• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Help with AB truing

Rifletuner

Private
Minuteman
Jul 9, 2007
Australia
I have an Accurate Ballistics truing question that I am hoping someone can help with. I put together a new 6XC / Berger 105gn load on the weekend. I zeroed my scope at 100 yards, chronographed the load, then entered the details into AB. I wanted to verify the results, and 300 yards was the farthest distance I could use on the range to check my data. AB told me to come up .9Mils which I dialled in, then shot the 300yard target. I fired 3 shots which all grouped 2” under the POA. So essentially .65 MOA low. The scope is a Mil/Mil scope, which is new to me, although I have been using MOA/MOA scopes for 25 years.

So the question is, what do I tell AB to true to? I would like to get my data as accurate as possible, since I have a match over the weekend, but wont have the opportunity to verify data again before the match commences.

Ideally you would want to true quite a bit further out but since that is all you have to work with them here is the equation you would do to find out the correct amount of mils to enter:

Correction (inches) / distance (hundred yards) = MOA change
MOA change number / 3.43 will give you the mil correction

2/3= .66666 / 3.43 = .194 mil correction

So you would be .9 + .194 = 1.09 mils is what you would enter in the AB truing for the correct mils to hit at 300

Thanks. I think came up with something just over a mil when I did some calculations. I know its not ideal, but I figured working with what I had was better than leaving it untrued.