• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Help with AR15 Sling Attachment

beetroot

Old Salt
Minuteman
Apr 10, 2018
Hi all,

I am a new comer to the world of AR15s having had inherited (sold so cheap it was almost free) and am looking for a way to mount a 2 point sling with my current set up of stock and handguard, I have attached pictures of the stock and handguard as well as a pic of the whole rifle as I thought it'd be rude to leave that out.

I want to attach a 2 point sling with QD mounts on the left hand side of the rifle, as seen it the stock picture there is a slot and 2 holes, the top hole is the perfect height (IMO) for the sling to be mounted, but it is an un-threaded hole, so unsure what I can fit there.
The rifle is a Remington R15 and the free float tube has two threaded holes that I think are 6-32 threads at 2.4" or 2 3/8'" centers, the slots are not an M-lok size not sure if they are a standard sized slot or not.

I know I could just loop some paracord or similar, but would like to use QD mounts if possible, and don't want to have metal sling hardware flopping around making noise on the rifle if I can avoid it.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

AR 3.jpg

AR 2.jpg

AR 4.jpg

Thread the web strap of the sling thought the slot on the butt stock- that is what it is for. Use the stud on the front. Aside from drilling and tapping your hand guard to accept a QD mount, or replacing it, I think this is as close as you are going to get.

You dont need to tap the forend, just drill it. IWC makes some great sling swivel mounts. I have two forends similar to yours that have been drilled and now have IWC flush cup mountsmon them. They make a couple of different radius' for different diameter handguards.

I would probably just thread the rear through the slot though.

Eta. I just checked their website and they do not seem to list them anymore. Maybe give them a call.

I'd see if there is a local place that has the old magpul MOE stuff (i.e. cabelas does here) and see if a MOE accessory will fit. Alternatively, I think may ultimately be easier to put a new barrel nut/handguard on it that already has the QD socket built in.

You could also post the pics on ar15 and see if they can ID the handguard so you can buy the right attachment.

Thread the web strap of the sling thought the slot on the butt stock- that is what it is for. Use the stud on the front. Aside from drilling and tapping your hand guard to accept a QD mount, or replacing it, I think this is as close as you are going to get.

I would just thread the sling through, but the slot is only 1" and my slings are all either 1.25" or 1.5".

I've done a fair bit of research and think I've found a solution, not the best but will do for the mean time, will likely end up buying a new handguard in the future as that is causing the most grief.

I'll post a reply and some pictures once the parts arrive.

Cheers