DE-B368-B1F6A5817879.jpeg
    56552360-164B-40DE-B368-B1F6A5817879.jpeg
    109.6 KB · Views: 45
Last edited:
Reactions: BoulderE89
If your action closes with no binding without ammo, it's most likely barrel. The round makes it through the feed ramp just fine. Based off the marks on your rounds, your chamber may have not been cut correctly specifically around the case shoulder area. You can also experience that type of feeding issues if the round is loaded long and the throat is cut too short, but in that instance you'll see bullet set back and marks on the bullet rather than the case itself. If you had a borescope, you'd likely see burs in the chamber.

Last edited:
Had the same thing happen to me with the rounds hanging exactly where yours are. Its a barrel problem. I used two different actions, two different stocks, two different types of bottom metal and magazines. It was only fixed after my barrel came back from inspection with “polished chamber” as the fix.

These photos are from many chamberings and extractions trying to figure out the problem.

That’s exactly what I’m seeing with mine. Did your gun run smooth once you had it all sorted out with the “polished” barrel?

Yes sir it does. I haven’t had a problem since. The chamber looked good with a naked eye before I sent it in.

Reactions: BoulderE89
Can you remove the barrel and drop a loaded round into the chamber?

If it does, try removing your extractor and repeating the cycling test.
It appears like it's not snapping over the case rim until it's hit a second time.

Probably not enough clearance on the barrel or a burr in the chamber.

Either way, it's most likely a barrel issue

Can you remove the barrel and drop a loaded round into the chamber?

If it does, try removing your extractor and repeating the cycling test.
It appears like it's not snapping over the case rim until it's hit a second time.

Probably not enough clearance on the barrel or a burr in the chamber.

Either way, it's most likely a barrel issue

One way or another tomorrow I’m gonna get a chamfer on that barrel chamber and see if it helps. Everyone generally thinks that the chamber has too sharp of an edge so I’ll see if that can solve it. And maybe polish the chamber while they are at it

Remove the ejector first. If the ejector is too long it will cause this problem. Plunger ejectors should generally be .020-.030 below the bolt nose
Remove the extractor second and re-test

Reactions: Baron23
I have a very similar issue. https://www.snipershide.com/shootin...cle-photo-slow-motion-video-attached.7101288/

It wasn’t the ejector for me, and before I replaced the extractor with another, the action was returned. I’m having another two actions sent and will be testing again afterwards.

I had more damage to the brass in my case, but similar issues. My cases didn’t feed quite as far in as yours did, and were binding at an angle against the entry to the chamber, as they weren’t centered in the bolt face. They seemed to be getting caught on the chamfer to the chamber mouth, and when pulling the bolt back then pushing it forward again, I was able to get them to feed since they were no longer caught and centered appropriately, just as you can.

I checked another few of my barrels and they didn’t have quite the same sharp edge on the chamfer (they feel like they’ve been rounded by polishing, breaking that edge), but until I get the new actions and bolts I won’t be able to test again and determine if the action/bolt change improves things - it’s going to be a few months. I’m still not sure the cause of my issue.

Photos and slow motion video are in my post.

Last edited:
Remove the ejector first. If the ejector is too long it will cause this problem. Plunger ejectors should generally be .020-.030 below the bolt nose
Remove the extractor second and re-test

Holy crap, removed the plunger and it ran 100% no problem…

So knowing that what are my options? New ejector or machine down the current one?

Reactions: ormandj

So knowing that what are my options? New ejector or machine down the current one?
Talk to whomever you got the action from and get them to figure it out. If they won’t help then reach out to the action mfg. Defiance was awesome with my issue and mailed me a shorter one to test with, even though it wasn’t my particular issue, and Altus stepped up in a huge way too.

Awesome yours was sorted that easily! You can shorten it yourself if you feel so inclined, but I’d chat with them first to make sure they are cool with that so you can maintain their support if needed. They should probably know if they have an issue with their ejectors so it can be fixed for production.

I’ve also seen people add a very small radius to the plunger, too, but I’d leave it up to the seller or mfg. to tell you what direction to go. If you have a micrometer, measure the distance from the bolt nose to the plunger face. Take a few measurements to get an average.

Last edited:

LOL, that is what I suggested! I'm glad you sorted it out

"
I'm going to buck the trend here a little bit and suggest the issue is actually with the bolt face, or a part on the bolt face...

From the video I think the cartridge is snagging, or getting hung up, on either the bottom lip of the bolt face, the extractor, or the ejector.

Would you be able to post a picture of your bolt face? I seriously think the culprit is the ejector. I bet the "edges" of it are very sharp (sharp as in very 90 degree angle of the cylinder, not "domed" at all) and it's biting into the brass. Once you back it off a hair it allows the rim to just sneak past that and go.

I think the marks up near the cartridge shoulder are a red herring. However... I would also not be surprised if what Trollygag said was correct and it's just a really rough chamber :p
"

I would try polishing the heck out of the plunger edges... maybe clamp it in a drill and hold some steel wool on it and then polish it really well.

LOL, that is what I suggested! I'm glad you sorted it out

"
I'm going to buck the trend here a little bit and suggest the issue is actually with the bolt face, or a part on the bolt face...

From the video I think the cartridge is snagging, or getting hung up, on either the bottom lip of the bolt face, the extractor, or the ejector.

Would you be able to post a picture of your bolt face? I seriously think the culprit is the ejector. I bet the "edges" of it are very sharp (sharp as in very 90 degree angle of the cylinder, not "domed" at all) and it's biting into the brass. Once you back it off a hair it allows the rim to just sneak past that and go.

I think the marks up near the cartridge shoulder are a red herring. However... I would also not be surprised if what Trollygag said was correct and it's just a really rough chamber :p
"

I would try polishing the heck out of the plunger edges... maybe clamp it in a drill and hold some steel wool on it and then polish it really well.
2BD2E047-D873-423B-98AD-BBE5C57C398A.jpeg

Top is a lone peak bolt, bottom is my action bolt. The ejector is pretty well rounded I think…I think it just needs to sit lower below the bolt face. If The manufacture doesn’t have another plunger to use I may just file off 1.-.2 thousand off it and polish it again

Top is a lone peak bolt, bottom is my action bolt. The ejector is pretty well rounded I think…I think it just needs to sit lower below the bolt face. If The manufacture doesn’t have another plunger to use I may just file off 1.-.2 thousand off it and polish it again

Ahh, yes, you're right, the edges of the ejector do look pretty good.

I agree with your assessment that it probably just sticks out a hair too much. It is cool you figured out which part is the culprit! Now that you know, you can definitely fix it, one way or another :-D

Ahh, yes, you're right, the edges of the ejector do look pretty good.

I agree with your assessment that it probably just sticks out a hair too much. It is cool you figured out which part is the culprit! Now that you know, you can definitely fix it, one way or another :-D

Got word they have a shorter one they’re sending me and it’s going out today! Hopefully this thing will be up and running by the weekend

Got word they have a shorter one they’re sending me and it’s going out today! Hopefully this thing will be up and running by the weekend
Always love it when the manufacturer says "Oh, right, we've got a new part to fix that". Makes you wonder if they had a known defect and just never bothered to tell their installed base of customers. Dealing with a similar issue right now with a component in a pretty expensive hand primer ... with that "Damn, that's weird, but the good news is we have an updated part that solves your problem" ... being the response. Worked in technology for decades and can't tell you how many gazillions of times I told a customer "That's a rare problem, but good news, we've fixed it in Version 4.7.1 of the Operating System code ... here's the link to download it." :mad: