• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Sidearms & Scatterguns Help with an S&W 640-1 and moon clips

Do-nothing

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
May 29, 2019
Hi folks,

Picked up a used performance center 640-1 some months back. Based on recommendations from you guys, I picked up some moon clips from TK Custom and their loading/unloading tools. Great service and extremely high quality items. Just got around to taking it to the range and ran into a big problem. The loaded clips are a bear to get into the cylinder and once loaded, the cylinder will not close. I checked with TK and verified I had the right clips for the ammunition. I corresponded with S&W giving them the serial number and verified the gun is a performance center model and is supposed to be cut for moon clips. I've never owned a revolver cut for clips but it looks like it is cut for clips to me. The cylinder will close with an empty clip in the cylinder if that helps. Any ideas/suggestions? S&W recommended that I send it in to them for inspection and repair if necessary. I already have the mailing slip and return authorization. Since I'm not the original owner, any repairs will likely be on my dime. Is it a possibility the cylinder cut is not as deep as necessary? S&W said clips are not needed. I'm concerned there might be a defect or other problem. If the gun is fine otherwise, I will likely sell the clips and loader and just use speed loaders. Appreciate any ideas.

Try it without the clips. Just looked on S&W website for the Model 640 and no mention on moon clips was made, My 642 does not use clips .

The performance center model is cut for clips. Mine looks like the picture. Very strange--hoping someone here might have a simple answer.

Is your PC640 .357 or is it .38? Apparently, there were a few made in .38.

Post a pic of an unloaded clip (showing any nomenclature) and some pics of a loaded clip placed in the cylinder.

Hi folks,

Picked up a used performance center 640-1 some months back. Based on recommendations from you guys, I picked up some moon clips from TK Custom and their loading/unloading tools. Great service and extremely high quality items. Just got around to taking it to the range and ran into a big problem. The loaded clips are a bear to get into the cylinder and once loaded, the cylinder will not close. I checked with TK and verified I had the right clips for the ammunition. I corresponded with S&W giving them the serial number and verified the gun is a performance center model and is supposed to be cut for moon clips. I've never owned a revolver cut for clips but it looks like it is cut for clips to me. The cylinder will close with an empty clip in the cylinder if that helps. Any ideas/suggestions? S&W recommended that I send it in to them for inspection and repair if necessary. I already have the mailing slip and return authorization. Since I'm not the original owner, any repairs will likely be on my dime. Is it a possibility the cylinder cut is not as deep as necessary? S&W said clips are not needed. I'm concerned there might be a defect or other problem. If the gun is fine otherwise, I will likely sell the clips and loader and just use speed loaders. Appreciate any ideas.
Assuming you're shooting 45ACP ... I have a S&W 625-3 (1989) that I shoot with Buffalo Bore Auto Rim ammo. WAY better than screwing with the moon clips.

I'm not where I can take pics. Will post tomorrow. Thanks!

Assuming you're shooting 45ACP ... I have a S&W 625-3 (1989) that I shoot with Buffalo Bore Auto Rim ammo. WAY better than screwing with the moon clips.
The 640 is a five shot J frame shooting .357 Magnum. I'm afraid AutoRim won't help much.

Do you have any of the clips that came with the 640? Maybe they are thinner than TKs. Are your clips marked .020?

Federal is supposed work.......a number of choices are eliminated with the Clip; might try a different box of Federal. Also TK offers two thickness sizes, which one are you using ?

For those interested, the pistol under discussion is a 640-1; shown below is mine that does not have the cylinders machined to recess the moon clip.

Screen Shot 2020-08-02 at 6.56.16 AM.png
DSCN3688 copy.JPG
CIMG9879 copy.JPG

I am not the most computer savvy person in the world. Can't get the pictures to post (Apple format). Anyway, I tried different ammo/clips and the cylinder will not close. I am wondering if there is an issue with the extractor. It does not appear to be as recessed as it should be. But what do I know. I'm going to send it back to S&W and let them take a look at it. I appreciate the help.

(S&W makes a number of different models of the 640. The standard versions are not cut for moon clips. The performance center version, in addition to the action work, etc., is cut for moon clips. I have a performance center version.)

TK does make two different sizes of J frame clips. I think .020 and .025. If you think it's the extractor, sending it in is your best move.

Since I'm not the original owner, any repairs will likely be on my dime.
OP, was this a private sale or did you buy from a gun shop? I bought a used S&W R8 revolver from Scheels. When I shot it, it had light primer strikes on 5 rounds out of 20 (on average). Scheels sent it in to S&W and they ended up replacing the entire frame. Other than the amount of time it took, there was no cost to me for any repairs.