• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Help with a Vortex

want to be

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Aug 3, 2018
I have a Vortex 5-25EBR-2c now and it is a great scope and meets my needs perfectly. I have found online a 5-25EBR-4 at a very good price. My question is can anyone compare the two scopes with each other? I know one is a FFP and the other is a SFP, all of my other scopes are SFP. Do you think I will have any issues with the FFP compared to SFP.

Listing the reticle doesn't give us much to go on. What model scopes are you talking about.

Reactions: FuhQ
Sorry for not giving all the info needed was in a hurry to get some opinions. The one I am looking to buy is the 5255 model it is FFP what I now have is model 5251. It will be used for just shooting paper and small steel out to 500 yds at this time.

You are going to want the first focal plane.

A second focal plane scope, the reticle subtensions are only accurate at 25x

You are going to want the first focal plane.

A second focal plane scope, the reticle subtensions are only accurate at 25x
This, though punching paper and plinking steel at known distances outside of the confines of a 2 way range or timed event makes the choice mostly moot.

This, though punching paper and plinking steel at known distances outside of the confines of a 2 way range or timed event makes the choice mostly moot.
Thanks, hlee, If I understand you correctly I would see no difference in the two scopes as far as the performance of tracking and clarity.

If both PST IIs it’s just a slightly different reticle as I recall, I had to hunt down a older model for my 22s 15x viper to match the 25x viper on my 308

If you have a SFP scope and; 1) are comfortable with its function for your use; 2) Do not need the reticle to range targets in a dynamic environment; 3) will be dialing elevation corrections and/or do not need accurate mil/moa holdover points in the reticle; 4) have no desire to try a FFP scope; then you are not missing anything by staying with SFP.

Some report that the reticle in a FFP scope can be difficult to see at minimum power in low light. That has not been my experience, but ymmv.

I doubt you will see a difference in clarity/reliability/basic usability between the two scopes within the same model line.

A FFP scope shines where the user desires to use the reticle to estimate range and/or hold over/under for elevation instead of dialing, across the whole magnification range.

Thanks, hlee, Yes I am very happy with the SFP I have now. As I said found a great price on the FFP scope and didn't want to pass it up, over $300 off. I am gathering part for a 6BR now.

Reactions: Caflashbob
Once you go FFP and get used to it, I think you will like it better. There is a little bit of learning that goes with it, but it will be good.

Add to cart for this price. Scott takes good pretty good care of us around here even if his website is stuck in the 90s.

0450B980-94BB-41E9-8DD3-31C3FCFB761E.png

Well pulled the trigger. Be here Friday, for the price I don't feel I could go wrong.

the 2c ffp at midway is $669. Bought one last month. $200 for the 7c vs the 2c?