• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Help with barrel options

tmcginnis

Private
Minuteman
Sep 21, 2010
Texas
Hope i posted this in the right section.

I am looking to have my action sent off to GAP to be trued, and after some reading (and common sense) i have decided it would just be best to rebarrel at the same time for accuracy and convenient's sake. That being said, i come to a dilemma.

I am looking at doing a bartlein 20 inch in .308. Now i need to find a twist rate. This is where i cant decide. I have read in the reloading sections about using the 208 AMAX for long distance, but i have read (for the majority) that a 1:12 twist rate wont do the job. I would love to be able to shoot these, but am very partial to the 175 SMKs from Southwest Ammo and have also wanted to try out the 155 Scenars. So if i go down to a 1:10, will this disable me from using my beloved 175 SMKs? I hate to decide on a barrel for the simple fact of using one bullet, and i am in no financial situation to own several .308 cal rifles at the moment. Hopefully someone can help me here and clear this up, or maybe i am just asking for too much
cry.gif

Specs on rifle:
.308 Rem700
20 inch barrel
Rifle is used for paper, varmint, deer.

I shoot mainly in Central and West Texas.

Thank you for your time and input.

(PS... if the 208 AMAX's arent even worth it, someone please let me know haha)

Re: Help with barrel options

Run a Bartlein 1-11.25" twist on your .308 and you'll be good to go!!

Ahhh the 1:11.25
This is an option i have read about with mixed results. I didnt mention it because i wanted to see if anyone would consider it as a good alternative. Im actually really glad to hear this! Thanks man, i really do appreciate the response.
Does the 208 gr AMAX have any tendencies to tumble or lose stability (other than expected) out near the 700-1000 yard range if it is not stabilized by a 1:10?
Same question for the 155 Scenar with the same twist?

This is why i love this site, thanks!

If you go with the faster twist you'll still be able to shoot the 175's.

From what I have read most use the 1-11.25

It seems to shoot just about everything well, that's why you see a lot of people using it. It will stabilize a 208 just fine.

If you decide to go 1-10 then it too will also be fine with the 155's but will shine with the 175's and up.

Lowlights Gladius shoots the 155's very well to 1,000 and it's a 1-10 twist. As long as you use a well made barrel and it's chambered correctly it will shoot just about everything well as long as its not a really slow/fast twist (ie, 1-8 or 1-13)

I'm thinking that you're going to want to go with something faster than a 1:12 if you plan to shoot the 200+ grain bullets. I have a 1:12 Krieger. It shoots extremely well with everything up to the 175SMK. Group sizes during load development for the best load for each weight/type projectile, that I've tried, are almost indistinguishable. That is until I get to the 175 (or is it 178?) A-Max. My rifle falls on it's face and I can't get a group much better than 1 to 1.5MOA or so. The A-Max is a bit longer than the SMK, so I'm figuring that the 175SMK is about the length/weight limit for my 1:12 barrel.

Go with a 10 twist. It will shoot every bullet you want to shoot in a .308 from 155 right on up.

Good choice on the Bartlein also. Just had GAP screw one on my .308 and it's a hammer.

thanks for the help guys. just gonna pull the trigger on the 10 twist bartlein.
Just out of curiosity, if the 10 twist is better for the .308 "heavies" (208, 175, etc.) but will shine with the lighter bullets, why does remington install a 12 twist? Definitely not doubting you guys, just something i was wondering

Remington targets the average hunter and what he shoots with the typical .308 rifle. Most hunters do not typically shoot .308 bullets that heavy.

Yeah a 10 twist is good I shoot an 11, but only shoot 178's they get me to 1000 no problem.

Did you ever get the PM I sent you about shooting in Brownfield?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: springer01</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Remington targets the average hunter and what he shoots with the typical .308 rifle. Most hunters do not typically shoot .308 bullets that heavy.

Yeah a 10 twist is good I shoot an 11, but only shoot 178's they get me to 1000 no problem.

Did you ever get the PM I sent you about shooting in Brownfield? </div></div>

YES! i am so sorry for not replying. Completely forgot! I would love to catch up and shoot some. I am busy with school right now (3 tests this week) but hopefully we can get something together. I appreciate the willingness to help me shoot on your land.

Another question about barrels before i decide to go ahead and purchase:

I have read about people doing "tight bore" barrels, (im assuming a very tight tolerance?)
Obviously this would create higher pressures, but what are the advantages/disadvantages to this type of barrel? and what exactly is this haha

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dimar1492</div><div class="ubbcode-body">try the stability calculator on jbm ballistics. </div></div>

jbm is a great, quick, free way to check different bullets for different twists. Also, rsi shooting lab is awesome as well. Just something to think about on the next rifle
smirk.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">YES! i am so sorry for not replying. Completely forgot! I would love to catch up and shoot some. I am busy with school right now (3 tests this week) but hopefully we can get something together. I appreciate the willingness to help me shoot on your land.

Another question about barrels before i decide to go ahead and purchase:

I have read about people doing "tight bore" barrels, (im assuming a very tight tolerance?)
Obviously this would create higher pressures, but what are the advantages/disadvantages to this type of barrel? and what exactly is this haha
</div></div>

Yeah just holler, maybe we can catch a weekend without too much wind.

From what I understand tight bores are more for shooting smaller/shorter 155 bullets at higher velocities because of the slight pressure increase. A tight bore out of short 18" barrels shooting 155s get them out longer ranges because of the increase in pressure.

so if i plan on using a heavier SMK or AMAX, then i should stay away from this?

Also, i have been reading into the 5R rifling. There is ton of THEORY as to why it would be more efficient and accurate, but is it worth it. The way i see it, In THEORY, the Titanic could never sink, but i think we all know how that went.

Let me know what you think.

Either rifling is fine. It's more about the quality of the barrel and you will be fine either way with Bartlein.

I wouldn't recommend a tight bore. Stick with a standard 10 twist with either 4 groove or 5R barrel. I think mine that GAP screwed on is a 5R. I didn't specify. Just said put a barrel on LOL

IMO 5R, or 4 groove your not gonna really see any difference. For instance my barrel is a Broughton 5C, doubt I would be able to tell any difference if it was a Bartlein 5r, or 4 groove. A good quality barrel is what's gonna make the difference and they are all three that!